Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV show recommendations?

• 01-08-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Looking for some TV show recommendations. Absolutely loved Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, the first season of True Detective (not into the second season whatsoever, watched 4 episodes and it's not my thing at all, found it really cliché and contrived), also love Homeland, the first season of 24, Fringe, and Mr Robot. I enjoy shows with absorbing story lines and good character development.
    Have tried to watch but got bored of Game of Thrones and The Sopranos.

Any recommendations? I also like shows that feature strong female leads.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have you seen the original version of The Killing? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/

The Bridge or Borgen?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Have you seen the original version of The Killing? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/

The Bridge or Borgen?

Thanks, good suggestions, which would you recommend first? I did watch the first seasons of the American versions of both shows and thought they weren't too bad but not overly compelling, I have heard the originals are better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm watching 'Daredevil' at the moment. Not for the squeamish. I'm loving it so far. I can't find a single fault. No poor characters.

There's already a pretty substantial thread on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maaaaassive sticky thread with recommendations here. :)

Edit: Opening for a while longer. Please stick to the parameters of the OPs request (character development, strong females).

Thanks, I'll be more specific :) - looking for a show that isn't along the lines of Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, GOT, etc.

Have read the sticky of recommendations but I'm specifically looking to get my teeth into something that has some well developed female characters. Along the lines of Six Feet Under, Fringe, Homeland, Fargo, Breaking Bad. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, good suggestions, which would you recommend first? I did watch the first seasons of the American versions of both shows and thought they weren't too bad but not overly compelling, I have heard the originals are better though.

Borgen's the only one that's not been remade in the US, though there was some talk of one, it went quiet then popped up again, who knows what may happen there. It has been described as a Danish West Wing, but even as a fan of that show I think that does it a disservice, tbh. It's not really wish-fulfilment a la tWW.

The Bridge remake...I'd grant the Americans that they made a better fist of it compared to their efforts with The Killing. I've posted here before in detail on its success and failures. Two quick examples - some utterly abysmal police work and a less successfully integrated political angle compared to the Danish original. Maybe start with Borgen or The Bridge. The Killing's first season is quite long (the murder's not solved for a while...) and keep in mind these shows all run to ~56 minute episodes. AFAIK, The Bridge (Bron/Broen) is on Netflix, if you have access to it. The Saga/Martin partnership is great. :)

As for lead female characters, in each of these shows they all have confidence, intelligence, balls and are capable of making decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well developed female leads - Prime Suspect (the UK version with Helen Mirren) is the obvious contender from the 1990s. More recently The Good Wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I think 'The Good Wife' has what you're looking for, particularly in relation to character development and strong female characters. It begins as very procedural case of the week legal drama but in the latter seasons it becomes more serialised and gets even better. Think there's 5 seasons of it on Netflix too.

Also check out 'The Americans' and 'Justified'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I have to agree with The Black Oil. The original Danish versions of The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen are all excellent shows with really well written female lead characters. In terms of character development I would recommend Borgen as the lead character in that changes significantly over the course of the three seasons. In Danish television it seems to be taken for granted that the female characters are equal to the male characters. In a lot of American shows the female characters are shown as doing well despite the perceived disadvantage of being female.

I recently watched all six seasons of The Good wife and really enjoyed it.

If you want strong female characters then try Orphan Black. The actress Tatiana Maslany plays multiple characters in the show but as well as her, there are several very strong and well written female characters.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    The Good Wife I watched up to season three a few years back until it fell off my radar so thanks for reminding me, I binged that and really enjoyed it.

Borgen, The (Danish) Bridge, The Killing and Orphan Black are now added to my list, and I'm happy to see all except Borgen available on Netflix so that's me sorted for the next while.

Really appreciate the responses, it's difficult to find strong female leads who aren't just written in as an afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The 100 - if you're looking for something with strong female leads, currently there's nothing better.

Going back a few years, Dark Angel is great - just re-watched it recently and it still holds up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Gotham. Fish Mooney is a strong female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Happy Valley has a very strong female lead, and the story is excellent too, one of the best things I've watched in a couple of years. Much shorter season (being a BBC production), so easier to fit it in a couple of binge viewing days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The 100 - if you're looking for something with strong female leads, currently there's nothing better.

Going back a few years, Dark Angel is great - just re-watched it recently and it still holds up well.

i stopped watching the 100 after maybe two episodes of season 2 , but i would use a few words about the lead female before getting to strong as a description

Selfish
    irrational
    Entitled
    Moronic
    Spoilt .....

DA though was great and cancelled too soon

Alias first 3-4 seasons if your going retro was great until giant red ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Scandal is ok. Strong female lead character....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...and for laughs...
    First couple of seasons of Weeds are well worth it.
    Also Veep.
    And for drama / comedy that's grim and black, Nurse Jackie has just finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭brian_t

And for drama / comedy that's grim and black, Nurse Jackie has just finished.
    CBS Drama is showing it from the start next month (starts 1st Sept)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

There is also a thread worth reading in 'The Ladies Lounge' discussing strong female characters in TV and Film.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057372237

• Advertisement

Forbrydelsen, The Killing, was on Netflix Ireland up until a few weeks ago. They never added the final season, afaik. The other thing about the remake is that even with the subject matter, it was a pretty miserable show. It also spent too much time going 'evidence points to that guy, he did it...nope, not him, oh maybe that other guy...actually no, not him' and repeated this ad nauseam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

How to get away with murder is worth a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Shameless u s.. Emmy rossum is great
    Orphan black. Tatiana Maslany is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

Deadwood

Men of a certain age

freaks and geeks

Big Love

The sopranos

The Wire

The Shield

Brotherhood

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

Hell on wheels and Tyrant would be two good ones to give a shot. Maybe halt and catch fire, Vikings and the knick might float you're boat too

Edit forgot to mention the Americans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Two not mentioned already are Bates Motel ( having a surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of Norma Bstes) and the scifi drama Continuum.

Advertisement