Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Car Struggling to start

Options
  • 15-04-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey everyone, im new to this so hope im posting in the right forum.

So basically here it is,i have a 2001 Vw Passat, a couple of weeks ago my car started to turn over a lot before starting and then one day it failed to start so i brought it to my mechanic and he changed the seals in engine because it was letting back diesel apparently.Ran fine since the change.

So 3 weeks later it started to turn over again and again before starting, returned it to my mechanic and he changed heater plugs, but again its slowly doing the same thing.

Its costing 300euro so far but of no avail, has anyone had similar prolems or any solution to what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Biffo1991 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, im new to this so hope im posting in the right forum.

So basically here it is,i have a 2001 Vw Passat, a couple of weeks ago my car started to turn over a lot before starting and then one day it failed to start so i brought it to my mechanic and he changed the seals in engine because it was letting back diesel apparently.Ran fine since the change.

So 3 weeks later it started to turn over again and again before starting, returned it to my mechanic and he changed heater plugs, but again its slowly doing the same thing.

Its costing 300euro so far but of no avail, has anyone had similar prolems or any solution to what might be wrong?

Happened to My Octavia TDi a while back...

Mechanic said it probably was the cut-off solenoid on the fuel pump.

Strangely enough though,,never got it fixed,and the problem seems to have went away for now.

But,,could also be a clogged up EGR.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Biffo1991

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Happened to My Octavia TDi a while back...

Mechanic said it probably was the cut-off solenoid on the fuel pump.

Strangely enough though,,never got it fixed,and the problem seems to have went away for now.

But,,could also be a clogged up EGR.

Yeah i get what ya mean, would a dirty fuel pump be the cause i wonder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Have you a lift pump?

i genuinely dont have a clue to be honest.. wish i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seems you do.

See here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

probably a lazy starter motor.

If the starter motor does not turn at full speed, the pressure will not build up in the system and the car will struggle to start. Second hand starters are about e70 and take about 1-2 hours to fit.

hey guys thanks for your replies,

so dropped the car back to the mechanic because the problem re-occurred, seemingly he said the car is loosing power aswell as he drove it this evening...

All money money money... hope its not too bad the problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

The VW 2001 Passat Tdi has a mechanical fuel pump...You will only ever have an issue with one of these if there is a a partial blockage in your fuel line..The diesel also lubricates the fuel pump..

Hard starting issues on a vw tdi...Number one culprit is usually a plugged fuel filter. Always replace the fuel filter first..

Also make absolutely sure that both 10mm bolts are tightened properly on the positive battery terminal ..Also check both battery terminals are clean and free of corrosion...

Sometimes the fuel pick-up can become clogged with debris...this will require the rear seat to be removed and the fuel tank to be drained...before you can remove and replace the fuel pick-up module....It's a big job if you aren't very experianced with car mechanics, and best to leave it the professionals otherwise..

Advertisement