Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Car for MPG on the Mororway "HELP"

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Looking for a bit of advice? I travel about 88 miles return trip to work each day and petrol is costing me an arm and a leg.

Currently drive BMW 320SE, 2.2 L Petrol, 10 Years old....... I'm getting about 35-38 Miles per gallon.... so the clock tells me!! (176,000 Miles on the Clock). Most of my journey is at 100-120KPH so I need a car that has a bit of poke.

Does anyone do a similar journey and have you found a more economical car? Or any other suggestions please. (I'd love to around 55-70 MPG, especially the way fuel is going)

I have a budget of around €10-€12 K

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Accord Diesel...can get 60 M.P.G on the motorway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Coolcappa wrote: »
    I need a car that has a bit of poke.

(I'd love to around 55-70 MPG, especially the way fuel is going)

You can only have one or the other and no car will do 70mpg at speed regardless of what the maker says

A diesel 3/520d may be the best compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coolcappa

virtually all of my journey is either at 100kph or 120kph!! I'd want to buy something that was going to be reliable at that speed! Was looking at the Kia Ceed Pro? But not sure if it would be reliable enough doing high mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Was looking at the Kia Ceed Pro? But not sure if it would be reliable enough doing high mileage
    I've never heard anything negative about them in terms of reliability but don't expect it to be as refined as what you have.

I do consider them to be very good vallue and you should see 50mpg+ if it is the later model with a 6 speed box

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Most of my journey is at 100-120KPH so I need a car that has a bit of poke.
    It's a common misperception that motorway driving needs a powerful car. Any small modern car will cruise happily at that speed, it's driving on smaller roads that requires a bit of poke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's a common misperception that motorway driving needs a powerful car. Any small modern car will cruise happily at that speed, it's driving on smaller roads that requires a bit of poke.

You'd be suprised. Some Irish motorways have steep enough inclines, and many modern cars are highly geared for economy meaning in lower powered cars some extra gear changing is required.

Although for the most part I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Anan1 wrote: »
    I live in Ilford, just to the east of London. On Thursday I dropped off a neighbour to visit a friend in West Sussex. Distance according to the TomTom was 88 miles and I had probably done about 10 miles since I had filled tha car up. I filled it in West Sussex 8.4 litres. If I call that 98 miles in total it works out at 53mpg. A few miles in traffic, 50 miles or so motorway at a real 70-75 mph, 25 miles country roads and a few miles in traffic. 2001 Ford Ka.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, i think you are doing great if getting 35-38mpg from a 2.2 litre 6 cylinder petrol car. Diesel cars of similar size will see late 40s or early 50s mpg. My E90 diesel is getting around 52mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

10k or 12k would buy alot of petrol.

you would probably only save about 20 or 30 euro a week by changing, so it would take at least 6 years at current petrol prices before you make a saving by changing

surely if you are looking to save money then keeping your current car is the most economical solution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi OP,
    10k or 12k would buy alot of petrol.

you would probably only save about 20 or 30 euro a week by changing, so it would take at least 6 years at current petrol prices before you make a saving by changing

surely if you are looking to save money then keeping your current car is the most economical solution ?

I would be inclined to agree with the above poster, keeping your present car may be the best option, you are not going to make major savings.

Ensure tyres are correct pressure and maybe try and keep around 100 kph for most efficient economy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Coolcappa

It is still a very nice car, but it is 10 years old and is starting to get on a bit. I had to replace the rear break discs 3 months ago, so it might start costing me if I keep it going a few more years. Also the cost of taxing it each year is about €880 euros. At some point i'm going to have to buy, so just looking at getting some feedback on cars for good MPG.

I've also considered looking at something like the Honda Insight? A 2010 model is coming in around 14K

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is still a very nice car, but it is 10 years old and is starting to get on a bit. I had to replace the rear break discs 3 months ago, so it might start costing me if I keep it going a few more years. Also the cost of taxing it each year is about €880 euros. At some point i'm going to have to buy, so just looking at getting some feedback on cars for good MPG.

I've also considered looking at something like the Honda Insight? A 2010 model is coming in around 14K

Brake discs are wear and tear items, a newer car will have to have them replaced at some time too. Also the tax system is being changed in this years budget. The days from cheap motor tax are coming to an end. Just do the maths before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

e90 320d?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If all you are doing is motorway driving then you are unlikely to get the benefits of a hybrid like the Insight which provides better fuel economy by regenerative braking (i.e. capturing the energy lost by normal cars when braking). You shouldn't be braking much on motorways and will have a penalty from carrying around the electric motors and battery.

Advertisement