Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Q/F Draw - 16/03/12 @ 10:30am

• 15-03-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Eight clubs from seven countries will feature in the draw for the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals and semi-finals from 11.45CET on Friday at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

The lineup was completed on Wednesday when Real Madrid CF and Chelsea FC claimed the last two available berths. The pair joined FC Bayern München and Olympique de Marseille, who had won through on Tuesday, in the draw which will be conducted by UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino and the ambassador for the final, Paul Breitner.

FC Barcelona remain on course to become the first side to successfully defend the UEFA Champions League trophy after completing an emphatic 10-2 aggregate victory against Bayer 04 Leverkusen last week. Elsewhere, APOEL FC created history as the first Cypriot team to reach the quarter-finals, while seven-time winners AC Milan held off an Arsenal FC comeback and SL Benfica overcame FC Zenit St Petersburg to progress.

The draw will be open, meaning, for example, that Madrid and Barcelona can face each other, with the ties to be played on 27/28 March and 3/4 April. The semi-final pairings will also be determined and those games will take place on 17/18 and 24/25 April. The 2011/12 UEFA Champions League final will be held on Saturday 19 May at the Fußball Arena München, and a draw will also decide the "home" team for administrative purposes.
    All the draw proceedings will be transmitted live on UEFA.com. Our live DrawCentre will also bring you all the build-up and post-draw reaction from Nyon.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1768229.html#elite+eight+await+fridays+quarter+final+draw

TEAMS

AC Milan
    Apoel Nicosia
    FC Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Benfica
    Chelsea FC
    Olympique Marseille
    Real Madrid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Chelsea could easily reach the CL final if the draw goes in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can see both Real and Barca being kept apart.

Benfica v Chelsea
    Apoel v Barcelona
    Bayern Munich v Marseille
    Real Madrid v AC Milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Draw predictions. Really?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Draw predictions. Really?

Yes really. Imagine that eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Can see both Real and Barca being kept apart.

Benfica v Chelsea
    Apoel v Barcelona
    Bayern Munich v Marseille
    Real Madrid v AC Milan

How could anyone possibly predict that?

Edit, nevermind, I'll take the following draw please

RM v Barca
    Milan v Bayern
    Chelsea v Apoel
    Marseille v Benfica

...assuming the 'sides' of the draw are determined at this point that is

• Advertisement

moan moan moan moan moan

Essien wrote: »

Dont worry I wont put my house on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In order to see a batch of absolutely class semi-finals I'd like to see the following;

AC Milan - Benfica
    FC Barcelona - Olympique Marseille
    Bayern Munich - Chelsea FC
    Real Madrid - Apoel Nicosia

Bayern vs. Chelsea would be a great one to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wouldn't mind seeing the following myself.

Bayern Munich v Barcelona
    Chelsea V AC Milan
    Apoel V Benfica
    Marseille V Real Madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Trilla wrote: »
    Chelsea could easily reach the CL final if the draw goes in their favour.

[insert any team] could easily reach the CL final if the draw goes in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The pre draw Odds of 9/1 on Chelsea is tempting .

Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Essien wrote: »

Edit, nevermind, I'll take the following draw please

RM v Barca
    Milan v Bayern
    Chelsea v Apoel
    Marseille v Benfica

...assuming the 'sides' of the draw are determined at this point that is

That would do me quite nicely, but knowing our luck you can swap Milan for us then that is the draw.

I could go for two legs of Barca / Real for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

For some reason I think, Bayern Munich will get an easy draw, as they host the final :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I hope we (Chelsea) can get either APOEL or Benefica.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Like to see Chelsea get Milan or Real. Has Chelsea even played either side in the CL? I know they've played Bayern a couple of times in the past and obviously Barca a good few times. So it'd be something different at least.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Like to see Chelsea get Milan or Real. Has Chelsea even played either side in the CL? I know they've played Bayern a couple of times in the past and obviously Barca a good few times. So it'd be something different at least.

I'd rather play AC Milan then Real Madrid.

We played AC Milan in 99/00 and drew home and away, I think AC Milan finished bottom of that group, I think only about 4 points seperated every team in the group, there was alot fo draws that year.

Wise got a goal in the San Siro.

Jagera wrote: »
    [insert any team] could easily reach the CL final if the draw goes in their favour.

Disagree. Apoel, Marseille and Benfica will not make the final imo.

My point is Chelsea are a shadow of the team/squad in previous ECLs yet they have a chance of playing in the final and fluking the cup! Wouldn't back it, but wouldnt have said that at all 3 or 4 weeks ago.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    FYP

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

gavredking wrote: »
    I'd rather play AC Milan then Real Madrid.

We played AC Milan in 99/00 and drew home and away, I think AC Milan finished bottom of that group, I think only about 4 points seperated every team in the group, there was alot fo draws that year.

Wise got a goal in the San Siro.

Ah such happy memories and what a pass by Robbie pure class that.

• Advertisement

Disagree. Apoel, Marseille and Benfica will not make the final imo.

My point is Chelsea are a shadow of the team/squad in previous ECLs yet they have a chance of playing in the final and fluking the cup! Wouldn't back it, but wouldnt have said that at all 3 or 4 weeks ago.

The above teams wont make the final, the 4 favourites for this are easily Bayern, Barca, Real, AC Milan.

An ideal draw for Chelsea is four of those teams draw one another and the winners play each other to get to the final.

In a one off game agaonst any of those teams anything is possible but theres a lot needed for us to get to the final let alone win the thing.

Personally I think Real will win it anyway, but I can always hope we'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I hope to see something along the lines of the following:

Barca vs Chelsea
    Real vs Marseille
    Bayern vs Apoel
    Milan vs Benfica

Whatever happens I'd like to Real and Barca to be kept apart until the final, and neither of them to meet Bayern in QF.

I would love to see Chelsea meet Barca, not because I dislike Chelsea, but because I want to see that rivalry reignited. They've had some great battles the past 10 years, and I think it would be a lot closer than poeple think if they met again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The above teams wont make the final, the 4 favourites for this are easily Bayern, Barca, Real, AC Milan.

Milan, really? Would have Marseille and Chelsea ahead of them tbh. They lost 3-0 to RvP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jagera wrote: »

I cant see Apoel making the final even if they could pick their own draw.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    For some reason I think, Bayern Munich will get an easy draw, as they host the final :rolleyes:

Is that you Mr Moyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

An ideal draw for Chelsea is four of those teams draw one another and the winners play each other to get to the final.

In a one off game agaonst any of those teams anything is possible but theres a lot needed for us to get to the final let alone win the thing.

Personally I think Real will win it anyway, but I can always hope we'll do it.

The same Milan who got destroyed by Arsenal recently? In the top 4 favourites for the tournament? Not a hope. As another poster said Chelsea and Marseille are better, and even Benfica wouldn't be upset with drawing them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I really really really really hope Madrid and Barcelona avoid each other. Madrid to get Chelsea, so at least one of them will be out and Barcelona to get Marseille and Benfica/Munich.
    Lars1916 wrote: »

This calls for a ex-Munich legend to do the draw perhaps..oh look, it's Paul Breitner again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

dfx- wrote: »
    I really really really really hope Madrid and Barcelona avoid each other. Madrid to get Chelsea, so at least one of them will be out and Barcelona to get Marseille and Benfica/Munich.

This calls for a ex-Munich legend to do the draw perhaps..oh look, it's Paul Breitner again :)

He must be really bored, only doing them draws ;)

Anyway, I am not, I never was, and I never will be Mr. Moyes...just someone who does not really like Bayern Munich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Don't mind who Barça get, probably would like to avoid Bayern most at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭batistuta9

apoel will get either barca or real & the semi will have barca v real as a possibility

but i'm kinda hoping it goes something like this:
    Q.F
    1. barca v Chelsea
    2. real v Bayern
    3. Milan v Marseille
    4. Benfica v apoel

S.F
    1 v 2
    3 v 4

might show it up a bit more as the glorified cup competition it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Don't mind who Barça get, probably would like to avoid Bayern most at this stage.

would have thought you'd like to have avoided the best team in Spain the most.

Advertisement