Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Micra - rear wobble

Options
  • 02-04-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I noticed the GFs K11 has a rear wobble when I drove it the other day.
    "Oh it's been like that for a while" :big rolleyes:
    It's only at slow speed like coasting up to a red light or driving in gridlock. Nothing at faster speeds.

So I got it up on stands and checked the tyres for bulges or similar but I didn't really expect to find anything, which I didn't.
    However the drop link left rear is shot.

I will order a set and do both sides, they're only 20 a piece so might as well do both. The right rear link looked ok but I'm sure it's been taking a fair beating in that the other is ****ed.

Haven't done this particular job before (rear links Micra). Anything I should think of? Doing one at the time, do I really need to support the swapbar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Did you check just the tyre sidewalls?

A wobble like that at slow speeds is often due to the tyre threads deforming.

Rear drop links certainly wouldn't cause a wheel wobble, especially considering that none of the Japanese market micra's even have anti roll bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I checked the sidewalls and also threads (spun tyres) but nothing I could see. The tyres are worn but still some thread left.
    Maybe it is the wheels after all. I'll do the drop links anyhow and check tyres again during the process.

I noticed one of the rear wheels wouldn't spin as freely as the other, felt like it was sticking a bit. I'll take the drum cover off and have a look there as well.
    If I remember the camera this time I'll grab a few snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorted the droplinks, no difference.

Eventually got some other tyres and put them on which fixed the issue.
    Oddly nothing was visually wrong with the old tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My parents were driving around with a severe wobbly in a passat rear wheel for ages too and paying no attention to it. Anyway, it was tyre issue and wasnt visible at all until I set an object next to it and spun the wheel. You could then see a small movement but it created a hell of a wobble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Maybe throw the spare on either side and see which is causing the problem and/or if it's a trye/wheel problem or something more sinister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement