Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I paying rent to often?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Good to see a positive outcome! It does rather sound like they were trying it on in the hope that you wouldnt notice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jelly 292 wrote: »
    Well, I had a chat with LL and its sorted.

At first when I rang the response was' well its 500 per month but I collect every 4 weeks'
    So I politely explained the problems with this to which she just repeated the above quote! I went through the issues again with her and suggested I sould be paying on the same day every month. i.e. the 27th , and she said fine, no problem and Ill see you on rent day.
    So I think LL knew full well what they were at but they folded straight away once I laid out the facts as I saw them. It all ended politely and no bad vibes, I think.

So thanks boardsies for all your help and suggestions of approach, your all lifesavers :)

Lesson learnt!

Tell them you'd prefer to pay into their bank account directly as you don't carry xxx amount of cash on you ever and that it's more convenient for both parties to have electronic transfers... see what the reaction is and keep us updated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

LL was not interested in bank transfers, she basically said : alright,cash, ill see you on the 27th. The thick plottens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Jelly 292 wrote: »
    LL was not interested in bank transfers, she basically said : alright,cash, ill see you on the 27th. The thick plottens.

Just make sure that you are getting receipts.

Personally in this day and age I find the idea of paying rent in cash to a landlord to be absolutely laughable; no way I would entertain the idea of meeting up with them once a month to hand them a wad of bills. If they dont have a bank account into which I can transfer money then I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

djimi wrote: »
    So by that logic does the word "year" mean 13 months instead of 12? Because you cannot have it both ways!

There are 13 lunar months in a year. What of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Personally in this day and age I find the idea of paying rent in cash to a landlord to be absolutely laughable; no way I would entertain the idea of meeting up with them once a month to hand them a wad of bills. If they dont have a bank account into which I can transfer money then I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them.

Couldn't agree more with this, and I'm a landlord. Frankly the thought of having to 'collect' the rent seems archaic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also the hassle of having to meet her. You should arrange to pay by dd, but rest transfer the money online hate dd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

ted1 wrote: »
    Also the hassle of having to meet her. You should arrange to pay by dd, but rest transfer the money online hate dd

I would never go direct debit with a landlord there is no need to do that. Standing order is what should be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My brother and his wife paid cash every month and they drove out to the landlords house 40km away to put it through his letterbox. :rolleyes::rolleyes: They got no receipts or had no contract although after 7yrs i assume they were part 4. I always thought this was bang out of order and after an issue (of their own making) last year i repeatedly told them they needed receipts as they had no proof they'd paid their rent. They'd never had rent book and no receipts after the first 12mnths when the rent went up. Stupid i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Limericks wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »

I would never go direct debit with a landlord there is no need to do that. Standing order is what should be used.
    I concour if my predictive text worked rest would have said really. Hence the hate dd part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Glad you got it sorted OP and definitely make sure you are getting receipts. There are all sorts of reasons you may need one in the future. Hopefully it won't ever be a problem but if you lost your job, for example, you'd need to show a record of payments in order to apply for rent allowance. Make sure you protect yourself.
    There are 13 lunar months in a year. What of it?

No there aren't. A lunar cycle is slightly more than 29.5 days. There are 12 lunar cycles every 354 days. Every third year there will be 3 new moons within one year but there are only 12 complete lunar cycles per year.
    jen84 wrote: »
    Ha, she could quite possibly be thick!! I was out for dinner with a bunch of old mates recently & one of the lads new girlfriends was trying to tell us (like it was a massive revelation!) how in fact pregnancy was 10 months instead of 9!

So apparently theres 40 weeks of pregnancy, which divided by 4 weeks in every month is 10 months!!- in her calculations,

Oh dear.... we all politely nodded

An especially stupid statement as there are 38 gestational week of pregnancy, as we currently calculate weeks pregnant, the conception happens at the beginning of week 3. Most pregnancies are slightly less than 9 calender months long. I got pregnant in mid-February and am due early November, slightly less than 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I hope you deduct the overpaid rent from the next payment op.

iguana wrote: »

No there aren't. A lunar cycle is slightly more than 29.5 days. There are 12 lunar cycles every 354 days. Every third year there will be 3 new moons within one year but there are only 12 complete lunar cycles per year.
    A period of 4 weeks is called a lunar month to distinguish it from a calendar month. You have described a lunar cycle which has nothing to do with a lunar month. The phrase "lunar month" is not a statement of the length of the lunar cycle which is a matter of astronomy. The phrase lunar month is a term of art in law.

A 12 month lease in common law lasts 48 weeks. If intended to last a calendar year the lease would have to be for 13 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My girlfriend had the same situation. They loved the house and got on well with the landlord but she demanded getting paid weekly and came on different days to collect the money.

My solution was that they would leave the monthly rental amount in an envelope every month and she could come when she wants and take what she wants (supervised of course). She didn't agree.
    I tried to explain to her that if there's 5 weeks in a month that they are paying more that month (everyone was paid monthly) but she didn't understand!

In the end they had to move out & the next tenant left too because of the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

It's either calendar month rates or weekly rates, not both!

If someone says monthly = x, than that is per whole month (i.e., calendar).

If she said the rent is €125/week, then that's what it is.

What does you contract say? A proper calendar month rental contract will say pay 'x' per calendar month on 'y' day of the month. As in for June 2012 rent pay whatever it is before the 1st of the month.

( the quick of estimating monthly calendar rent is multiply weekly rent x 4.3. Sometimes weekly rent is quoted as it sounds cheaper on an advert or when discussing it; in reality, she wants rent of 537/month, not 500. )

• Advertisement

n900guy wrote: »
    It's either calendar month rates or weekly rates, not both!

If someone says monthly = x, than that is per whole month (i.e., calendar).

If she said the rent is €125/week, then that's what it is.

What does you contract say? A proper calendar month rental contract will say pay 'x' per calendar month on 'y' day of the month. As in for June 2012 rent pay whatever it is before the 1st of the month.

( the quick of estimating monthly calendar rent is multiply weekly rent x 4.3. Sometimes weekly rent is quoted as it sounds cheaper on an advert or when discussing it; in reality, she wants rent of 537/month, not 500. )

That is not the law!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sometimes DAFT etc. give the amount in months when it should be in weeks. You have to go by the contract and not the ad.

(Maybe there would be a law that would prove me wrong but I think this is the case.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cash in hand can mean tax evasion; the Op said i think that the tenancy is registered with PTRB though...I always pay by standing order, as of course there is the record then.

Advertisement