Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double trigger/ deutschem stecher

• 05-02-2015 9:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was using a borrowed rifle at a new range today and it (.22lr) was equipped with a double trigger mechanism, where the front trigger fires the rifle and if the rear trigger is pulled it 'cocks' (?, not sure of english word) the rifle and makes the pull of the front trigger much lighter. The problem was that it was then almost too light and it was hard to reposition my trigger finger without accidentally firing. Has anyone here used this set up before and can give some tips or know the proper technique for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

I have something similar on mine, same concept different design to yours. It's a "single set trigger" where you can either squeeze the trigger as normal and it will fire or you can first push the trigger forward and it makes it go off at a light touch, excellent if your trying to line up a long shot.
    Do you have the option of just not using the second trigger to set up the hair trigger if you don't like it? (dunno the right name)
    Is the second trigger adjustable for how light it is? (There might be a small allan key or screw that can be moved in and out)

All I can say after that is just practice with it, I wasn't hugely keen on mine at first but once I got the hang of it I really like it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Yeah you could just not use the rear trigger which is what my colleague did, but I found the main trigger then a little heavy on the pull. See I don't own the rifle, just rented it from the shooting range so I wouldn't like to fiddle with it. I did like it when it worked properly, I just found it awkward moving my trigger finger (the lightest touch would set it off the main trigger once it was cocked) which is why I was wondering if there is maybe a trick to using it.

How common is the single set trigger do you know?

And actually how do you push the trigger forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

Couldn't really answer that, From what I know the single set trigger is fairly common with Steyr which is what I have and am familiar with, I THINK it replaced the double set triggers.
    As I said mine is adjustable also for weight so maybe older firearms won't have this either but a lot of manufacturers (apparently not steyr though) have a lot of aftermarket parts available so you can customise it pretty much how you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have an Anschutz with this set up.It was pretty common on German and Austrian rifles.Its not too bad once you get used to the concept of a very light trigger pull.
    You can also just use the firing trigger but there is an awful amount of slack to get thru first and then a hard heavy trigger pull before it fires.
    Best trick I find is simply cock the rear trigger and then just use a very light finger pressure to fire ,which is adjustable too to your desire if you have time to fiddle about with it .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Used a Mauser 66 with a set trigger. Its fine once you get used to it. Just be very careful if you don't need to fire and have to un-cock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shouldnt be a problem,once the bolt is lifted and drawn back??It should automatically disengage the set and decock??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Shouldnt be a problem,once the bolt is lifted and drawn back??It should automatically disengage the set and decock??

That's right but I meant just be careful until you get it uncocked, even a light bump or knock could fire it. I don't know if all Mausers were set so light but the one I used to use would fire if you breathed on the trigger!!!

Advertisement