Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Job Hunt

Options
  • 07-07-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Howye,

I've just finished my leaving and I'm 18 and on the lookout for any jobs that are available.
    But I have a problem. Experience.

I started secondary school in 2008 just as the recession was starting up so obviously when I turned 16 (the legal age to work in ireland) jobs were scarce and businesses willing to employ part-time underage were even more scarce. Fast-forward two years and I have no experience except for a bit of babysitting and some TY work experience...

Does anyone have any idea how I can make myself (and my CV) more appealing to potential employers?
    I'm hopefully going to be starting college in September but I'll take full-, part- or flexi-time now! Anything I can get. Beggars can't be choosers after all

Any advice is greatly appreciated :) Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Volunteering is probably a good idea if you've no experience. But unless you know somebody who can help you out you'll find it very hard to get anything without references.

Apply for Races. Most of the positions there require no experience. It's not too far away either. Check all the sites and classifieds.

Best of luck anyways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Try also to get in contact with your ty work experience places and see if they have anything - or know of someone in related industry?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Arts Festival usually take volunteers who are enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Try also to get in contact with your ty work experience places and see if they have anything - or know of someone in related industry?.

I've applied for Debenhams, which was one of my previous work experience places. However the other two were a local primary school and the other was a student-run radio station in NUIG so no joy there :( Also no responses from Debenhams...

But I'll keep trying! Just hoping my CV doesn't scare people off, I've been told I interview well so hopefully that'll stand to me, providing I actually get some interviews

Advertisement