Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

think I am fired?

Options
  • 29-10-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi, I work part time at a fast food place and well I have anxiety issues and serious mental health issues and last week I was supposed to work saturday and sunday but didnt appear as well I got into a ''slump'' don't want to explain how bad I was.... and well I didn't ring in as I was very bad went to the doctors about it and well got a note but now I think Im fired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why do you think you are fired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

I think I am fired as I rang up to explain and they said I wasn't on the rota for working tomorrow or this week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What ever job your in if your going to be off let them know so there not left in the lurch, there's really no excuse for not telling them.
    If your not on the rota, i'd start looking for another part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If you had made your Boss aware of your issues, possibly well in advance of any episodes, I'm sure that they would be quite understanding.
    Now however, they probably feel that they can't depend on you as you not only didn't turn up but failed to inform them or give them any reason. I would imagine that the Staff levels are quite small and every member is vital so just 'not turning up' can leave them in the schwite in fairness.
    Best bet now is to try to arrange to meet the Boss personally and explain yourself. Otherwise looks as though you're goosed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

It can't hurt to go in and explain the situation and present the doctor's note. If the manager is an understanding person, they will understand. If they are not, they won't.
    It is worth doing. A job is a job.

Good luck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The best thing to do in this situation is be honest with them, If you take the time to explain what happened and show some level of remorse over it all then unless your manager is made of stone they will give you some leeway on this and might give you some shifts in future.

From their point of view you could have been off on a couple of days bender on the booze and did not bother your arse to let them know which would have put them in a very difficult situation with having to arrange cover and not being sure if you would be there or not.

Either way go talk to them, at the very worst you might end up with a good reference from them if they don't want to accomodate your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I know it can be hard but you really have to ring if your not going to be there. Could be in trouble alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Employers need to reasonably accommodate people suffering from mental health issues.

Unfortunately your no-show would not fall inside the scope of this definition. If you couldn't phone your employer you should have asked someone to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you didnt show up, without any phonecall or warning, you have shown the worst kind of attitude.

For all your employer knows, you may have just left without telling anyone. If you did that to me, I wouldnt put you on my rota as I wouldnt expect you to turn up.

I think you have some explaining to do, and in person, not on the phone.

Advertisement