Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stretchy cv boots

Options
  • 29-12-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

who in ireland stocks these?

split cv boots would be another option? where could i get these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I wouldn't bother my bol**x to be honest. If your gona do a Cv boot do it right and split the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Wurth do them, pretty good job. Any motor factor should do them, you'll need the cone or hydraulic tool to spread them - cone is better if you don't have an air supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Wurth do them, pretty good job. Any motor factor should do them, you'll need the cone or hydraulic tool to spread them - cone is better if you don't have an air supply.

In my experience the Wurth ones were a poor quality boot and would generally need replacing again within two years.
    Bailcast and First Line I've found to be stronger and more durable. Any decent motor factors should have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I wouldn't bother with a stretchy one... Your not saving much effort over splitting the joint.

The split boots I've used from motor factors have served me well.
    Tip: cling film the drive shaft during gluing to keep grease and glue from mixing.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thanks for the replies.. i have the Nct coming up on my civic in january. I already have it sitting on axle stands to change rear swing arm bushings so want to make life a little easier by doing the cv boot as conveniently as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a stretchy one... Your not saving much effort over splitting the joint.

The split boots I've used from motor factors have served me well.
    Tip: cling film the drive shaft during gluing to keep grease and glue from mixing.
    Marty.

It saves a sh*tload of effort - it can be done in situ and you don't have to go refilling any gear oil that's lost.

What do you glue when putting them back together?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're looking at split boots you can get screw-together ones that are better, imo, than glue boots.

a929b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Dragging this one up again:
    I just tried to change the outer boot on 01 Accent. The 'ex mate' who had the cone didn't turn up, so i managed to use a bit off a plastic bottle.
    I think i have damaged my thumbs trying to push the stretchy boot over the joint, is it normally this hard? - however it split just as it got to the widest bit.
    I put some sticky tape on it for another day, but:- the wide end is just too big to clamp properly to the joint. it wrinkles and folds, there's about 1 inch of spare rubber left.

1 - am i wasting my time
    2 - it it possible to get a better fitting boot, if so any ideas.?
    3 - is it possible to separate the shaft from the joint, so there's no chance of tearing it again?
    (i dont want to use split boots)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You're meant to trim the excess off. ...but as others have said, it is just as easy to split the joint and fit the correct boot.

I binned the cone, waste of time and energy.

How do i split the joint ?

• Advertisement

Not sure about yours, but with mine it was prise the dust cover off, remove the circlip and tap the shaft out.

Thanks for that, HMA website is so slow, but does not show the Outer joint as separating.
    Inner joint ok, but i don't want to pull the shaft out of the gearbox. Apparently the seals are easily damaged.

So the question is still there. how do i split the joint ?

Advertisement