Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Reluctantly left that spread to make it into work on time :(

Great race with PB to boot. Suffered in that wind around 6k but despite that really happy with how things went. That little climb at the end feels like a mountain when you are hurting though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I arrived early and there was little wind to speak of. It was a nasty breeze by the time the race started which for me made the up-wind sections tough.

Lovely flat route and definitely PB friendly. My last bhaa 10k in Firhouse was 41 mins. Today I was low 38 which I was chuffed with.

Bang on 10k on my watch or as near as damned to it.

Best spread of food I've seen after a race ever. Thanks ecoli for leaving early and leaving more grub for the rest of us.

Brilliant event. Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great race, great food and a new PB 40:42.
    thanks to everyone involved for
    making it such an enjoyable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

adrian522 wrote: »
    I must have confused where the start line was as I was waiting for a timing mat but there didn't seem to be one, so I just started my garmin where I thought the guys at the front would have started but my total came in at 6.18 and a time of 52:19. My posted time on the board afterwards was about 52:33 I think so am unsure of what my actual time was.

There was no timing mat at the start. All times in the results are gun times. It took a few seconds for all runners to pass the start line so your own adjusted time is fairly close. Your official time is as shown in the results.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, yeah that's what I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Anyone giving the Dunboyne 5 Mile a go tonight? It will be my first BHAA appearance of 2014, hoping to go sub 34. Weather doesn't look too bad at all at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

At least myself, statss, auldmanking, mrdrak. I'm on the train right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pad-cam

pictures from dunboyne race on racepix and flickr

So much for a PB ! I started way too far back , and as a result spent most of the first mile bobbing and weaving in a desperate attempt to get some kind of forward momentum.An 8 minute plus starter was the outcome, so I sauntered through most of the remainder. Running in the countryside reminded me of the Carlingford HM, even in terms of the pace I was running. The last mile brought some improvement but even then it was annoying hearing guys being called out for sub 34 as I was coming up to the track.I was thinking that should have been me if I had taken an appropriate starting position and pushed myself. A sprint finish got me over the line in 35:32.I was flying but it really only served as a reminder of how little real effort I had made overall. Great spread afterwards but already I'm looking to the Irish Runner 5 Mile to improve my race management and performance. Thanks to all involved with the organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

emerald007 wrote: »

That's a pity. Was looking forward to that one. Really enjoyed it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

That's more than a pity- I was really looking forward to this... Does anyone know what the problem is?
    Does that mean their claim to fame about being one of the races in continuous existence for the longest amount of time is in jeopardy??
    Cyril gave a nice little pep talk about the history of the event when you were toeing the start line- made you momentarily feel like a real athlete. You expected the chariots of fire music to start at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's a shame. I've always managed to miss it in previous years for various reasons but was all set this year. Hopefully it'll happen next year. Looking forward to the 5K trail in the park now.

Apparently the organisers have decided to take the dip out of the trail race for safety reasons. Good idea or bad? I haven't been there in years, but I'm pretty sure I ran through it in a XC aged 14, and it wasn't so bad even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sportygerry

The next BHAA race is the new Dublin Fire Brigade 5km road race taking place on Sunday July 27th at 11am. The 5km route starts in the training center on the OBI Buildings at Marino, goes up Malahide road, turns left at Collins Avenue, Grace Park road and Griffith Avenue and back to the training centre. Registration, parking and changing will take from 9.30 at the OBI buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bhaadotie

Hey,

We're back with another new race in Trim, Co Meath (it's only 30mins from the M50 at blanchardstown) on Saturday September 13th at 11am organised by the Office of Public Works with Trim AC. Full details at the bhaa website

Yours in sport,
    bhaadotie

Mods - any chance we get get url links/photo posting enabled for this account?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

bhaadotie wrote: »
    Mods - any chance we get get url links/photo posting enabled for this account?

Mods can't do that, it's automatic based on your number of posts. (But posting too often from a new account will get you flagged as a spammer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bhaadotie

cheers - just had the same chat with pconn062, guess this counts as 2.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sportygerry

BHAA 5km Trail Race
    The next BHAA race is a 5km trail race in Trim on September 13th at 11am. The fast 5km course is around the Porchfields offers runners spectacular views of Trim Castle and the scenic River Boyne. Race Registration is from 9.30 to 10.30am (allow fifteen minutes by foot to the race start at the Yellow Steeple) with Parking, Registration, Refreshments and Prize Presentation all taking place in OPW HQ, Johnathan Swift Street, Trim, Co. Meath. Tel: 086 807 1887 or email (andrew.davies at opw ie) for further information.

The final race in the Summer League 2014 will be the Dublin Half Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

BHAA - Bank of Ireland cross country race.

Bank of Ireland will host a cross country race on November 8th in the ALSAA sports complex, old airport road Dublin.

Registration will be from 9.45am onwards.

There will be a combined start at 11am.

2 miles for woman.

4 miles for men.

Usual prizes for categories and a good spread of food afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Pronator wrote: »
    BHAA - Bank of Ireland cross country race.

Bank of Ireland will host a cross country race on November 8th in the ALSAA sports complex, old airport road Dublin.

Registration will be from 9.45am onwards.

There will be a combined start at 11am.

2 miles for woman.

4 miles for men.

Usual prizes for categories and a good spread of food afterwards.

is castleknock still on? Looking forward to these after a bit of a gap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

is castleknock still on? Looking forward to these after a bit of a gap!

It is, according the their new, updated website! just went live today! I think.

Yes, Castleknock is on all right. I just signed up for it....my adult XC debut :eek:

Cracking day for a race in Castleknock College. Strange one for me though, apart from it being my first XC since the 1980s!

Legs felt heavier than normal, and I never really got going, spending the majority of proceedings about 15-20 metres behind Garry Clarke, but not having the energy or inclination to try and push past him; too much pizza and provolone last night didn't help my cause. I didn't pass anyone on the third or fourth lap, and the last person to pass me was early on lap 2 IIRC. That is, apart from the 10 or 12 who lapped me, including Sean Hehir just as I was completing my second spin. A completely different level to anything I'll ever get close to!!
    Finished in 30:20 or thereabouts, I can only imagine what I'd end up with in the Garda XC. Fair play to the organisers, quick and efficient check in pre race and lots of lovely biccies, tea/coffee, cocktail sausages etc afterwards....certainly made the stroll home much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Cracking day for a race in Castleknock College. Strange one for me though, apart from it being my first XC since the 1980s!

Legs felt heavier than normal, and I never really got going, spending the majority of proceedings about 15-20 metres behind Garry Clarke, but not having the energy or inclination to try and push past him; too much pizza and provolone last night didn't help my cause. I didn't pass anyone on the third or fourth lap, and the last person to pass me was early on lap 2 IIRC. That is, apart from the 10 or 12 who lapped me, including Sean Hehir just as I was completing my second spin. A completely different level to anything I'll ever get close to!!
    Finished in 30:20 or thereabouts, I can only imagine what I'd end up with in the Garda XC. Fair play to the organisers, quick and efficient check in pre race and lots of lovely biccies, tea/coffee, cocktail sausages etc afterwards....certainly made the stroll home much easier.

The students were certainly very efficient, even with my awkward request to see if I had registered this year. The only time I ever had any issues registering was with the Guards. Worrying.

Nice spread afterwards too. You can't beat a few cocktail sausages after a hard run XC.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Nice event Saturday capped off by the winner making a point of giving all finishers a handshake, top class sportsmanship from Sean Hehir.
    special mention to the tea maker who snuck in a couple more bags than the standard 6-8 usually earmarked for the giant pot. Sorely needed after tough xc.

• Advertisement

Preview piece for Saturday's races at ALSAA...

http://bhaa.ie/bank-of-ireland-cc-2014-preview/

Advertisement