Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of nest is this ?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

Found this in my shed , while it looks well made I need to get rid.

Are they bees or wasps?

Whats the best way to remove it so they dont come back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well im guessing as there are wasps on it in the pic its a wasps nest.

You need to contact someone like Rentokil etc to remove this as they can be very dangerous so dont try to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

That is a wasp nests my friend, and a big one at that, they must have been working at at that along time for it to get that big.

Its common to have wasp nests in the shed or attic in the summer, but understandably they are dangerous, especially if children around.

Best way get rid of it, get yourself some insecticide like a can of Raid, which is a wasp and fly killer, about 2.50 a spray can in Dunnes, when you get that best time to act is at night or when cold and raining so the wasps are sapped of energy and drowsy,
    Make sure you wear clothes that cover all parts of your skin and body just in case, gloves, and cover your head with a hat etc,

Approach the nest making sure you can leave quickly by standing near the doorway, and give it a good spray for about 10 seconds(not any longer as wasps may attack you in defense), make sure you get all the nest and inside the entry holes, then get away from it in a hurry, come back to it later and you should find dozens of dead wasps underneath it and the nest inactive ans quiet, this is the time to knock it down, from the roof, when you do that the remaining wasps should crawl out dying, watch out for the Queen, she is 3 times the size of normal wasp,
    When done sweep into bag, tie it and put it in your wheelie bin

There is a more humane way but it will cost you money and alot more hassle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks alot for the advice :)

I'll do as sugested Rojo , not looking forward to it tho.

Would the Queen normally be in the nest ?

Once destroyed what are the chences they will come back to the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm not too up on wasp nests, and the extermination thereof - but I would not follow Rojo25's advice (no offense Rojo!).

Just seems to me that the combinaiton of inexperience person, can of raid and large wasps nest is not something that is going to end well.

Noopti wrote: »
    I'm not too up on wasp nests, and the extermination thereof - but I would not follow Rojo25's advice (no offense Rojo!).

Just seems to me that the combinaiton of inexperience person, can of raid and large wasps nest is not something that is going to end well.

Well with all due respect, I dont see you posting up any solutions to dealing with the problem, the only other option is to call a pest remover and they cost an absolute fortune, and is it really worth going to this trouble to deal with a wasp nest which is a common occurrence in Summer when wasps breed.

Raid is an insecticide that is most effective against wasps, cant see why you shouldnt use it.

Trust me Barr this is the most effective, safe and cost free option, if you not comfortable doing it get on to Rentokill but be prepared to fork out a fortune for something that can be easily dealt with yourself.

Oh make sure you not allegic to wasp stings(or bees), just in case

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks alot for the advice :)

I'll do as sugested Rojo , not looking forward to it tho.

Would the Queen normally be in the nest ?

Once destroyed what are the chences they will come back to the same spot.

Queen will be always in a nest, when the nest cracks hoping you will see hundred of tiny pods, these a wasps yet to be born, pretty cool.

Wasps are opportunist, they basically settle were they want, there is no garuntee they will set up a nest there again, if they did it would be purely coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

How many wasps would live in a nest that size? Have to say the pic really freaks me out, sent shivers down my spine when I opened it first!

Is there no-one that provides a service to relocate these and other insects nests? Seems a bit harsh to kill them.

Wreck wrote: »
    How many wasps would live in a nest that size? Have to say the pic really freaks me out, sent shivers down my spine when I opened it first!

Is there no-one that provides a service to relocate these and other insects nests? Seems a bit harsh to kill them.

Wasps make their nests from wood, which they chew up to build it, so garden shed and attics make perfect locations for the nest, as the wasps have plenty of wood particles nearby.

Id reckon about 30 wasps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Maybe its just me, but I think the nest looks quite nice, all the rings and stuff on it, nearly looks like a piece of art. That said I'd still be killing the feckers.

Noopti wrote: »

To be fair to Rojo , I believe his advise is logical and worth a try. I got a sting already off one of them so I know I'm not allergic. What the worst that can possibly happen :D

I agree the nest is like a work of art, it’s amazing what nature can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are some pictures here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633600 of the inside of one that someone posted here a while ago. They truly are an engineering miracle and a work of art in one. It's almost a shame to have to destroy them I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alun wrote: »
    There are some pictures here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633600 of the inside of one that someone posted here a while ago. They truly are an engineering miracle and a work of art in one. It's almost a shame to have to destroy them I feel.

Damn you I went looking for that!.

I got a really cool guy in to remove that one LINK..

He was an education (hence the photos) and took me through the whole making of the nest and the living/mating condition's of the wasp.

After the removal the wasp buster guy sprayed down the shed and told me without this the wasps would come back to nest there again..

(sorry for going on about it, but he was deadly!)..

He brought me through all the different sections of the next, and the materials the wasps used to build it. Then he noticed some blue plup and asked was there a neighbour with a blue shed or fencing.. We had, so he called down and found a smaller one there & removed it free!.

The photos still excite me, and give me the shudders at the same time!.

Damn you I went looking for that!.

I got a really cool guy in to remove that one LINK..

He was an education (hence the photos) and took me through the whole making of the nest and the living/mating condition's of the wasp.

After the removal the wasp buster guy sprayed down the shed and told me without this the wasps would come back to nest there again..

(sorry for going on about it, but he was deadly!)..

He brought me through all the different sections of the next, and the materials the wasps used to build it. Then he noticed some blue plup and asked was there a neighbour with a blue shed or fencing.. We had, so he called down and found a smaller one there & removed it free!.

The photos still excite me, and give me the shudders at the same time!.

Hi Julieta Wrong Rancher - Do you remember what was the name of the stuff he used to stop the wasps coming back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had a big nest in my attic last summer, Guy told me it was one of the biggest he'd seen in a while, it cost me €80 for him to spray it to kill them all, and he went up and sprayed around the entrance outside, he didn't remove the nest as he couldn't reach it(wedged well into the eaves), but they didn't come back.
    Well worth the money, myself daughter and the dogs all got stung by the b@stards.
    I'm not living in Dub though, down in the south east in a small town, so probably why it was cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi Makikomi - Do you remember what was the name of the stuff he used to stop the wasps coming back ?

No idea, sorry.

Bought a anti wasp foam in B&Q for €4 yesterday and gave them a quick spray last nite.

This is what I found this morning :)

The Queen seems to have survived tho ? Does this mean she will rebuild or will she feck off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Bought a anti wasp foam in B&Q for €4 yesterday and gave them a quick spray last nite.

This is what I found this morning :)

The Queen seems to have survived tho ? Does this mean she will rebuild or will she feck off ?

Jesus - that looked to be effective. Rojo I'm sorry i doubted you! I know this might sound cruel, but can't you give her another spray?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Jesus - that looked to be effective. Rojo I'm sorry i doubted you! I know this might sound cruel, but can't you give her another spray?

She’s outside the shed and buzzes off the minute I try spay her. Hope she doesn’t harbour a grudge for destroying her home :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

She’s outside the shed and buzzes off the minute I try spay her. Hope she doesn’t harbour a grudge for destroying her home :D

Burn house to ground and start again, only way.

tommy21 wrote: »
    Burn house to ground and start again, only way.

thats my plan B , need a plan A first :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Owl Pest Control

thats my plan B , need a plan A first :pac:
    The queen is likely to die by the end of the week end, even if you do nothing. She is not able to rebuild a nest, so it is all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Are you sure all the larve is dead? Them eggs might still hatch and come back for revenge for ruining their home and killing Mummy!!!!??

Very interesting though, I hate wasps but their nests are incredible. I wonder how long it takes them to build one this size?

yungwan wrote: »
    Are you sure all the larve is dead? Them eggs might still hatch and come back for revenge for ruining their home and killing Mummy!!!!??

Very interesting though, I hate wasps but their nests are incredible. I wonder how long it takes them to build one this size?

Funny you say that , I cleared up today and some of the larve seemed to be moving. I threw them into a sealed plastic bag so they can hatch away in that.

Found the body of the Queen as well - she was one big bitch :D. It must have been a bee that I saw before outside the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

cool thread Barr. Any pics of the queen?

telecaster wrote: »
    cool thread Barr. Any pics of the queen?

Thanks telecaster , afraid not. In hindsight I wish I did though - just didn't think of it at the time.

Advertisement