Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC - Horizon Phone App

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Venom wrote: »
    No, I mean if I try and make a call from within the app, go to it's contacts screen and select the person I want to ring, it goes to the normal call screen for about 2 seconds then closes.
    Oh sorry. Have you tried a reset from the settings screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Same thing happens me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Oh sorry. Have you tried a reset from the settings screen?

I tried reset's and un-installing and re-installing the app and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

report the bugs via google play store, and upc will get the feedback
    ffs i sound like one of them upc customer reps here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

any windows phone plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I only came across this a few days ago, it's pretty cool app if only it would work over 3G. Having said that, I can't make calls over 3G but I did receive one (and answered it) earlier today:confused: I'm just trying to figure out how to access voicemail now as the message button is flashing on the house handset but if I ring my number to access VM as standard it just rings through to the app. I haven't noticed any battery drain either by the way.

Edit - VM = 171, I've always dialled my house number for this previously...anyway, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

it works very well I have to say. Quick question how does the minutes work like how do you know what you have and what you used.

wush06 wrote: »
    it works very well I have to say. Quick question how does the minutes work like how do you know what you have and what you used.
    its a home phone line, so unless it tells you on the https://service.upc.ie/my-upc/portal/ website
    but if not i think you get 400 mins anyway
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/116/~/exceed-400-call-bundle-minutes

wush06 wrote: »
    Any calls you make using the app come out of your particular phone bundle. If you're on one of the packs that has a limited amount of minutes (Anywhere 150 or 300) there are two ways to find out your used minutes. The first is by ring 1908 & ask. The other is by logging into MyUPC, then My Bills & Payments, then My Unbilled Usage (all calls show up there regardless of whether or not you'll end up being charged for them) - you can then calculate the amount of minutes used. Just be aware that it you make a call for 1minute two seconds that this will use 2 minutes of your allowance.

They are meant to be providing the facility on MyUPC so as you can check remaining minutes. They might even have done so at this stage, you'd need to explore MyUPC as I don't have a minute based bundle.

The 400 minutes mentioned above is a separate allowance in addition to your regular allowance - 400 minutes to international landlines (not including Ireland) in 21 countries.

yes sorry my bad, i was referring to my bundle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Was killing my battery life so had to delete it. Seems to be no way of quitting the app.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Was killing my battery life so had to delete it. Seems to be no way of quitting the app.
    ah there is on android, press the options its 3 parallel lines on the right top, then press close, then switch off.
    but doing this means you cant receive calls, but because its automatic sign in you dont have to enter your name and password everytime
    this option suits me best

On iOS you just tap settings at the bottom of the screen & toggle horizon phone mode to off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

This worked great on my xperia sp and a tablet, when we switched over our number from eircom and replaced the temp upc number with our regular no it stopped. Did everything, reinstalled it. Made sure the number is correct and devices are recognised in myupc, got fobbed of by upc saying it wasnt available. Dont know why because the tv app is fine. Sound familiar to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 edel12345

OT but can someone please tell me how to post a thread.. VERY new to this and havent a clue :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

edel12345 wrote: »
    OT but can someone please tell me how to post a thread.. VERY new to this and havent a clue :(

Go to the forum you want to post and press the new thread button near the top of the screen

App worked fine for a while but over the past two days when I open the app it is always displaying 'Horizon phone is enabled but currently offline'. (might post this in the UPC forum as well)

The app is connected to my UPC wifi network and I am not experiencing difficulty connecting to other devices. I also attempted a reset of the app through My UPC account and still no change.

Any one else with similar issues?

Nevermind, issue seems to be resolved now

• Registered Users Posts: 13 like

Just to be sure, using it is free to call land lines (once you are within your plan, or 400 minutes to international landlines), BUT.... its landlines only ???, you must be careful to only use it for landlines and to check which is cheaper for mobile calls - this app or usual mobile plan....

think that's correct - but I was confused and thought mobile numbers were included ....

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

Just found out about this app today. I think it's a great idea from UPC.
    Does anyone know if there is a setup to stop receiving calls? I just want to make calls to landlines but don't want to receive any calls because there will be someone at home always.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

konline wrote: »
    Just found out about this app today. I think it's a great idea from UPC.
    Does anyone know if there is a setup to stop receiving calls? I just want to make calls to landlines but don't want to receive any calls because there will be someone at home always.
    Thanks.
    You can turn Horizon Phone off or log out in the settings area of the app & turn it back on/log back in when you want to make a call but there's no exact setting for what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

or just don't answer on the mobile app, the home phone rings regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Anyone have problems with sound on their app??
    We have app on 2 iPhones here and we can here who we're calling but can't be heard at the other end.
    Yet to try a regular handset.. Strange it's happening tho on 2 iPhones
    Marty

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Anyone have problems with sound on their app??
    We have app on 2 iPhones here and we can here who we're calling but can't be heard at the other end.
    Yet to try a regular handset.. Strange it's happening tho on 2 iPhones
    Marty
    Yes I had this problem when I first started using the app. It turned out to be a simple matter of increasing the volume while actually in a call, as for some reason the app didn't 'pick up' the in-call volume settings already set, & the volume was at minimum by default.

Hey thanks a mill...ill give that a go...was onto UPC the other day about it and they were at a loss.
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

MAJJ wrote: »
    Installed it on an S2 and it connects to wifi, picks up local UPC phone number all fine but haven't used it yet for calls.

Works fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Looking for advice, problem with the Horizon Phone app on OH's iPhone4. App had been working fine, now when you try to make a call using the app, one of the following messages pops up:

No Internet
    "No working internet connection can be detected. You need to have internet connection to place or receive a call. If wi-fi is enabled, try another wi-fi network or connect via 3G".

or:

SIP Account settings error
    Check SIP configuration.

The wi-fi is working, and the app is working fine on my Sony Experia phone. I have deleted and re-installed the app and it has made no difference. We have done nothing with any phone settings either.

Any advice appreciated,
    John.

Getting that aswell last few days... Still have the problem where the sound can't be heard, so have been using the iPad.. But now gave sane prob as posted above.
    Does a regular phone plug into the back of the modem???.. Think I'll he going they route.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

Does a regular phone plug into the back of the modem???..

Yes. There are two phone connections. ONLY use phone connection 1. Phone connection 2 does nothing unless you are a business and want two phone numbers. Best to use a cordless phone with at least 2 handsets, that way you can leave the main handset plugged it at the modem and the second handset can go anwhere else in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Getting that aswell last few days... Still have the problem where the sound can't be heard, so have been using the iPad.. But now gave sane prob as posted above.
    Does a regular phone plug into the back of the modem???.. Think I'll he going they route.
    Marty.

I had this problem, turns out the app didn't have access to the microphone.

Settings, Privacy, Microphone - Make sure its turned on for the - Phone - app.

Advertisement