Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with co-worker

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of a sticky problem with work at the moment. Two months ago a new guy started who I work close with every day but he really hasn't taken to the position at all. We are given a list of tasks to complete between us everyday but I am doing much more of this and feel he is really holding everything back as I have to redo things he has completed wrong despite explaining it everyday. He doesn't use his own initiative and I really do not feel he is capable if he has not picked it up at this stage. Everyday I am stressed as we are always running way behind when we shouldn't be, if everything isn't done it is a reflection on me also. I don't know what I can do because he is a nice guy but very stressful to work with. Is there anything I can say or do about this without getting him in trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i am in a similar situation as you, except its my boss doing things wrong or not doing them at all. i was very patient for the first month.. but i felt i had no choice but to speak to my area manager.. who was very helpful. After i spoke to her i keep a detailed account of all the work i do in the office diary, my boss can see this too so there is no lying or backstabbing going on.. my area manager checks this book when she comes down so she can see what exactly me and my boss are doing (or not doing). Im still having issues and i am stressed over it, but i feel i have given her a fair chance and if she cant do the job that she was employed to do, it is not my fault... one of the best lesson i have ever learnt is don't mistake co-workers for friends..... you co-worker is willing to take responsibility for the work you do, what happens when its not done or done wrong? cover your own back hun

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Firstly you need to have a chat with your colleague and make sure he understands what jobs/tasks he has to do by the end of day( if not you, you set him 5 things to do (or whatever number). He might be just lazzing about because you're there longer, and more familiar to work and relying on you to get both of you through the day. However, maybe he is not up to the job anyway.

If so, then you really need to talk to your supervisor/boss and let them know what is going on. This guy might be a really nice guy but at the end of day why should you be sweating over this!!

You need to put some pressure on him and don't get into a clicky friendly environment yet until you know he is capable of the job he was hired to do.

HTP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Could the 2 of you do the same one job at the time? - that way you can supervise his input.

Maybe after awhile he'll be able to go on his own, if not, then would be the time to call in a manager.

Advertisement