Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Saloon car - Reliable and Fuel efficient

Options
  • 07-04-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Everyone,
    I am planning to buy a diesel saloon car.
    Reliability and fuel efficiency are the core points.
    Should be comfortable and a bit of fun to drive as well.(off from 2.0 140 bhp petrol xtrail)
    previous petrol cars,all were reliable and i am stepping in first time for a diesel car

Would really appreciate your valuable suggestions and advices on this,as i am stuck on what car to buy next.

Initially 3 cars came to my mind,mazda 6 2.2d,passat and bmw 520d(all 2008 n above)

But later checking on reviews,found timing chain issues with 520d,dpf with mazda 6 and bit of else with passat(found less on passat)like Passat CC as well.

My driving is mixed - outer city and rural,roughly 2500 kms per month and more
    Dont mind if its below 2008 also.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How much to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even by modern diesel standards, none of those you called out are exactly bomb proof.

What sort of budget do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aravmithun

dgt wrote: »
    How much to spend?

up to 16k,thanks

Including or plus the value of the X-Trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

would buy a skoda superb. Had a 2010 for two years. could not fault it build quality drive all better than the 2008 passat, had that feeling of luxury too. IMO nicer looking than passat too.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Including or plus the value of the X-Trail?

xtrail sold....so need a car,stretch upto 16 k,dont mind cars from 2005 and above as well if its good reliable and fuel efficient

thanks

OP, have a look at the Honda Accord:

media?xwm=y&id=62feb9f9-76fd-4f43-a3b8-b3c1cc0d75c2&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/DTEC-ES/38713922816561570/

Fuel economy not the best in class but as modern diesels go it is pretty reliable.

OP, have a look at the Honda Accord:

media?xwm=y&id=62feb9f9-76fd-4f43-a3b8-b3c1cc0d75c2&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/DTEC-ES/38713922816561570/

Fuel economy not the best in class but as modern diesels go it is pretty reliable.

what mpg will u get on accord on mixed driving,almost every day drive on to city but not really that much stuck in traffic,just the signals mainly.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Aren't the post 2008 Passats with the CR engines supposed to be better then the 05 to 08 models.

Id say a lot of the bad press you see online about the post 05 Passat is down to the pre 08s - I think they sorted a lot of the issues out by 08.

Just to reinforce that - you seem to hear a lot less about issues with the CC model - which came out in 08.

Personally I think the CC is a stunning looking car.

Well my 11 reg CC with less than 50k miles ate it's gearbox and subsequently needed a new flywheel and clutch too. Luckily all 3 were replaced under warranty. Not saying that is a common problem on them but it happened to mine all the same.

OP Accord should return low to mid 40s mpg but I'd live with that with the knowledge it is less likely to break on you.

• Advertisement

Well my 11 reg CC with less than 50k miles ate it's gearbox and subsequently needed a new flywheel and clutch too. Luckily all 3 were replaced under warranty. Not saying that is a common problem on them but it happened to mine all the same.

OP Accord should return low to mid 40s mpg but I'd live with that with the knowledge it is less likely to break on you.

That's a fair point :(

Thought yours was just a one off when you mentioned it before :(

Was that an oil leak or something that caused all the harm - or am I thinking of someone elses car :confused:

Yeah, oil leaking from a fracture in the gearbox subsequently spilling onto the clutch plate causing the clutch to start slipping, also leaked onto the flywheel damaging it and beginning to judder, gearbox was close to ceasing obviously too.

To be fair though both dealers that looked at said it was unusual to get one in with that problem.

Yeah, oil leaking from a fracture in the gearbox subsequently spilling onto the clutch plate causing the clutch to start slipping, also leaked onto the flywheel damaging it and beginning to judder, gearbox was close to ceasing obviously too.

To be fair though both dealers that looked at said it was unusual to get one in with that problem.

thank goodness you had a warranty to sort it all out :(

Yep, VW UK covered it but VW Ireland offered 75% goodwill as they didn't cover the 3rd year of the UK warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a 2009 accord 2.2 es gt idtec and its great to drive, getting about 46 - 48mpg with 85% motorway driving ....but I dont tend to hang about and usually drive at low to mid 80's mph if the conditions are suitable. On the type accord website there are taxi drivers doing 99% town work getting 44/46mpg.

Few things though; Boot is surprisingly small for a car that size. Most of them do not come with a spare tyre, just a can of latex, not going to help with a large hole in tyre. Lots of town driving will clog the DPF like most diesels with them fitted, I dont know if accord is better or worse for it. Speakers can buzz in early models (2008, 2009) and Honda replaced them in the first couple of years but pretend they never heard of the issue now and will not help with replacement (one of mine started buzzing). There is also reports of rust around the sunroof (only sunroof models) and some clutches needing to be replaced early....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't believe anyone who says they get that mpg around town.

Going over 120kmph can have a huge effect in your mpg.

Hi All,
    thanks for all your valuable inputs....

Whats your opinion on nissan qashqai 1.5dci,seems to give good mpg,thought this one for one reason only,the height which is easy to bring in and out children off car seats.Not to break my back.

How is the ride comfort,will it soak all the harsh bumps and potholes ?
    How is the handling,my xtrail was good at handling even at sharp bends and corners.
    Also,is 1.5 dci sluggish or not ?

Any technical,mechanical issues on them...

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the valuable discussions....

Now got a deal on a vw passat 2010 1.6 tdi with 125000 kilometres/77 miles,in black, highline spec,irish car for 14.5k,what u all think abt the price ?
    Is it bit high or normal market price ?
    The car comes after 4 years lease back to the original fleet company for sale,told it was properly serviced by a garage all 4 years.

On my way within next few days to test drive.

Need all your valuable suggestions....

Thanks in advance

Here is a 2011 B7 model with similar mileage for around the same money. 2.0 TDi is more powerful and a lot nicer to drive than the 1.6 TDi in the heavy Passat:

media?xwm=y&id=af251a0c-bfb5-4c68-b8eb-405ccb6f2050&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/2.0-TDI/38713921174837910/

Thanks mate,
    but somehow i dont like the new b7 shape,prefer the old b6 shape.

yes,that was a good deal,thanks for pointing out.....

• Advertisement

The B7 is just a heavily facelifted B6 anyway.

The B7 is just a heavily facelifted B6 anyway.

B7 can look really nice (imo) when specced up a bit - nice leather rear privacy glass, nice colour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

E
    aravmithun wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all the valuable discussions....

Now got a deal on a vw passat 2010 1.6 tdi with 125000 kilometres/77 miles,in black, highline spec,irish car for 14.5k,what u all think abt the price ?
    Is it bit high or normal market price ?
    The car comes after 4 years lease back to the original fleet company for sale,told it was properly serviced by a garage all 4 years.

On my way within next few days to test drive.

Need all your valuable suggestions....

Thanks in advance

Check for electrical issues on B6 dash rattles on B7

noelf wrote: »
    E

Check for electrical issues on B6 dash rattles on B7

which all are the main concerns on electrical issues other than parking brake switch

Here is a 2011 B7 model with similar mileage for around the same money. 2.0 TDi is more powerful and a lot nicer to drive than the 1.6 TDi in the heavy Passat:

how is the mpg on 2.0 tdi ? city driving and r roads mainly,occasional motorway miles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

aravmithun wrote: »

how is the mpg on 2.0 tdi ? city driving and r roads mainly,occasional motorway miles

You should be buying the 1.4tsi in that case.

Yes, with that sort of driving it sounds like you don't need a diesel.

Yes, with that sort of driving it sounds like you don't need a diesel.

Any petrol (saloon not a must) with good mpg you could recommend....

thanks

Not too many petrol cars available in the Passat size segment these days.

Passat 1.4 TSi, despite it's size it has a turbo charger and produces 122bhp.

media?xwm=y&id=f1174eb0-f64d-413a-9931-5786f0eb0c8d&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/Comfortline-1.4TSI/39313926760345340/

Toyota Avensis 1.6 dual VVTi (130bhp). No turbo or anything fancy under the bonnet to go wrong. They are not bad on fuel either.

media?xwm=y&id=7eb39182-df3e-4c7a-b203-c892ca75d6fe&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/1.6-STRATA/37113873830965010/

A hybrid is worth looking at too if you do a lot of city driving, something like a Prius. Again these are very reliable and can return good fuel economy:

media?xwm=y&id=21e63979-32f1-4d1f-89ce-7bda4cef2c8d&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Prius/T-SPIRIT/44213947333271600/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

would buy a skoda superb. Had a 2010 for two years. could not fault it build quality drive all better than the 2008 passat, had that feeling of luxury too. IMO nicer looking than passat too.

Obviously a +1 from me on this one :)
    I struggle to get below 48-50 mpg, my last tank was €70 and did 550 miles for instance.

Advertisement