Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Economics: Postgraduate Options?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello All,

Looking for some opinions on options for studying economics at postgraduate level. I have a B.A Econ - graduated last year, working full time but looking to do a masters so i can get job as economist or more economics related area.

if you've any opinions on anything related to this please share.

Part-time vs Full-time study?

options for part-time study in Ireland?

Studying for a masters via Distance learning - i've been looking at the University of Londons external study programme and in particular their MSC Finance (Major:Economic Policy). however, finding it really hard to find any decent info on distance learning (for masters degree) in general and which universities (anywhere in the world) offer programmes, and if they are any use.

any help or suggestions will be appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

hey man, I'm currently completing the M.Sc. Econ in Trinity. It's pretty rigorious, giving a grounding in advanced micro, macro, with an emphasis on econometrics (i.e. research)

It's a fairly rough year, in terms of work and pressure and what have you, but only form September till March, then you do a dissertation, which is fine.

I've been told its got a good reputation, but it's hard to know for sure...I'm kinda hopin thats the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

Hi Andrew,

I cant be of much use to you but I have been looking at the University of London distance learning option. It is hard to make a judgement as to the benefits.....jump into the unknown

I am doing a course in Renewable Energy via distance learning. I find it ok, maybe not as rigorous as you might expect a full time course in a classroom but still giving a good basis on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andrewm4894

thanks for the reply's. think i've pretty ruled out going back full time at the moment. saving for house and want to be in position to take advantage of falling market so need to get deposit together.

anyone any experience of the part-time courses on offer from irish uni's?

i know UCD dont have one and Trinity's is 12,000 a year! (would have to be a pretty damm good business case to get my employer to stump up that kind of cash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Have you considered the Open University? They are quite good.

http://www.open.ac.uk/

have considered Open University but they dont really have any postgraduate economics degrees.

if anyone has any experience of the University of London external system [i'm looking at Msc Finance (Major:Econ Policy)] i'd really like to hear about it or if you know anyone who would have a fairly authoritative and independent opinion on it i'd love to hear it. Or if anyone could point me in right direction to where i might get any of this then that would be great also.

don't feel i have all the relevant information yet on which to base a decision!:confused:

Also if anyone else wants to post anything about studying postgraduate economics please feel free to do so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Also if anyone else wants to post anything about studying postgraduate economics please feel free to do so...
    Well you have said that full time study is out the window so that doesn't leave many options.

You can give this and this a read if you would like to know about the UCD taught masters just for curiosity's sake.

was surprised UCD don't have any part-time options, would have definitely looked at them.

p.s. i meant if anyone wants to expand post-grad econ study in general without reference to my own particular situation/preferences then feel free to do so

Another link to a distance learning economics masters

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cepmlp/

Thanks shakeydude

not sure but you may be interested in some of the courses here if you have not already seen this
    http://www.soas.ac.uk/cedep/programmes/appenveco/applied-environmental-economics.html
    there is some interesting environmental economics type courses on offer and you can also pay by course if your only interested in one or two particular areas.

Yeah that looks like something that I would be interested in alright. I am an engineer working in the renewables but I would like to get some background on aspects of carbon trading, methods to quantify the implications of this on business practices.

I am not sure of how people view these courses/colleges. I wouldnt want to be revealed in years to come in having a dodgy credentials like a former taoiseach:p

• Advertisement

shakeydude wrote: »
    I am not sure of how people view these courses/colleges.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/

Yeah have been struggling to find review/opinions on the courses and college - found all the info at times online very useful in putting my mind at ease about SOAS. Of course info on wikipedia is worth reading aswell.

There is a paper in the Economic and Social Review by Richard Tol and Frances Ruane which talks about the rankings of both Irish Economics Depts. and Irish Economists.

Its a good read if nothing else.

Edit: www.esr.ie - Vol 38, 3

There is a paper in the Economic and Social Review by Richard Tol and Frances Ruane which talks about the rankings of both Irish Economics Depts. and Irish Economists.

Its a good read if nothing else.

Edit: www.esr.ie - Vol 38, 3

Have a guess who came top of that list?

Interesting, nonetheless.

in case anyone is interested::

i found out the other day that the MSc. Economics in Trinity can be done part-time starting in sep 2008. deadlines for apps are end of July.

cost is 7,500 each year - 15,000 altogether in fees.

apparently course is very hard and quantitative (to be expected i guess as MSc.).

seriously considering it myself but a bit dubious as it's the first year and unsure how it will be delivered and what resources would be there to help part-time students on what is (by all accounts) a very tough full time course. also a bit pricey

hmmmm

Why not do it full time, you would be finished the taught element by March?

main reason is that i want to be in position by 2009/2010 (or when market bottoms out/crashes) to buy a house so want to keep saving a bit towards deposit.

also way things are going i don't think i should throw away my (decent enough) graduate job so easily as it might be harder again to get one next year (i dont really believe that too much but not taking the risk).

then there is working in the 'real world' experience - i think its important (not sure yet exactly how) to get some of this to help later on in figuring out what really want etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

NUIM offer part-time masters.
    http://economics.nuim.ie/postgraduate/ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Have a guess who came top of that list?

Interesting, nonetheless.

To be fair, Richard Tol will never win awards for being the most rounded individual - but he is a quite brilliant economist...

Just an observation, my boy, just an observation.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bubbledoll

hi, i completed the 2 year part time msc in economic policy studies in tcd. was good course and would recommend it if you can get work to fork out the fees - it dont come cheap

To be fair, Richard Tol will never win awards for being the most rounded individual - but he is a quite brilliant economist...

Also depends on your criteria - he has he highest output, but the isn't the most cited.

Advertisement