Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old monies

• 01-11-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

I have a big bag full of coin, it's all irish punt currency. 1p all the way to £1. Can anyone tell me if I could bring them to a bank and exchange them. Someone told me I could go the the Central Bank in Dublin, any truth in this? Or are they useless?

Also I posted this here cos I didn't know where else :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

yeah fairly sure you still can. I'd say unless they're a rare date they wouldn't be worth holding onto in your life time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah go to The Central Bank.

I've a shoe box full of them myself-i'll get round to changing them eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I think the banks will take any money they can get, so yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Cool!! Wonder if it would be worth it though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't think it is recognised as a currency now. What would the Punt be worth now? LOL

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't think it is recognised as a currency now. What would the Punt be worth now? LOL

I know it's not a recognised currency! I'm asking do you get anything for it, or do you just give it to the banks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I know it's not a recognised currency! I'm asking do you get anything for it, or do you just give it to the banks?

No,the Central Bank will change it. Don't have a clue how much you get though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't think so because it has no value, but could well be wrong.

You might get more at auction or Ebay?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Old moneys

http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=ncn_comm.asp&nv=ncn_nav.asp

Click here for form for exchange of Irish banknotes and coin.

Exchange of Irish Coin

Coin up to the value of IR£500 can be exchanged over the counter at our Dame Street offices. Amounts over IR£500 can only be exchanged by prior arrangement with our Currency Issue Department. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 2198000.

Counter Exchange
    Bringing your Irish Coin to the Bank in person for exchange

If you wish to exchange your Irish coin in person you will need to bring them to the Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street, Dublin 2.

Opening hours at the Bank are 10:00am until 4:00pm, Monday to Friday excluding Bank holidays. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 4344234.

Amounts up to the value of IR£500 (€635) can be redeemed the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Exchange of Irish Coin

Coin up to the value of IR£500 can be exchanged over the counter at our Dame Street offices. Amounts over IR£500 can only be exchanged by prior arrangement with our Currency Issue Department. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 2198000.

Counter Exchange

If you wish to exchange your Irish coin in person you will need to bring them to the Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street, Dublin 2.

Opening hours at the Bank are 10:00am until 4:00pm, Monday to Friday excluding Bank holidays. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 4344234.

Postal Exchange
    Sending Irish Coin by post

If you wish to exchange your coin by Post you will need to send it to the appropriate address given below.

Please complete the exchange form given below; this is to be sent with your coin. The Bank will then send a payment directly into your Bank Account for the appropriate amount, usually within 20 working days

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wolfric wrote: »
    yeah fairly sure you still can. I'd say unless they're a rare date they wouldn't be worth holding onto in your life time.

I'd say anyone holding a ba gof ould pennies would be a rare date to go out with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The central bank will give you 0.787564 times face value

you may get more selling the coins to a collector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Thought this thread was for old moanies.

:(

Nevermind.

The central bank will give you 0.787564 times face value

you may get more selling the coins to a collector

So £1 = 0.787564? Nice :D
    kincsem wrote: »
    Old moneys

http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=ncn_comm.asp&nv=ncn_nav.asp

Click here for form for exchange of Irish banknotes and coin.

Exchange of Irish Coin

Counter Exchange

This is a great help, I'll have to arrange a trip so. I wasn't sure of any of this, so thanks! Do you work there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

like I said you might get more than face value if you sell to a collector

or some pubs do anniversary specials where they sell drinks at old prices , if you have old money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

OP wrote:
    old monies

for new rope :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

like I said you might get more than face value if you sell to a collector

or some pubs do anniversary specials where they sell drinks at old prices , if you have old money ;)

Point of clarification here.

Capt'n Midnight implied that you'd get .7875 for your coins. That would be the case if you were changing Euro to Punts, but when you are changing Punts to Euros you get 1.27.

So, let's say you have £100 in old Irish coins. You get Euro 127.00.

That rate is guaranteed and is fixed for ever and ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya the Central Bank is your best bet. Will need to go there myself as I still have some punts.

Advertisement