Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2014

Options
  • 18-01-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that there wasn't a 2014 thread.....

Tough race this morning in Cherryfield. Well organised by the good folk from Eircom. Results were ready in quick time too helped by the purchase of the new timing mats.

Another high standard event from the always reliable BHAA stable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

How frequent are the BHAA races? In Dublin I mean, not Cork

Edit: Just had a look at their website: "Combined start at 11.30 am.
    Ladies 2 miles, Men 5 miles" What?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

According to link below, womens start at 11, mens at 11.30. Races are regular enough every 2 or so weeks and link below shows all races up t end of March..

http://bhaa.ie/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I assume you have seen the events page - http://bhaa.ie/events/ then.

Re the combined start that happens in a few of the cross country races. Instead of having two separate races at different times the BHAA run both male and female races at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Anybody know where the full event list can be found on that bloody website!

I checked http://bhaa.ie/events/ but it just shows up to March. Last year there was a pdf somewhere. I'm probably missing it

In general the BHAA have made a hash of this website IMO. The simple outdated html version they had a couple of years ago was perfect. Listed fixtures and results. All a runner could ask for! The results may have been in pdf files but at least there was archive going back 10-12 years. Have these been totally lost? I see results are now archived since late 2009, at least that's something I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

So am I to understand that BHAA races have gender-segregated differences in distance? Seems odd.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    So am I to understand that BHAA races have gender-segregated differences in distance? Seems odd.

Why does it seem odd? It's the same for xc at national and international level.

I find it super odd. Why can women only enter shorter distances? The BHAA races in Cork (which I'm more used to) are 4, 5 whatever miles for everyone...

I find it super odd. Why can women only enter shorter distances? The BHAA races in Cork (which I'm more used to) are 4, 5 whatever miles for everyone...

The women are not stopped from entering the men's races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Look like Cork (like in so many other things) leads the way in gender equality :roll eyes: Up the rebels….the true capital of the republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You realise this is only is for XC races? Cork BHAA appears only to have one xc race. The Dublin BHAA has many...

• Advertisement

And another thing. I organised a BHAA XC a good few years ago and it was the women themselves who wanted the shorter distances, not sure if that's still the case now but would be surprised if it has changed. But as I said the women are welcomed to jump into the mens XC race if they find the distance of the ladies race too short.

I just find it so odd, and sort of insulting. Can't there be a 3 mile and a 5 mile open to everyone, despite their gender? If people are calling for shorter distances then by all means supply them...they don't have to be gender specific. I'm glad that women are not 'stopped' from entering the distances designed for men, I'd be fairly p***d if they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just find it so odd, and sort of insulting.
    First stop on your justice world tour should be the IAAF, who have different distances for men and women for the world cross country championships (and they clearly don't allow women to run the longer men's distance). Contact details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

First stop on your justice world tour should be the IAAF, who have different distances for men and women for the world cross country championships (and they clearly don't allow women to run the longer men's distance). Contact details here.

After that I suggest lobbying to get the women to run the extra 10 meters in the 100/110 High Hurdling event!

drquirky wrote: »
    After that I suggest lobbying to get the women to run the extra 10 meters in the 100/110 High Hurdling event!

Hurdles to be increased in height as well. Ditto for 400 hurdles. Weight of javelins, discus and shot putts also need to be standardised. That's just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

The BHAA is a voluntary organisation with no employees. No-one gets paid - not from the HSE, the AAI, the Department of Sport or from a charity top-up. There are no trips to conferences abroad. The association is governed by a committee that is elected at the AGM.
    TRR wrote: »
    In general the BHAA have made a hash of this website IMO. ...there was archive going back 10-12 years. Have these been totally lost?

One of our unpaid committee members has put a huge amount of time into the website as well as the results system, online entry etc. There is a very good structure there. Part of the problem is the difficulty in getting other members to provide content. Also, we don't have the right person with web design skills available. Job available, no pay though. Any takers?
    I just find it so odd, and sort of insulting.

As mentioned above, the members control the association and the committee reflects the wishes of the members. There are a couple of combined cross-country races on the calendar (5k and 6k) but the general preference is for shorter cross-country races for women than for men - we know that because they have said so. Women are not prevented from running the longer (predominantly male) races but don't qualify for prizes if they don't win their age category. There are some women who run the longer (predominantly men's) races as a preference. Men tend not to run the shorter races, although one of our over 85 athletes has run the shorter races from time to time. Most, but not all, of the BHAA road races are combined with everyone running the same distance. If any member feels that the existing setup should change, they can make their views known to the committee - and frequently do about various other topics. Why not sign up as a member and check out the view of participants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Whatever about the length, i like running the occasional gender-segregated women's race. It gives the lead women a chance to cross the line first, which they rarely do in a mixed race (& I know a woman finished first in this week's Marlay park run -- she ran a great time -- but it doesn't happen often).

I'm never going to cross the line first in a women's or a mixed race, but I ran a BHAA women's' 2-mile last year and finished in the top 10, which i couldn't do in a mixed race. It was just a nice feeling.
    I feel the same about the women's mini marathon - the first three finishers are reported in the newspapers and get a bit of coverage. In mixed races, the first three women don't get as much coverage as the men, probably because they're not out in front of the field the way the men are.

I'm not starting a justice tour at all at all, I'm just used to the Cork BHAA system (I know they only have one XC race, it was a mudbath this year) and I was so very taken aback by the change. I hear what you're all saying, but I still don't like it.

Racman wrote: »
    The BHAA is a voluntary organisation with no employees. No-one gets paid - not from the HSE, the AAI, the Department of Sport or from a charity top-up. There are no trips to conferences abroad. The association is governed by a committee that is elected at the AGM.

One of our unpaid committee members has put a huge amount of time into the website as well as the results system, online entry etc. There is a very good structure there. Part of the problem is the difficulty in getting other members to provide content. Also, we don't have the right person with web design skills available. Job available, no pay though. Any takers?

For the record I never said anything to that contradicts what you've written above, particularly paragraph 1. Also I get the point you're making but same could be said for parkrun although they may have council backing.

However in terms of extracting information from the website it's a little infuriating that the new shiny website doesn't work as well as the old simple html version. And no I'm not volunteering to update the new site.

So back to my original question, is there a list of all this years events somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BHAA = Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. v cheap races with accurate times on accurate courses. what more could u want ?

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    BHAA = Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. v cheap races with accurate times on accurate courses. what more could u want ?

A full list of fixtures. But yes agree with all you've written above.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

TRR wrote: »
    A full list of fixtures.

TRR, the list on the events page covers off the Winter League. Somebody more in the know than me can correct me but I don't think the fixtures for the rest of the year has been fully agreed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Looks like the fixtures up until July are on the website now (under events). A selection of weekend and midweek races. Thanks to all involved in putting the calendar together. Can't wait :).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Is the Swords 5 mile CC this Saturday under threat? It was cancelled last year due to water logging. From memory, I think it was a council decision. Forecast is bad for the next few days so it must be doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I believe there is a course inspection in Swords tomorrow afternoon and there will be an update either way thereafter.

We're Go. There was an inspection in the park this morning and the race on Saturday was given the go ahead. The park ranger reserves the right to close the park totally if there is a major change to the weather conditions over the next 36 hours.

Online registration and membership renewal can be done up until 2pm tomorrow or else at registration from 9.45 until 11am on Saturday.

http://bhaa.ie/events/north-country-farmers-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Did anyone else run today? It was tough out there, wind, rain, muck and cold. One half of the course was pretty solid and the rest was fairly mucky and tough underfoot. The wind on the home straight was a killer. The numbers seemed down on previous races. As always a well ran event.

All the races have been hard this year so far, the weather and conditions have done us no favours. Roll on the Garda race in the park

• Advertisement

Christ that is a low turnout in Swords. It was a rotten day though. Let's hope for nice weather in the park!

Advertisement