Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Family Car, and how yo haggle

• 28-06-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Looking to trade up shortly, from a fiat punto (never again:(). Looking for a suitable family car. I like the look of the Ford Focus, and had a ford fiesta before which I loved. Wondering if the Ford Focus is reliable. Budget is between €8 - €10. Ideally less I have to pay the better.
    Also any tips on how to haggle with car dealers, and what to say, are very welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd recommend the Focus, great car to drive and looks well. I drive a Focus 1.4 and find it a tad under powered so i'd recommend the 1.6 or above, the 1.4 is capable, you just wont go anywhere fast:rolleyes:. As for haggling, if you find a car post back here with the details and we can offer advise on how much to pay/offer, it's a buyers market so dont be afraid to be aggressive with your haggling, dealers will be desperate to sell these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭CraftySue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

it's a buyers market so dont be afraid to be aggressive with your haggling, dealers will be desperate to sell these days.

For a cash deal, yes - but trading a punto in? I'd say that's a lot of bargaining power gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

CraftySue wrote: »
    Looking to trade up shortly, from a fiat punto (never again:(). Looking for a suitable family car. I like the look of the Ford Focus, and had a ford fiesta before which I loved. Wondering if the Ford Focus is reliable. Budget is between €8 - €10. Ideally less I have to pay the better.
    Also any tips on how to haggle with car dealers, and what to say, are very welcome.:)

I see you are most likely from the Limerick region, you have 2 Ford dealers , Shields , Ennis road , & Lyons Ballysimon also Cavanaghs of Chareville.

Visit as many as you can & explain that you are shopping around & you are looking for their best quote & if they are competative at the end of the day , you will be back, you have not time for hagging or dealing & will only come back if they are competative.

most salemen hate timewasters , tyre kickers etc & will appreciate your approach .

remember to take into account the warranty, etc you are getting

while I mentioned ford dealers above you may very well get a better deal from a non ford dealer buying a pre owned vechicle

Beat of Luck with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lunar.wire

I bought a Ford Focus C-Max form Shields of Ennis for €7,500.
    Within 9 months the front strut, the power steering and the gearbox went.
    While it's fair enough for some things to go - didn't expect the gearbox to go.
    The best Shields would do is fix the gearbox for €300. I expected it to be fixed for free considering they sold me a faulty car.
    They repaired the gearbox and the power-steering problem. We picked the car up from repair on Thursday and now the belt conecting to the power steering pump has snapped. Leaving us stranded for the weekend.

Avoid Shields like the plague.

• Advertisement

lunar.wire wrote: »
    I bought a Ford Focus C-Max form Shields of Ennis for €7,500.
    Within 9 months the front strut, the power steering and the gearbox went.........

How long was the warranty with the car?

Oops Zombie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

8 to ten euro won't get you far. It won't even fill the tank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

RoverJames wrote: »
    How long was the warranty with the car?

lol

thats irrelevant AVOID AVOID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Please don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement