Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on debt

Options
  • 29-10-2010 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Truly hypothetical. Truly, truly hypothetical.

But basically I am about 8,000 Euro debt in both loans and Credit card. My wife is american, and we have a son together (meaning a Visa would be no problem). Now, I'm in a situation where I may be laid off and would get about 25-35k in redundancy. Chances are we'd move to the USA if this became reality.

Question is: If I moved there, and decided not to repay my debt, would there be any real roadblock to doing that? I know the US credit rating system works independant of here. So would that actually viable? Like I said, it's hypothetical, but I'd still like to know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

davyjose wrote: »

But basically I am about 8,000 Euro debt in both loans and Credit card. My wife is american, and we have a son together (meaning a Visa would be no problem)Now, I'm in a situation where I may be laid off and would get about 25-35k in redundancy. Chances are we'd move to the USA if this became reality.

Question is: If I moved there, and decided not to repay my debt, would there be any real roadblock to doing that? I know the US credit rating system works independant of here. So would that actually viable? Like I said, it's hypothetical, but I'd still like to know???

Just supposing it was you and the debt on your credit card is putting a strain on,
    You would be best talk to your bank (and don't tell them your going to be laid off, personally i'd be telling them I was getting a promotion) and put the card into the loan to take the pressure off.
    Maybe even lengthen the term of the loan if you want to build back up some cash.
    Nobody should do a bunk as it may come back to bite you if you come home. It also might put some pressure on relatives if there's any chasing done by the banks.

It's not Viable, forget about it and talk to your bank and restructure your finances in a way that suits you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

davyjose wrote: »

But basically I am about 8,000 Euro debt in both loans and Credit card. My wife is american, and we have a son together (meaning a Visa would be no problem). Now, I'm in a situation where I may be laid off and would get about 25-35k in redundancy. Chances are we'd move to the USA if this became reality.

the banks owe you more than 8k so fck them
    enjoy your trip !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Locking this before it goes any further. You're looking for information on how to commit fraud. A very stupid and illegal question to ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement