Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with Git

Options
  • 20-09-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have a new job, with a shop that use git, i've never used it before and need to learn git quickly.

Im starting to freak because it seems so damn simple but for some unknown reason i cant get my head around it.

Can anyone please give me some advice on net sources, books etc. that helped them.

btw I dont have a problem technically with command line prompts its the methodology and logic that im struggling with.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Have you mentioned to be people in work that you're having trouble?

No need to freak. Just ask for help.

http://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1

Google is your friend. Tonnes of tutorials out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

KonFusion wrote: »
    Have you mentioned to be people in work that you're having trouble?

No need to freak. Just ask for help.

http://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1

Google is your friend. Tonnes of tutorials out there.

Thanks for the link, not starting the job for another 4 weeks so i have time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I haven't used Git in particular, but for source control generally, the easiest way to learn it is by doing it. It's definitely a good idea to have a read about it, and in particular look up some best practices and stuff, but don't worry too much if you don't totally get it. When you start there get some one to run through an example or two with you and it'll all become clear.

Keep in mind too that different places might have slightly different practices, in particular around things like branching/merging etc, so you will need someone there to run through that quickly with you anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I've only dabbled in some open source projects that use GIT but my first piece of advice is to ignore the GUI and use the GITshell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Forget about any GUI's, depending on what you are programming in, you might even have an IDE with a built in git integration... forget it. The only thing I use something like that for is to show me what branch I am on. Stick with the terminal and you'll be ok.

Here's is a good git reference, a quick reference and a cheat sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Don't forget the git parable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

Thank you so much guys for all the advice. Very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Thanks to everyone on this thread. Git has now become fairly easy. I was merging everything to origin master... :o After reading through this I have created a develop branch which makes way more sense.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Found this simple guide a godsend when learning git under pressure.. http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Whats with all the GUI hate, its very rare that I wouldn't use IDE integration for source control. I find it a time saver having everything in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I find myself using command line AND gui. Gui is better for some operation, like committing a subset of files, holding ctrl-click to deselect some etc. Is handier for doing diffs. Command line is better for simple operations like a quick single file operation, it's faster than doing multiple clicks in a gui.

But yes, tortoisegit (or other gui) can be really annoying to setup because of ssh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i find myself using command line a lot of the time because i find it easier to use than intelliJ menus.

all in all, i used to use svn and preferred it to git, so my troubles might be coming from them being pretty different.

Advertisement