Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cope with the winter ?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi it's getting very wet, will be getting colder, how does one cope? a body warmer? 'pull-ups'?- the latter can be heavy and intrusive?

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i got a few under armour tops in aldi over the weekend, 7.99 each, half the cheapest price I could find anywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Run a bit faster :)
    It never gets that cold really. I'd wear the same gear as summer with maybe a pair of gloves or sometimes a little wind breaker or light running jacket.
    Some people wear base layers but wouldn't see the need personally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I still wear shorts and a t-shirt in winter. Maybe throw a windbreaker on when I'm starting, but usually have that taken off within 10 minutes or so. It's rarely cold enough here to need to layer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't cope with it, you embrace it !

A cold frosty night, with that unique smell in the air, is great to run in. Rain is no issue either, you'll only feel the cold when you stop, although the driving rain right into the face can be sore.

If you wrap up too well you'll be roasting within a kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

A pair of cycling arm warmers, not running ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't really embrace the idea of embracing it, maybe with the right protection I might but not in the wet weather I wok up to...I know that during a run, if the weather turns, it's an awful lot easier, your out there, in the middle of it, warm from internal combustion, but it's very hard to leave the house in that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Horses for courses I suppose. I enjoy being out in the bad weather, rain like this morning I'm fine with. I have a decent OMM running jacket that is as breathable as a rain jacket could be, I wear long sleeves under it purely because sweaty arms against the jacket aren't very comfortable. But apart from that, I don't layer up. Once you're moving, you heat up fairly quick.

I've found that if you have a cheap rain jacket it either cooks you, or holds onto the moisture like a soggy tissue negating any perceived benefit it might have when first put on.

On Monday I stuck on a pair of light running gloves, once my hands were warm I took them off and stuck them in my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^
    ageee. Love it too if not doing a session. Take it for what it is and let the elements dictate the effort.
    My most memorable and favourite run last year was on one of the stormiest nights of the year. What's the worst that can happen... you get wet but that's fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

company too can make a huge difference, this morning the rain is very heavy and Im alone.... a body warmer from an average sports store? is there any waterproof leggings?
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Ososlo wrote: »
    What's the worst that can happen
    Running through Cork flooded last year I thought the same. Crazy to be running in a city when a powercut hits and everything goes dark. However when I got home I had a think about it. Running through flooded streets is not a good idea as water can pop manhole covers off. High winds is the only weather I don't run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

a pair of gloves and maybe a long sleeved top...sure you'll be good and warm after a few minutes running anyway...and too warm with much else on !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Ah here, HTFU will you :) It's a bit of cold and wet, it's not something you need to "cope" with. You just wrap up and get on with it like everyone else. Sure it can be horrible for the first mile or so but as a few have said above you just warm up eventually and hardly notice it after a while, just don't wrap up too much, it gets uncomfortable. Get into a group/club if you can it can take your mind off the weather.

Getting through the difficult weather months is extremely satisfying mentally, just know that while you're out there slogging through the wind and rain hammering down on you, there's others who decided to cop out and sit at home on the sofa or confine themselves to the treadmill. You'll get to March/April much stronger and ready to tackle anything, your reward will be a blisteringly hot summer where you long for those cool winter nights :)

Bought myself some lovely new Ronhill leggings and matching thermal long sleeve at the marathon expo. Got a free pink hat and gloves with them. Thought I was deadly.

Waste of time! I start off shivering but I'm bleedin roasters after 10 minutes :D

I absolutely love running in the rain though. Love it. So I'm probably not a good person to ask. The dark is taking some getting used to though, I don't like that so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

IvoryTower wrote: »
    i got a few under armour tops in aldi over the weekend, 7.99 each, half the cheapest price I could find anywhere else!

Really? which store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

The one thing that would put me off is ice - I'm terrified of falling :o Any thoughts on how to cope with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

The dark is taking some getting used to though, I don't like that so much.

Been running in P Park 2-3 evenings a week for last month or so. I now have a mental picture of my routes that would do a homing pigeon proud. I've developed an almost sixth sense regarding potholes, dips, pavements and other ankle destroying obstacles... By the end on winter I'll be running blindfolded!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kit3 wrote: »
    The one thing that would put me off is ice - I'm terrified of falling :o Any thoughts on how to cope with that ?
    I've tried lots of things like running on higher ground (worked fine, but lots of ice getting to the higher ground (and herniated disc in back after falling on the way back down), Yaktrax - work fine on ice, but when you're commute involves 20% icy conditions and the rest is concrete it's not a very workable solution, and running in parks/fields (terribly boring). There just doesn't seem to be any way to avoid it. I find that a fall is usually down to over-confidence and when I expect the worst, I'm usually better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Did a short 5k last night in 4 degrees, I love the cold. Got a luminous long sleee top in Aldi recently and a pair of gloves(that are quickly removed) Thats it for me anyway, i find baselayers way too warm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

HTFU is right. This is Ireland, not Siberia, Northern Norway or Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've tried lots of things like running on higher ground

wouldn't ice be more common on higher ground? :confused:

• Advertisement

whelzer wrote: »
    Been running in P Park 2-3 evenings a week for last month or so. I now have a mental picture of my routes that would do a homing pigeon proud. I've developed an almost sixth sense regarding potholes, dips, pavements and other ankle destroying obstacles... By the end on winter I'll be running blindfolded!:eek:

I tried running in cabinteely park a week or so ago. I was terrified of going on my snot. I couldn't tell where the paths were at all. It's pitch pitch black so I'll be sticking to the roads I think!

RayCun wrote: »
    wouldn't ice be more common on higher ground? :confused:
    When ice is on lower ground, snow is more common on higher ground.
    I tried running in cabinteely park a week or so ago. I was terrified of going on my snot. I couldn't tell where the paths were at all. It's pitch pitch black so I'll be sticking to the roads I think!
    I was doing some XC training yesterday on the grass in Cabinteely Park. Despite the spikes, I slipped turning a corner, and slid 15 feet down the hill on my arse. Wheee!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    HTFU is right. This is Ireland, not Siberia, Northern Norway or Alaska.
    Ah now... I doubt you'll be hitting the paths of Dublin as soon as the ice descends.. ;)

I was doing some XC training yesterday on the grass in Cabinteely Park. Despite the spikes, I slipped turning a corner, and slid 15 feet down the hill on my arse. Wheee!

Wellll - truth be told. The night I abandoned running in the park (I did go and run on the road I swear) - I went into the playground with my running buddy and we went on the slides, and the zipline, and the swings :D

Then we went on the obstacle course thingy and I couldn't see where I was going and went up in the air and back down on my arse.

Took me ages to get back up from laughing so much. Bloody hurt though :P

Ah now... I doubt you'll be hitting the paths of Dublin as soon as the ice descends.. ;)

Ice is a different story because it is dangerous and can cause injury. But running in 6 degrees celcius with wind and rain? Sure it's not fun, but it's nothing in comparison to what most of Europe, North America and Asia have to deal with in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Also, aside from maybe one run a week (the LSR); you will only be out in the cold for an hour or less. It's not that long to be out!

Ice is a pain in the ass. literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Really? which store?

Drogheda, but I assume the same gear was rolled out to all stores

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ice is a different story because it is dangerous and can cause injury. But running in 6 degrees celcius with wind and rain? Sure it's not fun, but it's nothing in comparison to what most of Europe, North America and Asia have to deal with in winter.

http://youtu.be/UPTt6MgsOt8
    :D

Fully deserved.

What's an "expert jogger" by the way. First time I've heard that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I love running in the rain. I find I always do my best runs in those conditions. I wear the same gear as I do in the summer shorts and a running top. Ok it's cold when you go out but it only takes a few minutes to warm up.

Advertisement