Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glute activation

Options
  • 11-07-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭

So was in a new physio today and he really knows his stuff.

It seems that my calves are over developed due to lack of glute activation.

rlgxs2.jpg

This is what they look like when I am sitting down and not flexing them. My glutes are very weak. Does anyone have a workout to activate my glutes as I think it is a key for me to become a better runner.

Advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did the new physio that really knew his stuff not give you some exercises?

Anyho youtube is your friend, clams, bridges, planks, squat walking with a Pilates band around your knees - youtube for the right technique as you need to isolate the glutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Previously I had an issue with my glutes, physio said they were 'misfiring'. Basically they were a lazy muscle that wasn't doing their share of the work, led to a minor hamstring tear. The stretch that I was given is called a bridge - see link below. Not the most comfortable, but very good. Front and side planks were also included to help strengthen the core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOPkM2pzznc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AIS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Ososlo wrote: »

Not stretching but more strengthening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Superman, side planks, donkey kicks. that ais stuff probably helps, maybe.

I had glute issues before, during and after the London marathon. However since I stopped running 5 days a week it's cleared up! Balls of an injury so you're lucky to have pre-empted it.

Oh yeah, use ankle weights also.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Superman, side planks, donkey kicks. that ais stuff probably helps, maybe.

I had glute issues before, during and after the London marathon. However since I stopped running 5 days a week it's cleared up! Balls of an injury so you're lucky to have pre-empted it.

Oh yeah, use ankle weights also.

"pre-empted" .. i wish :(

http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=19972
    http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2012/06/ankle-weight-exercises-for-the-butt/

both of these look like what i need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

rom wrote: »
    My glutes are very weak. Does anyone have a workout to activate my glutes as I think it is a key for me to become a better runner.

Running up steep mountain trails is what worked for me. I do a mountain run about once a week and have noticed a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

http://kineacademy.is/gogn/nutlimur1/pdf-itarefni/myrtl.pdf

Some good stuff here for the general pelvic region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

By the way, do you wear running pants or just avoid the sun in general?? :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    By the way, do you wear running pants or just avoid the sun in general?? :D

I mostly run in the evening. :cool:

Not interested in skin cancer. Father had it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The exercises given above are definitely working on the right area however if glute activation is the issue then strengthening exercises are too advanced as your muscle firing patterns won't be corrected on a neurological level.

Start simply by doing butt clenches, progress to breaking down the movements of a superman i.e but clench, leg extension, back extension and work through this until you get to the stage when you can do the movement fluidly with the muscle engagement pattern going glutes, hamstring, lower back.

After this is you can start to get into progressive strengthening exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

I'm going to second ecoli's advice. I had a problem with glute activation and while a couple of physios had identified my glutes as weak the exercises they had me doing were too advanced for my non working muscles. Then one physio gave me a program of very basic glute strengthening exercises and worked up from there. It was not a quick fix and is still a work in progress but I have improved immensely. I also had the nice big overworked calf muscles :)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Rom don't know if you're into distance running but wouldn't distance running have a catabolic (and not anabolic) effect on primary usage muscles like the calves?

corny wrote: »
    Rom don't know if you're into distance running but wouldn't distance running have a catabolic (and not anabolic) effect on primary usage muscles like the calves?

Yeah distance and I don't do any other sport and they just started to get bigger due to it. Looking at good runners like sub 15 5k guys their calves are lean.

I did do some 1 to 1 training for glute activation before and it really brought me on. Need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

ecoli might be able to comment as to when these fit into a plan, but this was a mix of exercises I got as part of physio visits (that moved me from being calf/quad dominant for running to feeling a lot more stable + less injury prone). Usual structure was to do three sets of 8 of each exercise, twice a week.

First two weeks, just get glutes firing:
    Next few weeks add some variation. Initially without weight, then progressed with a medball and dumbells:

After that introduce:
    I guess what works best for people will vary, but I found these really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Buzzbee100

Hi there, I'm a runner and have had trouble with my groin for doctorsrs, so much so that I had to quit running and focus on 1. reactivating 2. Strengthening groin 3. Running re-education .

I've been through 8 months of physio. Basically glute wasn't firing. Took about 2 months for glutes to actually activate. I cannot emphasise enough that there is no point in doing ANY strengthening work until those glutes start to fire. Then once it fires you need to strengthen by doing squats ( need to perfect the technique! ! Otherwise you're reinforcing old habits) . It's quality over quantity.

There's a groin rehabilitation centre in Sports Surgery Clinic.

I thought I was going to have to have surgery until I went there.

I've been to see lots of people: physios, physicaltherapists, doctors, consultants.

And a good running technique wil keep you running for life.

best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

Surprised no one has mentioned lunges for getting the glutes fired up. That's what worked best for me - forward, sideways and walk lunges - carrying weights. I too had overdeveloped calves, and thought I had strong upper legs too. But I was wrong, my glutes and quads were weak and the calves were doing all the work. Not now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Lunges are the easiest way. It can be hard to target the glutes which would be especially hard for you if you already don't fully activate them. Barbell or dumbbell lunges are the easiest way to target them without too much concentration but if you practise good form, deadlifts, barbell hip thrusts and deep squats are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I found something like this to be useful although initially just simple bodyweight forwards, sideways and backwards lunges are plenty.

Advertisement