Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Bill

• 08-09-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi people

i'm with UPC about 11 years now and the odd time i get a bill thats bigger than i expect, i pay around €100-€120 a month and with this i get 30 meg Broadband a house phone and Digital TV with about 60 channels including all sky sports channels, also have 2 other boxes in the house, anyways i checked my bill This morning and i see it's €247, so i got in contact with UPC and they say i have not been charged for Sky Sports for around 2 years i think they said, so i'm like well what has the €110 a month been then? They say it's an error on there part, my bill was around €150 about a year ago so phones up and got a few channels removed (music channels etc and also got a lower boradband speed) which knoocked around €30 off it so i was contempt with paying €110 a month still quite expensive never for one minute did i feel i was underpaying, and thats what they are telling me, ive been underpaying. i feel hard done by. so bascially by bill will go back to around €140 per month, does this seem right has anybody else got a UPC around this a month? People are telling me not to pay just move to sky as its very unfair, they didnt even give me a call and apoligise and give me the option of a plan to pay it off i'm on a scheme earning **** all if i was a working man this wouldn't be as much as an issue, do i just pay or whats the views about this.

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That's very bad form. If it was their fault, they should write it off. Then they should let you know the new price going forward and give you the option to accept.

30Mb broadband is also very low. You should be getting 200mb if it's available in your area. €140 per month is a crazy amount to be paying.

UPC have a forum here, you should post there instead of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

You'd actually save so much money cancelling the contract and then signing up again the next day. That's what I've being doing the last three years. When the one year contract is up I choose not to renew it. Sign up to the best deal a day later. Always get the first 6 months half price

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

SkySports is €37 extra per month. It used to be €34, so two years @ €34 is €816 so they obviosly are only backdating the charges for about four months & not the whole whack.

However they should have contacted you to inform you of their error & discuss how you wanted to proceed. I would refuse to pay for their mistake & contact customer loyalty with the view to sorting out a better deal or else cancelling the service & crediting the extra charges back to your UPC account.

If the direct debit hasn't yet hit your bank account you could cancel it in your bank. If it has you could still dispute it & instruct your bank to refund the amount to your account & inform them that you are in dispute with UPC & will pay any amount owed to them by cash until such a time it has been sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Ken Masters

I don't have direct debit I pay by credit card, not one person I've spoke to has said to me just pay, the fact I thought the €110 a month was the cost of everything for them to say " well we are not going to charge you the whole amount " is actually very cheeky, these smart arses made a huge mistake by telling me the €110 a month included the sky Sports package, it's on record as it says " All phone calls are recorded" so when they listen back they can ring me to apologise, I've been a loyal customer to these for 11 Years, never missed a payment and always on time, to treat me like this is very unjust, not even a phonecall to explain their error, I can't get cut off now, to many big matches coming up and the Ryder Cup, can't be missing those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

wow

after 11 years you are well out of contract.

ring and cancel!!

in fact dont bother ringing, email them and wait 30 days for service to be terminated

resolutionteam@upc.ie

kooga wrote: »
    wow

after 11 years you are well out of contract.

ring and cancel!!

in fact dont bother ringing, email them and wait 30 days for service to be terminated

resolutionteam@upc.ie
    OP states that he changed package about a year ago, which more than likely would have entered him into a new 12 month contract at the time. My guess is that they are trying to charge himm only for the months since that contract expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

OP states that he changed package about a year ago, which more than likely would have entered him into a new 12 month contract at the time. My guess is that they are trying to charge himm only for the months since that contract expired.

if about a year ago should be out of contract................unless he got into the new 18 month contract which seem to be flavour of the month now with telecom providers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Ken Masters

Hi folks the latest update is they have lodged a complaint to the complaints department which i'm sure is within their buildings and they will call me , The issue i have with this whole scenario is they think i've been getting Sky Sports for free, they think i knew i wasn't paying for it, which is clearly not the case and i explained to one of the UPC team Yesterday, she keeps saying , We'll unfortunatly we have made an error, so i said "Hold it" you made an error? and you are expecting me to just accept this and pay for it, i did not know i was'nt paying for Sky Sports, and this goes back to the phone call i made to them over a year ago asking could i remove some channels that i dont watch and also lower my broadband speed, it's all on record, i clearly stated all i want is the sports channels as really it's all i watch, there's something coming back to me about a deal they were doing at the time, something like Sky Sports be only say €2 a month for the first six months or something like that but i'm not 100% sure, if this is the case, then this is completely their fault, they should have called me when the 6 months was up so i can look at my options because they clearly knew i couldnt pay €140-€150 per month, Every person i talk to is telling me to either get them cut off, they're saying if i pay them ide be giving in,Still cant get over how they're treating me though considering it was their mistake, if they said look we have made an error on your account, we can sort out a payment plan of say €10 a month...then this may not be such a big deal but i'm stuck with the threat of been cut off because i wont be paying this because it was their mistake not mine.

• Advertisement

Hi folks the latest update is they have lodged a complaint to the complaints department which i'm sure is within their buildings and they will call me , The issue i have with this whole scenario is they think i've been getting Sky Sports for free, they think i knew i wasn't paying for it, which is clearly not the case and i explained to one of the UPC team Yesterday, she keeps saying , We'll unfortunatly we have made an error, so i said "Hold it" you made an error? and you are expecting me to just accept this and pay for it, i did not know i was'nt paying for Sky Sports, and this goes back to the phone call i made to them over a year ago asking could i remove some channels that i dont watch and also lower my broadband speed, it's all on record, i clearly stated all i want is the sports channels as really it's all i watch, there's something coming back to me about a deal they were doing at the time, something like Sky Sports be only say €2 a month for the first six months or something like that but i'm not 100% sure, if this is the case, then this is completely their fault, they should have called me when the 6 months was up so i can look at my options because they clearly knew i couldnt pay €140-€150 per month, Every person i talk to is telling me to either get them cut off, they're saying if i pay them ide be giving in,Still cant get over how they're treating me though considering it was their mistake, if they said look we have made an error on your account, we can sort out a payment plan of say €10 a month...then this may not be such a big deal but i'm stuck with the threat of been cut off because i wont be paying this because it was their mistake not mine.
    They shouldn't disconnect you during a documented dispute (they should have notes up on your account detailing the issue & that it's gone to the complaints dept).

My advice is to look at your bill & deduct the backdated charges from the total amount & just pay that amount on time, & continue to do this until the matter is resolved & the charges are recredited to your account. Hopefully someone with the authority to cancel the extra charges will contact you & you can negotiate a new agreement that includes SkySports in line with new customer prices.

See what happens - you might never receive a call. I had an issue in the past where I had been undercharged due to a UPC error. I had been given double the amount of discounts that I should have & came to light when I was enquiring about another product & was told I would be contacted as my bill would have to be increased. I never was, & tried on three other occasions to sort it out - each time I was informed someone would call me back.

My bill never did increase so when I went to renew my discounts I was told that seeing as it was UPC's error that they would swallow the undercharged amount. Not the exact situation as you, as I was never billed for backdated chatges, but the result was I didn't have to pay for their mistake & neither should you.

Advertisement