Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 or Level 8 Course?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Sitting the leaving cert this week and looking to apply for a couple of different level 8 business courses in Carlow IT but I'm not sure if I'll get the points. Was wondering if I go into the level 7 for 3 years will I have the option to do the extra year and get the same qualification as the level 8? And does it make much of a difference once you're working which you have? Sound.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Roundtree wrote: »
    Sitting the leaving cert this week and looking to apply for a couple of different level 8 business courses in Carlow IT but I'm not sure if I'll get the points. Was wondering if I go into the level 7 for 3 years will I have the option to do the extra year and get the same qualification as the level 8? And does it make much of a difference once you're working which you have? Sound.

I originally signed up for a 3 year level 7, they give you the option to complete the level 8 which I am hoping to do next year ( results permitting) . In terms of work prospects, a level 8 is a higher qualification than 7 so you might as well stay the 4th year and try get the level 8

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Exactly what threein99 said. There are a variety of courses in different schools that will have a level 6 or 7 course, with the option of moving on to a level 7 or 8 if it is available for another year or two. As for what this means in the real world? I'm not there yet, still in the college but can only presume that having a degree itself is a great thing, while having an honours degree might just stand out a tiny bit more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One option might be to start looking for a job after the third year and if you can't find one, go on and do 4th, not sure if you've to commit to it earlier than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

In terms of the working world it would be much better to have a level 8 degree and working towards a Masters; a degree is no longer a guarantee of a job and there are numerous graduates who can't get jobs hence Masters is now becoming the discerning factor.

Also aim for a level 8 1st as this makes it much easier to be accepted for a Masters degree, i.e. may cut out interviews etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Everyone I've talked to in my area of industry say that you should try and get some experience under your belt before you do a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

It depends on what your industry is, you will never be able to replicate the working environment in a classroom or lecture hall and you can't really develop teamwork in such an environment either.

However, you should bear in mind that a degree is really being diluted these days because nearly everyone has one so if you want to stand out from the crowd a Masters is going to help you there. Plus don't forget you have to play the long game and a Masters will open up various avenues and opportunities that won't be available to you via a degree and especially not a level 7 degree.

Advertisement