Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking UPC multi-room box locations

Options
  • 29-01-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically speaking... if some unscrupulous deviant uses someone else's multi-room box at a different address how exactly can UPC tell where that box is?

Let's say hypothetically its a really really old box, no wifi/broadband capabilities...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They can see by the code that is generated by the box the area its in when on a cabled system. Also the second location would have to have an active subscription to view it there.

I did an install many yrs ago in tipp town and the second box was moved to a secondry house after I left and they were caught, and this was an MMDS box so not too sure how they got caught as both were from the same location but they did...

Be aware that this would be classed as piracy as you need to pay a full sub at all locations.

Also all UPC's and skys customers addresses I think are now shared to the post office in regard to collection of tv licenses....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

steveon wrote: »
    They can see by the code that is generated by the box the area its in when on a cabled system. Also the second location would have to have an active subscription to view it there.

I did an install many yrs ago in tipp town and the second box was moved to a secondry house after I left and they were caught, and this was an MMDS box so not too sure how they got caught as both were from the same location but they did...

Be aware that this would be classed as piracy as you need to pay a full sub at all locations.

Also all UPC's and skys customers addresses I think are now shared to the post office in regard to collection of tv licenses....

Can you be more technically specific about the bolded parts above?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Please not that doing so is theft of service and can get you jail time here in Ireland! It is also against the rules of this forum to discuss such things.

I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement