Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Trap - quick questions

Options
  • 30-06-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Driving into work this morning (not 100% focused / early morning driving) and think I have gotten caught by a garda speed trap after turning off a major road - id say I was 5-10kph over the limit (got down to the speed limit as I went past the squad car). This was on just off a major road on a regional road (going from 80kph -> 50kph speed limit)

Anyone have any idea how this works? - I have seen similiar threads but they didnt go into the detail of this exact kind of situation.

I was NOT flagged down in anyway by the guard - all I could see was the garda with the laser and the front bonnet of the squad car (couldnt tell if it was traffic corp or not). I dont believe there was a camera in operation - only one guard was out of the car and the windows of the squad car were rolled up.

What is the likelihood that is a catch - how soon should I find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you should be fine .... worst case you get a fine and penalty points (its not the end of the world ...no need to panic)

relax .... if a fine is going to come in your door it would be in 2-3weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you should be fine .... worst case you get a fine and penalty points (its not the end of the world ...no need to panic)

relax .... if a fine is going to come in your door it would be in 2-3weeks.

+1 relax. More than likely not caught at all.
    Hercule wrote: »
    Driving into work this morning (not 100% focused / early morning driving) and think I have gotten caught by a garda speed trap after turning off a major road .........

I'd be less worried about the speeding and more worried about driving while not 100% focused!!!! But hey....thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I understand that such a check requires the Garda (unless he/she catches the full reg.) to follow and pullover the offendng driver and issue a FPN.

Stand corrected however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Driving into work this morning (not 100% focused / early morning driving) and think I have gotten caught by a garda speed trap after turning off a major road - id say I was 5-10kph over the limit (got down to the speed limit as I went past the squad car). This was on just off a major road on a regional road (going from 80kph -> 50kph speed limit)

Anyone have any idea how this works? - I have seen similiar threads but they didnt go into the detail of this exact kind of situation.

I was NOT flagged down in anyway by the guard - all I could see was the garda with the laser and the front bonnet of the squad car (couldnt tell if it was traffic corp or not). I dont believe there was a camera in operation - only one guard was out of the car and the windows of the squad car were rolled up.

I wouldnt worry most speedometers over state your speed. In the uk its allowed over state your speed by 10% id say we are the same. I find that the gps is usually spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CarlosV

Just wondering if anyone knows where a speeding fine is sent. I haven't been flagged down by the guards but I just realised that the address on my vehicle registration log is an old address so a bit worried that things may have been posted there since I moved and I haven't gotten them. My licence, insurance and tax are all updated with current address so I'm hoping they send them to one of those...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Goes to the address to which the vehicle is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jarndyce

You weren't caught in this case. There is no need to worry.

Advertisement