Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killjoys (Syfy - US Pace) [*** Spoilers ***]

• 04-04-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭

A new summer show on Syfy from Michelle Lovretta, the original creator of Lost Girl.
    In the Quad, a galaxy on the brink of a bloody interplanetary class war, a fun loving trio of bounty hunters attempt to remain impartial as they chase deadly warrants.

British actress John-Kamen plays the lead role of Dutch, a top-level Killjoy who chases deadly warrants throughout the Quad, a distant planetary system on the brink of class war. Ashmore is peacemaker John Jaqobis, and Macfarlane is sarcastic yet loyal solider D'avin.

Macfarlane compared the Killjoys' relationship with law enforcement to private security firm Blackwater's relationship with the military in that it's its own entity that obeys laws within the system, but it doesn't have to follow strict rules. "The one rule that we follow is the saying, 'The warrant is all,' " explained Ashmore. "We basically do what we need to do — bending the rules, if that may be the case — to fulfill whatever the warrant is." Though Lovretta notes that their powers are limited.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Since it hasn't been said yet - starts Friday 19th June (in 2 days). :)

Liked it, didn't love it. I'll watch a few more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Mr E wrote: »
    Liked it, didn't love it. I'll watch a few more...

I agree.

The lead actress is stunningly beautiful and everyone else looks like a model too. Some good fight scenes and the music was interesting but I wasn't all that excited by the story. I'll give it a few more episodes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's not a bad SyFy production. It is, however, missing something. Shall see how it pans out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Bit of a mess this and trying far too hard to be cool. I can't get my head around the RAC... are they bounty hunters or a guild of assassins? They seemed to be about to kill yer man's brother for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this is a hard one to call, syfy has produced some drivel the last few years, interesting to see them going back into space, which is probably the only reason im gonna take a chance on this,

pilot was only so so, id expect them to bed in the 3 main characters by mid season at the latest, and get a decent bad guy up and running,

the two brothers seem pretty boring as was yerone till her father (i presume) poped into it,

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Bit of a mess this and trying far too hard to be cool. I can't get my head around the RAC... are they bounty hunters or a guild of assassins? They seemed to be about to kill yer man's brother for nothing.

The RAC is an independent organisation without any loyalty to any group or organisation. They are not a part of 'The Company'. They offer a service to anyone who will pay. The service is that, they will cross contested jurisdictions for you, find who or what you are looking for and bring it back to you in the condition requested. The client goes to the RAC and tells them what they want, the RAC issues a warrant for the job. The warrants have different levels for different types of jobs. Level 5 is the highest level and is a kill warrant. Lower level warrants are for other things, like the guy at the start of the show, they were just capturing him as he had a level 1 warrant out for him.

The warrants will be completed by reclamation agents (Killjoys) who have a licence to operate issued by the RAC. Killjoys give up all citizenship and allegiance to be part of the RAC.

In this episode it was actually 'The Company' that requested the kill warrant from the RAC on D'Avin/Kobee. It is never explained why 'The Comapny' wanted D'Avin dead or why he was using the alias Kobee Andras or pretty much anything else about his background, except that he used to be a soldier. Dutch came up with the plan to offer 'The Company' something more valuable to them (Rolly/the data nose ring) than the level 5 warrant on D'Avin in order to get them to cancel the warrant and save D'Avins life.

As a result of Dutch taking on the level 5 kill warrant, failing to complete it, bypassing the RAC and going directly to the client and getting them to cancel the warrant. Dutch should be in huge trouble with the RAC but instead she has been cleared. Someone is evidently looking out for her.

So there are plenty of mysteries left to be solved. Who is the grey haired older guy, was Dutch trained from birth to be a super assassin, is she still doing this work, can she be trusted, what did she do before she met Johnny, how can she afford such a big ship, is she going to fall in love with D'Avin.

Why did D'Avin and Johnny drift apart. What happened to Johnny in the past to give him 'Battle Brain', what has he been up to, can he be trusted, why did the company want him dead.

Who in the RAC is looking out for Dutch, will God stage a revolution, what data did Rolly steal.

Yeah, I got all that. I just couldn't see how the RAC operate as hired assassins rather than bounty hunters when there was no crime mentioned.

I just finished watching episode two. I'm enjoying this so far and enjoyed this episode more than the first. I'm not mad about the character of D'Avin but both Dutch and Johnny are very likable and have great chemistry together. The ship has some good one-liners. So far it looks like it will be an adventure of the week kind of show with the main story of Dutch's history slowly getting revealed.

I'm losing the will to continue with this show. Other than getting to see Dutch in her underwear there was nothing of interest in this weeks episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was quite excited about this show after watching the first 2 episodes. It was refreshingly different (compared to Dark Matter which is a mash-up over every show in the genre with an unmistakable undercurrent of Firefly) and enjoyable.

Episode 3 sucked all that enthusiasm out of the room for me. I'll stick with it, but given the writing in ep 3 I can see exactly where the season/show is going and it isn't looking good.

I'd like to be proven wrong because this could be good summer faire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah not a great episode. Actually pretty terrible. They try to make everything out to be fun and light-hearted and have every action sequenced drowned out by loud upbeat music. They need to have some serious plotline coming soon to keep me watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dutch doesn''t really convince as a hardened bounty hunter

I enjoyed this week's episode again. There are serious narrative issues that seem to seep back into all Sci-Fi shows these days. I had hoped that Killjoys could avoid the usual tropes but it seems to have determined its audience and is sticking to it.

I'm really disappointed by this series. I'm a big fan of Orphan Black and Killjoys is made by the same production company, so that initially caught my interest and got me to take a look. But this certainly isn't a tenth of the show that Orphan Black is.

I think Dutch is interesting as a Killjoy and Johnnie is likable and funny as a side-kick/partner/little brother to her, even the ship, Lucy, has some personality and a few good one-liners but I can't stand D'Avin. The problem for me is that the show has an adventure of the week theme with an overall mystery arc relating to the back story of the main characters. While so far the adventures of the week have not been particularly exciting they are OK standard sci-fi kinds of stories. Where the problem lies is that I don't care about the overall mystery arc. I like Dutch the Killjoy and her adventures but I don't care at all about her mysterious upbringing and assassin past. I don't like D'Avin, I don't care what happened to him in the military or whether he finds the doctor or why. If these stories had hooked me then I would be totally on board with following their weekly fun adventures as we slowly uncovered the big mysteries.

• Advertisement

Every few seconds of the last ep I found myself saying WTF... the shootout with the chicks and the "mercenaries" was laughable. A flame thrower? Guys charging them with pocket knives? That chick doing suicide squad instead of just throwing the grenade?
    I just think they've kinda dialled the "brainless" in "brainless fun" to 11.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Every few seconds of the last ep I found myself saying WTF... the shootout with the chicks and the "mercenaries" was laughable. A flame thrower? Guys charging them with pocket knives? That chick doing suicide squad instead of just throwing the grenade?
    I just think they've kinda dialled the "brainless" in "brainless fun" to 11.
    IDK. it's a sci-fi summer show, so you really have to start from a lower rung. I had hoped it would be a bit better, but I've realised it is what it is. The one thing I will say about it is that they do seem to have a larger story arc built in that is interesting and seems to make sense so far (the same can't be said about Dark Matter).

I say watch it for what it is, let it surprise you maybe after it finds its feet and hold out hope that The Expanse is better!

I was ready to give up on this show. But I really enjoyed this weeks episode.

At first I thought it was a remake of last weeks episode of Dark Matter, with a bunch of infected people wandering around an abandoned ship. But by the end I was really enjoying it. I thought the idea of a computer controlling nanites to continuously torture and repair people was a fresh idea. The nanites preventing Dutch from dying in space was a nice twist. I hate to admit it but I even liked D'Avin in this episode.

I'll have to stick with it for another couple of episodes now.

Yeah finally a really interesting episode. Definitely Dutch is the star of the shows and has a semi-interesting back story. The brothers are less interesting but its still a fun summer show. Hate the music!

Thank God I'm not the only one. The music in this show is AWFUL (especially the title music).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

dutch doesn''t really convince as a hardened bounty hunter

Her fighting skills are not great for an uber assassin. They should have made her a gun/knife fighter instead. The main female character in Dark Matter is more believably tough. Nothing undermines a tough character like a dodgy fight.

Maybe the killjoys are like dog the bounty hunter -over the top weaponry but mostly going against unarmed folks :) i kind of liked they didnt have it like Dark Matter when they introduced the female by having her beat up a male in hand to hand combat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its O.K.
    When i heard we where getting two new scifi shows i was excited.
    ive watched all the episodes each week but watching them is not a priority, it might be 11pm Sunday night before i get around to watching them while if i was gagging for the episodes each week.

None of my friends are keeping with it. They all stopped (on both shows) and are waiting to see if they even get renewed before committing

considering i feel the same way about both of the shows i can use the same response for both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Im coming around to killjoys ,
    There is some really naff things (like the worst flamethrower of all time! , I got a bigger flame out of a bunsen burner in school) but the cast is pretty likeable and found myself chuckling at some of the jokes in it (nuns with guns).
    The universe they live in , The company , the rac , the nine is starting to take shape and pull me in.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Thank God I'm not the only one. The music in this show is AWFUL (especially the title music).
    I prefer it to Dark Matter though!

Advertisement