Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is Friends still that popular?

• 27-09-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

On the topic of Friends 20th anniversary..I was in a college lecture the other day and the lecturer did a random survey just for a graph..and the asked the boys what is their favorite TV show and Revenge came up on top. Then they asked all the girls what is their favorite TV show and Friends was the most popular. Is Friends still that popular?, I know its on Comedy Central 20 times a day but I had no idea that so many people still watch it..I was kind of taken back and didn't know it was watched this much 10 YEARS after it ended..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Revenge? Really?

Friends is one of those shows that will always be talked about. I'd say people say it's their favourite show even when they haven't watched a full episode in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Revenge? Aren't you meant to say Breaking Bad if you're a guy?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Friends is pretty timeless, had a fantastic cast and, thanks to near constant repeats on e4, pretty much everyone has seen at least a few episodes.

The more surprising thing to me is that so many people chose Revenge as their favourite show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Friends is a show for women really.

I've never seen Revenge but based on the synopsis I read on the internet I can't imagine a group of men saying it was their favourite show of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I have never even heard of Revenge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I never ever saw the reason for the popularity of Friends. Sure it's "good".... but you can say the same for Will and Grace, the Big Bang theory, Everybody Loves Raymond... they're all "good", so many other shows. To achieve iconic status surely you need more than a few formulaic laughs, and Friends never gave that for me. To me it's not even funny most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I never ever saw the reason for the popularity of Friends. Sure it's "good".... but you can say the same for Will and Grace, the Big Bang theory, Everybody Loves Raymond... they're all "good", so many other shows. To achieve iconic status surely you need more than a few formulaic laughs, and Friends never gave that for me. To me it's not even funny most of the time.

Friends is great because it had something for everyone. Great juvenile and sarcastic humour with Chandler and Joey, some smart person humour with Ross, neurotic humour with Monica and ditzy humour with Rachel. You could say musical humour with Phoebe but everyone knows she was useless. These roles changed throughout the seasons but they really incorporated a lot of types of people and great situational placement to get the best out of them.

The chemistry between all the characters was great too. Monica and Rachel could be great, the next week Monica could break off with Ross and it'd be funny, clearly defined roles and nobody fully lived up to their stereotypes.

The reason the others you mentioned won't pass the test of time and popularity as Friends is that they don't incorporate as many types of humour. Teenagers aren't going to associate with Everybody loves Raymond or Will and Grace i think due to the lack of characters they can associate with but in Friends they could ramp up the silliness but still have something for the more mature person. I love Raymond but it definitely follows a formula, Raymond does something stupid, doesn't want his wife to find out, she finds out, gets angry, Robert comes over and gets on his high horse, the mother insults Debra, the Dad is angry at being compared to Ray etc. Friends always felt fresh to me season through season and that's because there were so many facets to the characters and great things called upon to tell a story that keeps you invested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

What Friends were you watching that Monica was with Ross, her brother?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Their first kiss ;)

I said break off, not sure how you got break up from that?

• Advertisement

Revenge? Really? FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Revenge? Is that the psyco one that wants to average her father's death??

Saq the first episode years ago though it was pants

Their first kiss ;)

You were my first kiss ever!?

Friends was great. Solid scripts, very good performances throughout, too many good quotes. My personal favorite is when Chanandler gets stuck in an ATM atrium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Sorry OP, given the result's of your "lecturer doing a survey" Im leaning towards you telling a few porkies here.

I dont think what you said happened really took place at all. Except maybe in your head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Friends was good for the first four seasons. It fell apart when they split up Chandler and Joey and had Ross have a mental breakdown and become a completely different character, Monica just became a shrill psycho. The whole Joey-Rachel thing was AWFUL, possibly the worst sitcom storyline ever. First four season though, solid. But I never understood the "classic" status.

Revenge!?

EDIT; to answer the question in thread title, yes. I know plenty of people who often quote and reference Friends. Having said that the people I know who love it to that level probably wouldn't have seen many alternatives and I wonder were they Friends fans when it originally aired or is it purely due to the constant reruns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Friends was good for the first four seasons. It fell apart when they split up Chandler and Joey and had Ross have a mental breakdown and become a completely different character, Monica just became a shrill psycho. The whole Joey-Rachel thing was AWFUL, possibly the worst sitcom storyline ever. First four season though, solid. But I never understood the "classic" status.

Revenge!?

EDIT; to answer the question in thread title, yes. I know plenty of people who often quote and reference Friends. Having said that the people I know who love it to that level probably wouldn't have seen many alternatives and I wonder were they Friends fans when it originally aired or is it purely due to the constant reruns.
    Ross came into his own from his breakdown on, he was no longer saddled by Rachel and this allowed him to easily become the bes thing in the latter series, took Chandlers place as he went sap once he was with Monica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The ensemble cast in friends could all play off each other and have distinct story lines . All together. The boys vs the girls. Joey and Chandler. Monica and Rachel. Ross and Rachel. Chandler and Monica at the end. Phoebe tended to not have story lines.

That's generally they way they grouped them for stories and of course any individual could have a story like Rachel at work. It also had 3 story lines per episode. Much better comedy technically that people give it credit for. Compare that to fraise where basically the humourius pairings are Fraser and some one else. He's always there and there is one storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Revenge!?

I agree with this, also the best sitcoms don't turn into a drama/sitcom mix. The best American sitcom of all time is Seinfeld and the best British comedy ever is Father Ted (Only Fools went downhill after Raquel appeared and later on became unwatchable). Friends actually turned into a dramedy with celebrity appearances and was just unfunny after 4 seasons. The UK wedding episodes were terrible with the extremely annoying Emily, and whenever I hear someone mention Friends the first thing that pops into my head is WE WERE ON A BREAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

zeebre12 wrote: »
    On the topic of Friends 20th anniversary..I was in a college lecture the other day and the lecturer did a random survey just for a graph..and the asked the boys what is their favorite TV show and Revenge came up on top. Then they asked all the girls what is their favorite TV show and Friends was the most popular. Is Friends still that popular?, I know its on Comedy Central 20 times a day but I had no idea that so many people still watch it..I was kind of taken back and didn't know it was watched this much 10 YEARS after it ended..

Really?

Friends is just one of those lightning in a bottle, right place at the right time type situations. It's a great show(until Chandler and Monica get together) don't get me wrong, but it wouldn't be the cultural phenomenon it is, were it to come out today or any time in the last eight or so years, the explosion of the internet. People have way more mindless sh!t to distract themselves with and obsess over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Don't know why I wrote Revenge.?.had it in my head while I was writing..meant to say Breaking Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Don't know why I wrote Revenge.?.had it in my head while I was writing..meant to say Breaking Bad
    a30012ea373c7cf43a3fe4af73e4628d.jpeg
    Friends is a show for women really.
    I've never read something so stupid in my life.

I quote friends probably once or twice a day on average and I watch most sitcoms that are on T.V at the moment. I have my favourites but nothing has ever knocked Friends off its perch in my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't like Friends enough to watch loads of it in in one sitting, but when it's on I can see what the fuss was about. It has aged pretty well, I think.

A bit of trivia: the idea to give Phoebe an evil twin sister came about because Lisa Kudrow was already playing an absent-minded New York waitress named Ursula in Mad About You, Cue the inevitable crossover ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

"The One with the crazy question thread"

I love revenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think Friends suffered from what most American series suffer from.... When the show becomes successful, they absolutely flog it to death... The make series after series, way beyond the time when they have exhausted any storylines that might be funny. And this tarnishes the reputation of what was a good show... Frasier had 11 series.. The show was good up to about Series 6..The Niles/Daphne dynamic was lost when they got married, and their lovey-dovey storylines were nauseating.The Simpsons is probably the worst example. It should have been killed off years ago, but the show is basically a moneyprinting machine for the production network..

Friends should have called a halt around series 5 or so... It's sort of like a brilliant footballer who doesnt know when to retire and becomes more remembered for his poorer later performances....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think Friends suffered from what most American series suffer from.... When the show becomes successful, they absolutely flog it to death... The make series after series, way beyond the time when they have exhausted any storylines that might be funny. And this t, and arnishes the reputation of what was a good show... Frasier had 11 series.. The were medicore show was good up to about Series 6..The Niles/Daphne dynamic was lost when they got married, and their lovey-dovey storylines were nauseating.The Simpsons is probably the worst example. It should have been killed off years ago, but the show is basically a moneyprinting machine for the production network..

Friends should have called a halt around series 5 or so... It's sort of like a brilliant footballer who doesnt know when to retire and becomes more remembered for his poorer later performances....

Season 7 in Frasier was brilliant.It was the last season before Daphne and Niles got together and before a lot of the writers left.

Seasons 8,9 and 10 were mediocre but season 11 was top class in particular the episode Patrick Stewart guest starred in.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Friends was one of those shows that I hated because of the fanfare...Until I actually watched it. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

YOU. ATE. MY. SANDWICH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

When I was a kid, they were still repeating Bewitched (which I loved) which was made 25 years earlier.

So I would imagine there's another few years of Friends repeats to go!

I think the show was fantastic - and pretty consistent throughout the ten series, whilst it's peak was Season 2 and 3. I hated the Joey/Rachel thing. I would sooo welcome a reunion or a film and I would pay to see it! But Jennifer Aniston doesn't seem to be interested sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I saw Joey on the Graham Norton Show recently and was surprised by how terrible he was as a guest, he also looked old. Just my impression, doubt he's reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Google search
    whats the general opinion on friends

result
    it was good up to season 4

cue 80% of the internet saying it was good up to season 4,

every damn time a friends discussion pop up, it always the same answer, its nearly statistically impossible for the sheer number of people to have the exact same opinion on a show,

also if it goes to sh1t after season 4, then why did everyone continue to watch for another "SIX" seasons,

it is by and far the most successful show ever made, i cant think of another show that could be bigger than it in pop culture or money making capabilities,

don ramo wrote: »
    Google search
    whats the general opinion on friends

result
    it was good up to season 4

cue 80% of the internet saying it was good up to season 4,

every damn time a friends discussion pop up, it always the same answer, its nearly statistically impossible for the sheer number of people to have the exact same opinion on a show,

also if it goes to sh1t after season 4, then why did everyone continue to watch for another "SIX" seasons,

it is by and far the most successful show ever made, i cant think of another show that could be bigger than it in pop culture or money making capabilities,

I agree, it was excellent. I remember the season cliff hanger was always brilliant.

I think people mean that it's peak was up to Season 4 and indeed they are probably right in terms of it's cultural impact. By Season 5 and 6, reality tv was the new kid on the block. People kept watching it, but it just didn't have the same impact it had in the earlier seasons - which is what happens to every programme eventually. The idea that it got terrible after Season 4 is incorrect - it was funny right up til the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I do agree that the seasons were pretty consistent throughout its entire run although the later episodes did suffer from some over sentimentality and some missteps (that Rachel / Joey relationship was beyond ridiculous) but it is heads and shoulders above modern sitcoms.

I remember the episode with Ross's and Emily's wedding in London and the subsequent "I take thee Rachel" :eek: actually made the radio news bulletins. That would never happen for a sitcom today.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

I remember the episode with Ross's and Emily's wedding in London and the subsequent "I take thee Rachel" :eek: actually made the radio news bulletins. That would never happen for a sitcom today.

True, not in this internet world we live in now. People are far less focused on TV for better or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Lee_Torre wrote: »
    True, not in this internet world we live in now. People are far less focused on TV for better or worse.

Yeah, TV has gotten too diluted with all the other entertainment avenues. I remember the 80s when everyone literally watched the same programme at the same time on the same day so it was a communal event! Bobby Ewing reappearing in the shower or who shot JR on Dallas, Charlene and Scott getting married on Neighbours, Den and Angie on Eastenders being some of the memorable TV moments along with miniseries such as Thorn Birds, North and South, Rich Man Poor Man having everyone glued to their TV sets.

I am really surprised that a bunch of young adults would count a show which ended a decade ago when they were pre-teens as their favourite show! Yes, I loved Friends too back in the day and can understand why it still has current appeal (it is the ultimate mainstream sit-com that appeals to so many) but still, we are in the golden era of TV with such brilliantly and unprecedented acclaimed output on cable (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective, Enlightened, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black.....the list goes on) that I'm amazed that something from 10-20 years ago is what the teens count as their favourite show!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Friends was great. Solid scripts, very good performances throughout, too many good quotes. My personal favorite is when Chanandler gets stuck in an ATM atrium.

Chanandler Bong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

endacl wrote: »
    Chanandler Bong?

Miss Chanandler Bong

I don't care how much of a cliche it is to say it but there definitely was a dip in quality after Season 4. Ross has a breakdown and becomes a headwrecker, Monica becomes far too loud and shrill, Joey's stupidity is exaggerated to unbelievable levels, Phoebe becomes very self centred and bitchy....the show worked so well in its early seasons because all six characters were likeable and played off of each other so well. From Season 5 onward the writers seemingly just ran out of things to do with them so they just turned the characters into parodies of themselves and the quality of the show suffered as a result.

Seasons 1-4 (and the first three in particular) will always have some of the greatest sitcom moments ever though. :D
    endacl wrote: »
    Chanandler Bong?

Actually it's Miss Chanandler Bong. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

I never really watched Friends during the 90s maybe the odd episode if it was on. I have since seen them all on repeats. It's what I'd call easy tv... I can switch my brain off while watching it.

I think it's one of those programs that you're not going to sky + for fear of missing but if flicking through the channels it's easily left on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Worst backtrack ever.
    I love revenge
    You would.

I don't care how much of a cliche it is to say it but there definitely was a dip in quality after Season 4. Ross has a breakdown and becomes a headwrecker, Monica becomes far too loud and shrill, Joey's stupidity is exaggerated to unbelievable levels, Phoebe becomes very self centred and bitchy....the show worked so well in its early seasons because all six characters were likeable and played off of each other so well. From Season 5 onward the writers seemingly just ran out of things to do with them so they just turned the characters into parodies of themselves and the quality of the show suffered as a result.

Seasons 1-4 (and the first three in particular) will always have some of the greatest sitcom moments ever though. :D

Actually it's Miss Chanandler Bong. :cool:

They definitely ran out of ideas for Joey's character alright and his dumbness just became not funny - him trying to speak French was ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I saw Joey on the Graham Norton Show recently and was surprised by how terrible he was as a guest, he also looked old. Just my impression, doubt he's reading.

Old person in looking old shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I was in a college lecture...and the asked the boys what is their favorite TV show and Revenge came up on top...

Em....is it an interior design course you're on? Just curious

I've never seen a full episode of Friends, it's one of those shows that I saw bits of and it never grabbed me. When it was airing I never bothered watching as I much preferred Frasier. In the years since anytime Friends comes on I change the channel, I've never laughed at anything I saw of the show whereas I can revisit Frasier or Cheers and laugh every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd be pretty sure he isn't reading your comments about him on boards.ie alright,

It is weird how people grow old and then subsequently look old, isn't it? I mean - these Hollywood types are supposed to stay forever young aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

don ramo wrote: »

Seinfeld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Look at the amount of guest stars, the show was very popular as already said in the thread the chemistry among the cast just worked marvellously

I watch the odd episode if on repeated and still laugh

I've never seen a full episode of Friends, it's one of those shows that I saw bits of and it never grabbed me. When it was airing I never bothered watching as I much preferred Frasier. In the years since anytime Friends comes on I change the channel, I've never laughed at anything I saw of the show whereas I can revisit Frasier or Cheers and laugh every time.

I think it's definitely a show that rewards following a season arc. There are stand alone episodes that are fantastic but some of the running jokes while not laugh out loud funny help endear the characters.

As for the drop after season 4, not something I overly noticed, though without Chandler and Joey being the mid-late 20s odd couple it lost an element that took a season or 2 to adapt from. I think it ended a lot stronger than pretty much every long running sitcom I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

I really like it and it is one of the only shows I actually enjoy and watch regularly without getting annoyed at something or other. It is classic, timeless, is not trashy, there is no overtly sexual content which I find very tiring and insulting to my intelligence. There is effort put into the jokes, it is well made and funny. The episode plots are generally quite lolarious and there's a nice cast.
    The walking dead, etc, ugh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement