Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nier anyone?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 2:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to see if we can get a bit of a discussion on this game. I really wasn't interested in this game after the poor review scores it received but hard a lot of people of forums talking about how the reviewers had got it wrong and it was probably the best game of last year. To solidify that the reviews hadn't a clue was the terrible Joystiq coverage of the game where the assigned reviewer didn't review it because he got stuck a few hours in at a part of the game that he would have gotten out of if he just looked in the top right hand corner of the screen at the map and the big flashing light telling him where to go. The game going for 15 euro at the time sealed the deal.

Now I wouldn't go so far as to say the game was one of the best of last year like some people but it is really good and a very interesting game, if it wasn't for Deadly Premonition it would probably be the most interesting game of 2010 for me. It's been compared to Zelda by some but again it's not really like Zelda. It's a typical hack and slash game and for the most part it's kind of derivative. The world of Nier is quite open but the main push of the story is very linear. There are subquests but these are all boring fetch quest but thankfully aren't necessary to beat the game and can be ignored.

I'm not really selling this game but there are some really good points. The Boss battles are absolutely spectacular and heaps of fun. The soundtrack is also the best I have heard in a game in years. Even though the main hack and slash gameplay isn't anything special the game goes out of it's way to change up gameplay styles. The vast majority of the game is hack and slash but sometimes the perspective will change and it becomes more like a diablo clone, or a bullet hell shooter. Sometimes it takes abilities away from you and it becomes a puzzle game. At one point the game even becomes a text based adventure. It's interesting to see what the game will throw at you next.

The stand out however is the narrative. The story is excellently localised and written. The acting for the most part is superb with Weiss and Kaine being absolute standouts. Characterisation is great, again Kaine and Weiss standing out the most and the banter between these two is hilarious. I don't want to spoil anything but it's one of the better stories written for a game in the last few years. Be warned however this game is very depressing. The gmae has 4 endings which are accessed by beating the game 4 times in a row, after the first playthrough you restart at the halfway point. It's well worth playing through the game again the second time because of a very clever piece of narrative which I won't spoil but lets just say it changes your whole preception of the characters and story from what you thought the first time through.

Anyway, are there any other Niers fans that want to talk about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've been humming and hawing about this game for ages, like you I've been put off by miserable scores but have seen it around the €12 mark alot.

Worth a splash for €12?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah definitely. It really doesn't deserve the bad review scores. There's nothing wrong with the gameplay, it's great fun, it just doesn't stand out as a hack and slash like zelda, ninja gaiden of DMC would. There's a lot of complaints about the side quest but they are totally optional and only net you money which is kind of worthless. However the story is excellent and well worth experiencing, especially the road to that second ending. The boss battles are amazing and the way it changes gameplay styles keeps it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i bought it, allways want to go and properly start it again!

i think i was stuck same way as that reviewer, in that sky town in canyon. It was damn horrible! i spent hours and hours in cicles, when i just needed to go 5 steps to the left and up after zoning in...

i know that you need to finish it more then 2 times just to have a hint WTF happening as its constantly changing etc. i really really want to go and play it, but newer find time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Heards both good and bad things about this game, but might give it a look, as its being sold pretty cheap these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i bought it, allways want to go and properly start it again!

i think i was stuck same way as that reviewer, in that sky town in canyon. It was damn horrible! i spent hours and hours in cicles, when i just needed to go 5 steps to the left and up after zoning in...

i know that you need to finish it more then 2 times just to have a hint WTF happening as its constantly changing etc. i really really want to go and play it, but newer find time :(

It was actually the bit where you have to go fishing. there's two beaches you can go to in the town and he went to the wrong one despite the other beach clearly marked by a waypoint on the map.

To be honest important tidbits in the story aren't quite clear, you'll have to read up on it afterwards to make sense of what happened in the past to create the world of Nier. the japanese version came with a book that described it all that was left out of the western release but it has been fan translated.

The second playthrough doesn't really give you much more info really it's more that it completely changes your preception of the characters and what actually happened.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Heards both good and bad things about this game, but might give it a look, as its being sold pretty cheap these days.

You should go for it. There's nothing wrong with Nier, no glaring faults like bad design or bugs it'sjust not as polished as other games. It's still a lot of fun. If you enjoy games that are a little different despite not being quite perfect then you should definitely go for it and for the price it is at the moment it's hardly much of a dent to your expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should go for it. There's nothing wrong with Nier, no glaring faults like bad design or bugs it'sjust not as polished as other games. It's still a lot of fun. If you enjoy games that are a little different despite not being quite perfect then you should definitely go for it and for the price it is at the moment it's hardly much of a dent to your expenses.

if i remember correctly bosses are prety epic in it. one of the coolest part of the game!

Indeed they are and the the soundtrack helps a lot as well. This could be my favourite boss theme ever:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Savage game. still haven't gotten round to beating it though. The soundtrack is very very good. Excellent voice acting.

But yeah that fishing moment was piss poor design. pretty good otherwise.

Pity the main character looks a bit like a gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bought it a while back for a tenner, added it to the pile and forgot about it. I might have to revisit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bought it a while back for a tenner, added it to the pile and forgot about it. I might have to revisit it.

Snap ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Yeah I played a few hours of it and then it went back in the pile in front of the TV. I see it there looking at me and I keep meaning to play it, but this thread has given me the kick I needed to pick it up again.

I think once you get some magic the game really starts to be fun, but it takes an hour or so to get to that point, so I would say give the game some time to get going before writing it off. Before that point the enemies are boring and the combat is very simple. Once you get your magic and unlock some more moves, and fight a couple of bosses you'll see where the fun is.

I'm really hoping that 8-4 are used by S-E for more localisations, they have done a fantastic job on Nier.

Advertisement