Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight adjustment problem toyota corolla

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all, im having a problem with a 00 toyota corolla 1.4vvti saloon i have just acquired.

The little roller in the center console that raises and lowers the headlights does not seem to be working ( i don't know the actual term, if any for the thing, it has numbers on it 1-5) but i find that when driving at night the lights aren't high enough and it impairs my view ahead somewhat so it must be stuck on the lowest setting

Any ideas how i could go about fixing it myself?? Is it a fuse possibly?

Actually when i asked the dealer the day i got it he said something about a wire being disconnected for the nct, because they could fail it because of lights being too high or something. I thought that was horsehit at the time, i assumed it was just broken or something.
    Could he have been telling the truth? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hi all, im having a problem with a 00 toyota corolla 1.4vvti saloon i have just acquired.

The little roller in the center console that raises and lowers the headlights does not seem to be working ( i don't know the actual term, if any for the thing, it has numbers on it 1-5) but i find that when driving at night the lights aren't high enough and it impairs my view ahead somewhat so it must be stuck on the lowest setting

Any ideas how i could go about fixing it myself?? Is it a fuse possibly?

Actually when i asked the dealer the day i got it he said something about a wire being disconnected for the nct, because they could fail it because of lights being too high or something. I thought that was horsehit at the time, i assumed it was just broken or something.
    Could he have been telling the truth? :eek:
    Check that the connections behind the headlights are all in place.

The dealer could of disconnected the adjusters from the headlights due to one not working, because if one of the adjusters isn't working and one is then using the roller/switch in the center console will just put the lights out of line as only the light with the working adjuster will be moving.

The dealer probably adjusted/aligned them manually from the back of the headlights and then disconnected the adjusters in fear someone would be messing with the switch and put the lights out of line again.

This however is just hunch but if true disconnecting the adjusters is at best a botch job IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

Thanks for the response ill have a look and see if anything is disconnected, i am a total noob in this regard, so i may be back with further questions, if i could adjust them manually myself i dont mind if the adjuster doesnt work, i only need them raised a bit for night driving and ill be happy then.
    Im assuming the electrical connections are simple male/female sockets that just clip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

As been mentioned above - more than likely one of the adjusting motors died (had that twice myself already).

So it is possible someone just unplugged them if faulty.

Motors are located at the back of the headlamp housings, between bulbs - take a look if they're connected, and yes, it's simple clip in/clip out solution.

Connect them (if not connected), put someone on driver's seat, turn dipped beam lights on and ask to turn adjuster knob up and down - go to the front of the car - if motor is O.K. - you'll hear it running.

You can get a replacement in breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

Hi all, i just checked the lights and it seems they are not connected, i connected them and they are both working!!
    Seems like the dealer was telling the truth!!

Thanks again all for the help, was a lot easier than i expected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Glad to hear it's sorted. :)

It'd be a good idea to go to garage anyway and check your headlights if they're aligned properly.

Peace of mind for just a couple of euros. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement