Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Damn right it's "here and now" we care about. Why shouldn't it? We'd rather make the second round (or even maybe, possibly, with a huge slice of luck) a semi final with an experienced squad than go out in the first with a young squad.

We could go out in the first round with an experienced squad but if they're the best 23 players available and we're just not good enough to get out of the group then fine.

These tournaments don't come around that often - I'd have thought that Irish people would know that full well - and every nation lucky enough to qualify should be taking their 23 best players and doing everything they can to win.

As I said, that's the problem. Ireland is a completely different story. Firstly, we're not almost guaranteed to qualify for every tournament like England are and secondly, we don't have the players to do it.

What's great about going out in the QF stage every single time for a team like England? Look at the last WC against Germany. About half of the team wasn't ready to play at the highest level. They should be aspiring to win a tournament and that starts by giving the young guys the experience of being at a major tournament, seeing what it's about.

Plus it's a chance for Roy to get the young guys to buy into his philosophy and way of playing and move away from the baggage that comes with guys like Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think England have made a series of very intelligent appointments, and have slowly built up a bit of leeway with the media, but it could all go t*ts up today.

If Terry is included it's a bit of a joke really.

Can't see why Andy Carroll having 120 minutes or so of good football against Chelsea merits his inclusion either.

Don't know why Ox would be brought when Wenger barely plays him - and the only justification is his age and 70 minutes against AC Milan.

As for the Downing rumours - if he made it then Roy would lose a lot of credibility.

With Defoe, he has barely featured for Tottenham - Why should he get in? Grant Holt is a regular who scores lots in a bottom half side, surely he should go.

- Same as Capello before him, Roy is (if rumours are true) going to go down a very bad route of picking players by name rather than by form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As I said, that's the problem. Ireland is a completely different story. Firstly, we're not almost guaranteed to qualify for every tournament like England are and secondly, we don't have the players to do it.

What's great about going out in the QF stage every single time for a team like England? Look at the last WC against Germany. About half of the team wasn't ready to play at the highest level. They should be aspiring to win a tournament and that starts by giving the young guys the experience of being at a major tournament, seeing what it's about.

Plus it's a chance for Roy to get the young guys to buy into his philosophy and way of playing and move away from the baggage that comes with guys like Terry.

But, as I said, we've got far more chance of winning this one than we do the next one. And no team - England or any other - should take qualification for granted.

We've got a tournament here and now. With the lack of quality in the squad, a new manager and the fisaco of John Terry's involvement we almost certainly won't do well in it but we, like every other side, should be trying to maximise our chances. And that means picking the best players for Euro 2012, not for Brazil 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Oxlade-Chamberlain is going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Johner wrote: »

do yo have any source for this?

Johner wrote: »

Presumably at the expense if someone who has done a lot more to justify their inclusion this season.

SlickRic wrote: »

Twitter - Oliver Kay and Henry Winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

SlickRic wrote: »
    Oliver Kay ‏ @OliverKayTimes

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is IN England's Euro 2012 squad

https://twitter.com/#!/OliverKayTimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Dotsey wrote: »
    here goes:

Hart, Green, Carson

Johnson, Jones, Cole, Baines, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka

Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Barry, Young, Milner, Walcott, Downing

Rooney, Carroll, Defoe, Sturridge

Same as mine except Ruddy for Carson, Lennon for Downing and Welbeck for Defoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Presumably at the expense if someone who has done a lot more to justify their inclusion this season.
    Well Downing is fúcking shíte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I agree with Oxlade-Chamberlain going, most certainly. He has shown he can do it on a big stage (was brilliant in the 3-0 win v Milan) and is extremely versatile. Can play on the wing or more centrally. Bags of skill and pace, could be a great wildcard from the bench.

Edit: And before anyone compares it to Eriksson taking Walcott to the World Cup in '06, it is nothing like that.

Blatter wrote: »
    I agree with Oxlade-Chamberlain going, most certainly. He has shown he can do it on a big stage (was brilliant in the 3-0 win v Milan) and is extremely versatile. Can play on the wing or more centrally. Bags of skill and pace, could be a wildcard off the bench.

Once. He had a good 70 minutes against Milan, other than that his impact has been minimal.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Well Downing is fúcking shíte!

And I've already said that, it'd be a joke if Downing went.

Once. He had a good 70 minutes against Milan, other than that his impact has been minimal.

He's had more than one good appearance in fairness, he has been a real threat in a fair few PL matches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

He's an excellent talent and would bring a hell of a lot more to the party than downing and possibly even walcott. ask a lot of arsenal fans and he would be starting most weeks and is nowhere near is frustrating as theo as a player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He was also terrible in a some games this season. And he only started something like 15 games in all competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Downing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

for his debut season he has done extremely well. cut the kid some slack, no one expected a huge amount from him so early and he has shown he has quality. england have done well is picking him as the wildcard, let's see if they choose anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Goalkeepers
    1.Hart, 12.Green, 22.Ruddy

Defenders
    2.Johnson, 3.A.Cole, 5.Lescott, 6.Terry, 14.Baines, 15.Cahill 23.Jones

Midfielders
    4.Gerrard, 7.Parker, 8.Lampard, 11.Young, 13.Milner, 16.Carrick, 17.Walcott, 18.Barry, 19.Chamberlain

Forwards
    9.Bent, 10.Rooney, 20.Welbeck, 21.Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

So is this going to be on SSN at 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

leposean wrote: »
    Goalkeepers
    1.Hart, 12.Green, 22.Ruddy

Defenders
    2.Johnson, 3.A.Cole, 5.Lescott, 6.Terry, 14.Baines, 15.Cahill 23.Jones

Midfielders
    4.Gerrard, 7.Parker, 8.Lampard, 11.Young, 13.Milner, 16.Carrick, 17.Walcott, 18.Barry, 19.Chamberlain

Forwards
    9.Bent, 10.Rooney, 20.Welbeck, 21.Carroll

Is Bent really in? Despite not playing since February and not being match fit?

He's an excellent talent and would bring a hell of a lot more to the party than downing and possibly even walcott. ask a lot of arsenal fans and he would be starting most weeks and is nowhere near is frustrating as theo as a player

But he hasn't been starting and that is the point. He has 15 starts in all competitions (very few of them recent) and he has had a standout game against Milan and a good game against United. I don't see why he should get into the squad ahead of others who have contributed more this season, just because he is young.

So is this going to be on SSN at 1?
    Yep.

He was also terrible in a some games this season. And he only started something like 15 games in all competitions.

He only made his full debut in January, and has been in and out of the team on a regular basis since then. He's had more good games than bad ones from what I've seen of him. He's very capable of changing a game and would be a good option from the bench for England. He's a unique player and offers something different. I'm not saying he's a world beater yet or anything but I'd personally bring him.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Rickie Lambert. Best English striker bar Rooney, IMO and will prove it in the Premier League next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm still crossing my fingers for Rickie Lambert. Best English striker bar Rooney, IMO and will prove it in the Premier League next season.

The Steve Bull of 2012 - possible I suppose.

I'd like that, but won't happen IMO.

Walcott is IN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ruddy is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

England Euro 2012 stand-by list: Jack Butland, Phil Jagielka, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, Daniel Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

FA Webmaster out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

England squad: Hart, Green, Ruddy, Baines, Cahill, Cole, Johnson, Jones, Lescott, Terry, Barry, Downing, Gerrard, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Walcott, Young, Carroll, Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck.

Michael Carrick doesn't even make the standby list, Jordan Henderson gets in ahead of him - wow.

Rio confirmed definitely out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No Micah Richards, but Stewart Downing? Is he taking the piss? What a joke! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

How does Jack Butland get on the standby list ahead of Stockdale Or Carson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Downing?! I'd have taken Raheem Sterling! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Downing??? Carrick not even on the standby list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No Crouch either, which I think is a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

No Milner? LOL. No Bent either thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Michael Carrick doesn't even make the standby list, Jordan Henderson gets in ahead of him - wow.

I wouldnt be Carricks biggest fan but I reckon he at least deserves to be ahead of Henderson on standby,he had a very good season for Utd while Henderson stuttered through his first season at the Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mike65 wrote: »

Or Doni......oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Load of **** really. Very poor selections IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »

He's trolling Dalglish! Carroll, Downing and Henderson on standby.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Milner is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Milner's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Milner is in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Harry to be England Manager by ...... when do the group stages end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thats an awful squad, England really have some very poor players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Carrol instead of Sturridge?Nah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement