Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court summons civil case

Options
  • 24-06-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

All

I have received a court summons from a solicitor for me to attend as a witness in a civil case in Limerick and I am living in Dublin

It would cost me a considerable amount of money and a day's unpaid leave or holidays from work to go and I really don't want to / see the need for me there

I have sent him an e-mail telling him I won't attend and I have tried to contact him numerous times by phone but he hasn't responded to anything

Am I under any oligation to attend? What enforcement powers does he have? Am I covered based on the fact I sent him an e-mail weeks ago telling him I wouldn't be attending and he hasn't responded?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You are entitled to be paid your expenses and loss of earnings. You should question the solicitor about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You are entitled to be paid reasonable expenses and you are under Court Order to attend failure of which is contempt. You are entitled to be paid by your employer for your absence

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Golfusr

Thanks for the advice.

I rang the court a while ago too and they said that if I didn't plan to attend that it wasn't up to them I should speak to the solicitor...but he has been impossible to contact!!

I can reclaim my expenses but it's really the hassle and the fact that I really don't want to attend that makes me think I won't go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I thought that witness summonses for people who have to travel a distance were accompanied by a payment on account to get you there. I think it used to be called a viatacum or such like.

OP contact solicitor and ask for money on account to get you there.

Also, ask solicitor how long you will be required to be available to give evidence as you may also need to book accomodation overnight.

Incidentally, OP, you are legally obliged to answer a witness summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, all the info is here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vague info as usual from CI.

OP you could be waiting sometime for your expenses to be paid. It is all very well saying the loosing side pays, but you will be made wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>youre entitled to be paid by your employer

all well and good if you have a 9 to 5 job but what about a shift working job?
    If I tell my employer I won;t be free next tuesday I'm marked off the calendar, so I get no work, I don;t work every tuesda so my employer won't pay me, this is the real world and as long as we have unpaid jury duty it will be populated by OAPs, civil servants, and those who are unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lorraine_ie

You are actually not entitled to be paid by your employer unless you have been called for jury duty. If you are being called to be a witness for a personal injury case or other, then the party who requires your attendance must pay your expenses.

And you can bet left a long time waiting to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Haddockman wrote: »
    And you can bet left a long time waiting to be paid.
    I imagine witness expenses are only totted up and paid out at the end of a trial - i.e. when the case is settled and it has been decided who is going be paying for the damages.
    In the case of a criminal trial, if you're called by the DPP you'd be paid fairly swiftly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Lorraine_ie

Expenses are usually paid out either when serving the summons or just before or after the trial. If the plaintiff is requesting your attendance then they pay the expenses and claim them back off the defendants at the end of the trial if they are successful.

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine witness expenses are only totted up and paid out at the end of a trial - i.e. when the case is settled and it has been decided who is going be paying for the damages.
    In the case of a criminal trial, if you're called by the DPP you'd be paid fairly swiftly.
    I was a witness for the state in a case a few years ago. I was waiting 3 months to get my 2 days wages back from the DPP.

Advertisement