Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BattleBots! (US Robot Wars)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Thargor wrote: »
    Blatant case of giving the win to a team just because they're female with pink hair and nerd glasses there in that latest episode, the Mega Tento big red plastic insect was basically shoved around the ring for the entire match repeatedly slammed into walls, the only time Stinger wasnt in complete control of the fight was when it flipped itself maybe 3 times then self righted, for the other 90% of the fight it was slamming Mega Tento around the arena with zero resistance, joke of a result.

well they say it lost on damaged sustained but it lost the wheel on the arena hazards not from megatento, megatento did better then I expected, you could argue the stinger should have won on agression but it did little damage to magetento

oh it was on the night before last

hypershocks drum shattered https://www.twitch.tv/battlebots/v/82000276

aftershows are interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgRXL0i1j1Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

oh it was on last night

hypershocks drum shattered https://www.twitch.tv/battlebots/v/82000276

aftershows are interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgRXL0i1j1Q
    Was it? Lovely stuff I thought someone said 2 week delay because of the opening ceremony?

EDIT: Yep, just got episode 6, thanks for the tip.

Okay episode, the decapitation was fairly spectacular.

Okay episode, the decapitation was fairly spectacular.

in that episode we've had two spinner vs spinner duels, didn't end well for one of each.

actually there was horizontal spinner in each of the 4 matches,
    razerback was awful silly not have something that prevented them getting stuck on their side.

in that episode we've had two spinner vs spinner duels, didn't end well for one of each.

actually there was horizontal spinner in each of the 4 matches,
    razerback was awful silly not have something that prevented them getting stuck on their side.
    Yeah that was ridiculous, literally a couple of spikes sticking out would have prevented it.

apparently there are 2 broncos, i guess one with the rear wedge and one without! https://soundcloud.com/insidethebot/6th-august-2016-battlebots-series-2-episode-7-goodbye-special-chums-ft-jerome-miles at 45mins
    I was a where the some teams had virtually entire doubles spare but 2 have two entire seperate robots, they suggest it will be banned in the future like F1

more https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/4w5t2m/inertia_labs_had_2_broncos_in_the_pits/

Meh, as long as they only fight with one in the arena really whats the difference between a heap of spare parts and one thats been assembled into a bot? What I find more ridiculous is the teams with a drone, its basically a second robot sitting there at the start beside the main one, if a team came up with one that could actually fight instead of being completely useless like the current ones it would be two against one, they let them have a separate pilot and controller and everything.

Meh, as long as they only fight with one in the arena really whats the difference between a heap of spare parts and one thats been assembled into a bot? What I find more ridiculous is the teams with a drone, its basically a second robot sitting there at the start beside the main one, if a team came up with one that could actually fight instead of being completely useless like the current ones it would be two against one, they let them have a separate pilot and controller and everything.

other people have to repair their's each time, they can just swap between the 2, all the teams basically say drones are a method of distraction.

• Advertisement

FFS nothing this week either, I hate the way US networks do this...

Starting to sound like a junkie now but where the hell is episode 7?

What a final! Every fight was gold practically. Pity the final itself wasnt
    Tombstone
    vs
    Minotaur
    though.

That was one of the best 90 minutes of television this year tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is this on Tv or are ye watching it on online?

Just watched a short video on youtube looks really good proper fights with tough robots and no gimics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDOqi2Pkp0

Remember being a fan of original robotwars uk series years ago vaguely!
    I caught the UK robotwars a couple of weeks ago was not impressed did not watch again.
    Compared to USA version its not as good
    Arena background/main lighting is too low but at the some time it is lit by bright flashing lights making hard to see whats happening.
    very gimmicky and disorientating.
    Too many external obstacles distractions to fight (big pits, big robots in corner) just let em at.
    robots breaking down all the time. very short fights.
    small arena

how bombshell not have the height right again?

You can see the damage they did and how close they were in this shot from after the fight:

CxM6fM1.jpg

• Advertisement

You can see the damage they did and how close they were in this shot from after the fight:

CxM6fM1.jpg

you can?

About 2 hinges below the chain theres a bite gone out of the chrome on the spinner...

About 2 hinges below the chain theres a bite gone out of the chrome on the spinner...

oh that was so far off I didn't see it

Inches not hinges there in my post sorry, can't edit on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI Season 3 started last night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Mr E wrote: »

Nope, just rerunning the first season.

Sorry guys.... myepisodes.com and epguides.com both show the July 12th as the start of season 3.

http://epguides.com/BattleBots/
    http://www.myepisodes.com/show/id-17300/

Shame... I was looking forward to it.

No sign on the ABC website, so that's not a good sign.

You cocktease Mr E!

Yeah where is it? Ratings were good, the teams are already there, the whole scene is exploding even without tv sponsorship, all they have to do is film it.

For realsies this time. Started on Wednesday night. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

For realsies this time. Started on Wednesday night. :)

what chanel

GOD DAMMIT... after checking it out, it looks like it's Season 1 Episode 1.

I give up.

GOD DAMMIT... after checking it out, it looks like it's Season 1 Episode 1.

I give up.
    You do realise the new season is going to be major news across all the tech and gaming blogs and Reddit and everything? :pac:

I keep an eye on the Season 3 rumour thread on Reddit, nothing official yet and no sign of them contacting any of the teams so not looking good, then again those teams are competing all across the US all the time so they wouldn't need much notice that filming was starting.

The Science Channel have aquired it apparently and are showing repeats now, not a good thing imo, their budget is a fraction of ABCs, then again a new series of Battlebots would be just the thing to drive their numbers up a bit.

Im downloading them all to watch again in the meantime, I dont even remember who won the previous seasons.

Actually this tweet from Battlebots to the presenter guy Faruq pretty much confirms it'll happen imo:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/918594788626071552

IT'S BACK!

They're filming until April for Spring/Summer 2018 broadcast:

https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/press-releases/2018/let-bot-battles-begin-discovery-channel-green-4220/

Loads more info in this Reddit thread, so far only Tombstone confirmed but apparently everyone they ask on Twitter is applying for a spot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/7vyysc/the_battlebots_2018_info_thread/

Great news, best thing on tv imo.

• Advertisement

So glad this is back, golden age for tv atm, can barely keep up.

Back tonight!

Tomorrow I think, Thargor. This was posted 4 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/994579970813919232

Ooops, thanks for that...

Anybody watch it? Great first ep imo, looks like a good system with a proper league table deciding who makes it through to the elimination rounds.

It was good, but the main fight decider was... questionable. That sort of thing RW would never have let happen.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    It was good, but the main fight decider was... questionable. That sort of thing RW would never have let happen.
    Sorry what are you referring to?

Sorry what are you referring to?

Hard to describe without spoiling it.

The circumstances in which the Tombstone -v- Minotaur fight ended, with how the loser was counted as immobilised, is something that wouldn't have happened in Robot Wars.

Meh, he got stuck, he was well beaten, weapon destroyed and his chassis was badly damaged. But it could have gone either way based on past performances by both.

There are 19 more episodes to go this season!

• Advertisement

Anybody watching? This is an absolutely brilliant series and it hasnt even got to the round of 16 yet, some insane fights. Huge wrecking that forklift bot last night was absolutely hilarious. I love Icewave, hope they do well. I have a feeling its going to be another Tombstone season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Anybody watching? This is an absolutely brilliant series and it hasnt even got to the round of 16 yet, some insane fights. Huge wrecking that forklift bot last night was absolutely hilarious. I love Icewave, hope they do well. I have a feeling its going to be another Tombstone season though.

is there any way for us to watch

is there any way for us to watch

r/battlebots ;)

Still no interest in this? Its seriously one of the best things on tv at the minute.

yes the last couple of episodes have been great, especially because theres been less of the annoying announcer, some surprising wins, it strange to see this got an extended season and BBC axed theres.

there are some of the bots with saws on them as weapons that are just useless

• Advertisement

Kind of annoying though that for the sake of some great eps and some great fights al my fav bots are out of it now so the rest of it wont be as entertaining, cant believe what happened to Icewave.

Still no interest in this? Its seriously one of the best things on tv at the minute.

Yea, I've been watching the crap out of it, but generally my reactions are posted on the subreddit since I don't know of anyone else to geek out with over the results, and kinda forgot this thread existed. :P

Also, after watching the end of the ep early on Friday morning (uploaded to YT literally within 2 hours of it finishing airing live in the US), I couldn't sleep for about an hour after Whiplash winning!

So now we're down to #4 v #9, and #3 v #10... safe to say no-one in their brackets predicted these semis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

yes the last couple of episodes have been great, especially because theres been less of the annoying announcer, some surprising wins, it strange to see this got an extended season and BBC axed theres.

I got bored of the BBC's RobotWars a long time ago and the re-launch of it the other year did nothing to change my mind but a lot of that has always been down to how much I hated the house robots element of the show.

The latest series of Battlebots has for the most part been greatly entertaining apart from some questionable judging results with the last two episodes having some real upsets in them.

Venom wrote: »
    apart from some questionable judging results

Blacksmith, End Game and Duck were robbed.

Duck sucked, if you want to enter a tiny box on wheels dont expect the judges to shower you with praise, it had no ability to inflict damage, it was just an annoying loophole bot relying on other robots burning out or getting stuck on it.

Id like to see a lot more real innovation like Huge though, a couple of his fights were absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement