Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do we all think of Frasier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

leahyl wrote: »
    Love, love, love Frasier! Niles was the best! One of my favourite episodes was the one where Frasier and Niles are competing to buy the best birthday present for Martin

Ah come on Leah! It's the 21st Century, we dont have to do transcripts or re-enactments...

It's at 7:35 in that video.. Gift Horse is one of my favourites as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Love it for the most part, watched every episode last year and found Martin's character to be fairly homophobic in the earlier seasons. Was definitely a bit of a turnoff.

siblers wrote: »
    Love it for the most part, watched every episode last year and found Martin's character to be fairly homophobic in the earlier seasons.

Kind of ironic given that John Mahony is gay himself... And Niles... And Bulldog.... And Gil Chesterton..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Kind of ironic given that John Mahony is gay himself... And Niles... And Bulldog.... And Gil Chesterton..

David Hyde Pierce, yes.

Dan Butler, yes.

Edward Hibbert, yes.

But John Mahoney isn't gay. He does it really well in "Out With Dad", but in real life, he's not. At least not according to any biographies I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Another favourite episode of mine, watching it now, "A Tsar is born".

The look on their faces when Martin tells them they are royalty. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have watched, rewatched and watched again most episodes of Frasier and love it every time. It does cringe like no other and does some genuine laugh out loud regularly.

My favourite scene has to be Niles preparing himself for a date in Frasiers Apartment. Totally hammed up nonsense, but abolsutely hilarious

Another episode I love is when Daphnes ex - Clive, visits and they are all lying through their teeth to him. Roz is Maris, Frasier is married to her, Niles is married to Daphne. Pure class.

Possibly my favourite over the top episode, and I dont know the title, is the one where they find the actor who made them love Shakespeare. Turns out his an an awful ham. But they have him booked to do a 1 man show. The usual farce ensues. Does anyone know the title as I have looked for it on Netflix and cannot find it?

In short - its my favourite comedy of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I love the episode where Marty, Frasier and Niles are all watching the Antiques Roadshow, and they play a drinking game where they all have a slug whenever the word "veneer" is mentioned. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

one of the best!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Another thing I loved about Frasier was the line up of women that dated him. More or less all of them were stunners. My absolute favorite was Virginia Madsen

https://www.google.ie/search?q=virginia+madsen+frasier&client=firefox-a&hs=KDN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=l4MuVPm3F8PV7gbZ6ICICQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1268&bih=833

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,222 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

gimmick wrote: »
    Possibly my favourite over the top episode, and I dont know the title, is the one where they find the actor who made them love Shakespeare. Turns out his an an awful ham. But they have him booked to do a 1 man show. The usual farce ensues. Does anyone know the title as I have looked for it on Netflix and cannot find it?

'The Show Must Go Off'

Season 8, Episode 12

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Another episode I love is when Daphnes ex - Clive, visits and they are all lying through their teeth to him. Roz is Maris, Frasier is married to her, Niles is married to Daphne. Pure class.
    The two Mrs. Cranes, definitely one of my top 5 episodes!!

In short - its my favourite comedy of them all.
    "The show must go" off I'm pretty sure. Season 8 ep 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Great show.
    IMO went downhill after Niles got the girl (kinda like Only Fools and Horses did when the lads got rich).
    It's a great premise (Frasier's pomposity pricked endlessly) and the idea his brother is a more extreme version shouldn't work on comedic paper but only makes it better.
    Love David Hyde Pierce's portrayal of Niles.
    Obviously Marty's salt of the earth father works really well against this providing endless gags.

The plots are always great and the writing can be sparkling when they're on form.
    As I say though, for me it went downhill in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Also.
    Lilith = total babe :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The series or 2 which Lana is in I am not mad about. Dont think she was a good fit for the show at all. Her son, Kirby, just irritated me.

I loved the episodes with Bebe. The horrible over acting between herself and Frasier is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭boosabum

Great show and dated fairly well too i think.
    Loved the episode when Frasier is jumping on his bed in the beach resort mimicing wild sex because he thinks Lilith is in the adjoining room.
    That and the show where he has "3 dates"............. classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

One of my favourites. Love Niles at the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

just FYI, there are 3 episodes of Frasier on C4 every morning. I record em and watch em each night even though Ive seen em all before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

dnme wrote: »
    Another thing I loved about Frasier was the line up of women that dated him. More or less all of them were stunners. My absolute favorite was Virginia Madsen

https://www.google.ie/search?q=virginia+madsen+frasier&client=firefox-a&hs=KDN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=l4MuVPm3F8PV7gbZ6ICICQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1268&bih=833

My BF considered Amy Brenneman by far the hotter of the two in that little love triangle. :)

http://blogs.courant.com/curtain/Amy%20Brenneman.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Frasier and Cheers is on American netflix. I haven't seen much of cheers, but young frasier is crazy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

cloud493 wrote: »
    Frasier and Cheers is on American netflix. I haven't seen much of cheers, but young frasier is crazy :pac:

This needs to be corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

That the show won 31 Emmys in all speaks to the wit and talent of writers and cast alike.
    Like others posted here, enjoyed the characters of Roz and Niles most along with that of Frasier himself.

The excellent Laura Linney features as Charlotte the matchmaker on today's episode (Ch4).

Frasier along with Seinfeld and the original Two and Half Men w Charlie Sheen (prior to his OTT phase) were some of the great entertaining sitcoms IMHO.

"I cut myself because I was shaving without water. And why was there no water? Because I had to move your chair, which gouged the floor, which made me call for Joe, who found bad pipes, who called for Cecil... who killed the cat that ate the rat THAT LIVED IN THE HOUSE THAT FRASIER BUILT!"

:D

DazMarz wrote: »
    who called for Cecil... who killed the cat that ate the rat THAT LIVED IN THE HOUSE THAT FRASIER BUILT!":D

That's in my top ten, Daz...

Another one, was in My Fair Frasier.... Frasier is talking to the family about how his new girlfriend may be intimidated by his fame, only to find out that she is on the TV talking to Larry King and has had relationships with MANY handsome and famous actors... On learning of this Frasier is feeling insecure, but Daphne tries to quench his insecurities...
    Daphne: Don't let him shake your confidence. You'll be fine. Maybe she's had her fare of attractive men and is ready for a change.
    Frasier: WELLL..........aren't I lucky?! Normally a forest troll like me has to trick a woman to get a date!

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Great show. Seen them all. Yer man from Without a Trace with the dodgy English accent is the only character I don't like.

• Advertisement

So many brilliant quotes and scenes... it really was the absolute peak of comedy. I've been binging on it of late, and it is so side-splitting at times.

'Niles, I've got news for you - Copernicus called and you are not the centre of the universe!'

Heard that on an episode this morning, cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

No one has mentioned the last ever episode. Probably the ideal conclusion to a sitcom of all time.

The moment from when Frasier and everyone else in the room have their wires crossed (they think he's dying when he's really moving to San Fran), to when he gives his farewell send-off on air, has me in a flood of tears every time.

"For eleven years you heard me say "I'm listening". Well you were listening too. And for that I'm enternally grateful. Goodnight Seattle".

It's Niles' last line that always gets me.
    "I'll miss the coffees."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I couldn't stand the show for years but when my wife was on maternity leave she started watching them from the start and I was soon hooked.
    Channel 4 run it on the early morning schedule and I nearly always have it on while I'm doing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I caught a season 1 episode on saturday. Still funny no matter how many times i see it. Its the one where Lilith finds a letter from Frasier and comes to seattle to try and reconcile. Bebe Neuwirth is fantastic. As always.

Lilith: [to Eddie] Go away!

[Eddie runs off]

Frasier: Now why does he listen to you and not to me?

Lilith: By my tone of voice. He knows I mean business.

Frasier: I see, so you're saying your voice is more commanding than mine.

Martin: Hell, I took half a step before I realized she was talking to the dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

From season 2 "The inkeepers", probably my favourite episode

Frasier: I've got it, Niles, I've got it! Le Freres Heureux.

Niles: "The Happy Brothers"... Brilliant! It's homey, but just hard enough to pronounce to intimidate the riff-raff!

Frasier: Yes! We'll make the place very, very exclusive! No sign on the outside, no advertisements and oh, an unlisted number!

Martin: Hey, well don't stop there! Maybe you could post some guards on the roof who can shoot people as they try to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The is one of my favourite bits.

Roger (caller on Frasiers show): [v.o.] Well, I had a really good year. I decided hey, why not reward myself? So I bought what I really wanted - a forty-eight foot cabin cruiser. Want to know how much it cost me? I'll tell you how much it cost me: three hundred grand, not to mention the twenty thou for the custom teak decking. Now, here's my problem: the wife wants to call this incredible vessel Lulubelle, after her mother. Lulubelle! So I say, "no, we call it the Intrepid." So what do you think it should be called? Lulubelle or the Intrepid?

Frasier: [after a beat] Roger, at Cornell University they have an
    incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling
    electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that
    by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom,
    the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe.
    Roger, if I were using that microscope right now... I still
    wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem. Thank
    you for your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

adore Fraiser.
    the best comedy show ever.

the Valentines day episode is a classic. can't remember what season, but nearly died laughing at Niles ironing something, and nothing is said for ages. hilarious.

Daphne is the straight man to the rest, but good also.
    Lilleth is brilliant. so cutting. - ow.

but my all time favourites are Niles and Eddie (parts 1 and 2);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I love Fraiser, its one of those reassuringly warm shows you can throw on and feel good instantly. The dialogue was razor sharp and Kelsey k had serious comic timing.
    my personal favorite epsisode was the one with Michael Keaton.....two amazing comedy actors doing their thing. Great ending to that episode, there needed to be more michael keaton in fraiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The episode with Michael Keaton as the con man in the wheelchair is absolutely hilarious.

Perfection imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

tunguska wrote: »
    my personal favorite epsisode was the one with Michael Keaton.....two amazing comedy actors doing their thing. Great ending to that episode, there needed to be more michael keaton in fraiser
    The episode with Michael Keaton as the con man in the wheelchair is absolutely hilarious.

Perfection imo.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Perfection imo.

Niles: So, what did Lilith say? Has Blaine really lost the use of his legs?
    Frasier: She says she doesn't know, but hopes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Love "Frasier". One of the funniest sitcoms of all time. Have recently completed a full re-watch. While there is definitely a dip in quality from Season 7 onwards it's not quite as bad as what I remembered. There are still plenty of top notch episodes in the latter seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Gil had some great lines (arguably the best). There was an episode where he described talking to somebody as like being cornered by a Chatty Cobra.........brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

tunguska wrote: »
    Gil had some great lines (arguably the best). There was an episode where he described talking to somebody as like being cornered by a Chatty Cobra.........brilliant.

I love the episode where Frasier is having erotic dreams about Gil and he finds out, and there is a scene where Gil is standing outside Frasier's studio suggestively eating a chocolate eclair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I also love the episode where they all dress up as their hero for Halloween and Roz dresses up as Wonder Woman and Daphne as Elton John - I'm in stitches just thinking about it!

It's funny, because one of my friends is always comparing me to Frasier Crane. In fairness, he's got a point on some of the accusations:

-I do tend to be a bit snobbish sometimes, though not as aggressively as Frasier

-I'm a coffee connoisseur and very picky about my coffee

-I would be very well educated and tend to keep up with all current affairs and politics

-At times that suit me, I can be very eloquent and frequently use what would be described as "big words"

-I dress very formally all the time, rarely being seen out of suit, shirt and tie

-I do have an appreciation for classical music (that said, it's not my favourite genre; heavy metal gets that nod!)

-I tend to get very overwrought and panicky, a la Frasier, when things go tits up

-I am considered to be the most cultured and mature of my social group (we're all in our mid-20's, and I've been described as being mentally in my mid-40's since my late teens!)

-I have a growing appreciation for wine and sherry and such

-I would consider myself very ethical, honest and would always try to do the right thing

-Deep appreciation for arts, culture, humanities and a fairly liberal, left-wing outlook on things

-Very opinionated on a lot of subjects and never like being told I'm wrong (even less abiding of being PROVEN wrong)

-Would not be the most handy person with DIY, nor would I be at home in a nature setting

-I very much prefer comfort and have a "thing" for the finer things in life

So, I don't take being compared to Frasier as an insult at all. :D

In Lilith Needs A Favor, when Lilith travels to see Frasier to ask him about having another child. Lilith says that she would like Frasier to be the father so that Freddie would have a full sibling. Frasier then questions her about how the conception would take place..

Lilith: Frasier, don't misunderstand, I'm not proposing any change in our relationship.
    Frasier: Would we... sleep together?
    Lilith: I thought we'd freeze your sperm.
    Frasier: Is that a "yes" or a "no"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

DazMarz wrote: »
    It's funny, because one of my friends is always comparing me to Frasier Crane. In fairness, he's got a point on some of the accusations:

-I do tend to be a bit snobbish sometimes, though not as aggressively as Frasier

-I'm a coffee connoisseur and very picky about my coffee

-I would be very well educated and tend to keep up with all current affairs and politics

-At times that suit me, I can be very eloquent and frequently use what would be described as "big words"

-I dress very formally all the time, rarely being seen out of suit, shirt and tie

-I do have an appreciation for classical music (that said, it's not my favourite genre; heavy metal gets that nod!)

-I tend to get very overwrought and panicky, a la Frasier, when things go tits up

-I am considered to be the most cultured and mature of my social group (we're all in our mid-20's, and I've been described as being mentally in my mid-40's since my late teens!)

-I have a growing appreciation for wine and sherry and such

-I would consider myself very ethical, honest and would always try to do the right thing

-Deep appreciation for arts, culture, humanities and a fairly liberal, left-wing outlook on things

-Very opinionated on a lot of subjects and never like being told I'm wrong (even less abiding of being PROVEN wrong)

-Would not be the most handy person with DIY, nor would I be at home in a nature setting

-I very much prefer comfort and have a "thing" for the finer things in life

So, I don't take being compared to Frasier as an insult at all. :D

I was told I was a Niles- and not for the good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Up there in my all time favourite top 5.

The solo by Niles when he catches his pants on fire, cuts himself, faints due tothe sight of blood & subsequently spread the fire all in the company of Eddie is outstanding :):)

In Lilith Needs A Favor, when Lilith travels to see Frasier to ask him about having another child. Lilith says that she would like Frasier to be the father so that Freddie would have a full sibling. Frasier then questions her about how the conception would take place..

Lilith: Frasier, don't misunderstand, I'm not proposing any change in our relationship.
    Frasier: Would we... sleep together?
    Lilith: I thought we'd freeze your sperm.
    Frasier: Is that a "yes" or a "no"?

'as enticed as I am by your honeyed words....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's an absolutely brilliant show.

I'm writing this as I'm reading through the thread and I can keep picturing all the scenes mentioned and I'm laughing away to myself.

I think Ham Radio is easily my favourite episode, Niles' breakdown at the end was brilliant, along with Gil trying to get that one line in at every opportunity and Frasier's criticism of the voice actor.

Another great one was with the Shakespearean actor (played by Derek Jacobi) who turns out to be a complete ham:

There's so many other ones I can think of: the one with the skull and they inadvertently got their old neighbour arrested for murder; the one with the intern at the radio station and they both try to bribe him because his grandad's a wine connoiseur; Frasier and Niles going to the gay bar; the guy with the boat who becomes friends with Frasier and seduces Roz; the episode where Frasier is jealous of the new guy at the station but finds out he's a terrible singer and has him sing in front of everyone (just for the bit when Frasier announces his plan, Niles tries to talk him out of it until Daphne mentions how attractive the guy is and Niles then insists on playing the piano); the ski resort; the one with Michael Keaton. I could go on forever.

Definitely, the show thrived on the relationship between Frasier and Niles and, to a lesser extent, Martin. Niles was simply incredible, one of the funniest characters I've ever seen and performed brilliantly by David Hyde Pierce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Perfection imo.

For some reason that episode really irritates me and I can't watch. Probably because he gets away with it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Real chemistry between the characters and the script writers were amazing.

I didn't get the show at all at first I admit, presuming it was entertainment exclusively for middle class snobs until I realised they were actually taking the piss out them and how ridiculous they are.

I think that was the role Martin Crane , Daphanie, & Roz's characters served cause Fraiser & Niles's characters couldn't have become even mildly likable otherwise.

Favourite episodes. featured Bulldog &Phoebe heavily. Still remember the episode when Niles met Bulldog for the first time and asked him why he didn't air the sqash results on his show.
    Phoebe was a great character too.

Advertisement