Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

very sick pug puppy

Options
  • 04-08-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I have an issue with my dog who is an 8 month old pug. I had him in a boarding kennel for the weekend (which i hated but had to do) but since I got him back he has had diarrorhea with blood in it. I nearly had heart failure when I seen it. I rang the vet and she told me not to bring him in yet, that it was common for dogs to get this as they can get very stressed after being in a boarding kennel. She told me to make him fast till tomorrow night then give him rice and chicken and see how he is.
    He has had all of his injections and is wormed regularly but I can't help worrying it might be something more serious. So I was just wondering if any of your dogs ever got this after being in a boarding kennel.

I will be devasted if something happens to him :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP -

it is common for dogs to poo alot after being in boarding... as they were tense and now they relaxed hence the diarrorhea etc... this has happend to my cocker in the past... but NEVER blood...

if it were me and this was my dog i would go straight to the vet...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It may be nothing more than a tummy upset after a change in food at the kennel. Did you send his usual food with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you rang the boarding kennels to ask them had he diarrhoea when with them?

I have seen dogs who have had severe diarrhoea for a few days to start getting blood in their diarrhoea, the intestines are so raw from the diarrhoea they bleed. Blood in diarrhoea is also a sign of parvovirus but if he's fully vaccinated it's unlikely he'd pick that up (although I did hear one case of it in a fully vaccinated adult dog), it's usually accompanied with severe lethargy. Could also be that he ate something dodgy and it's become stuck. Does he usually scavenge around and eat things he's not supposed to?

How many days now has he had it? And find out from the kennels if he had it with them. If it's been going on since the start of the weekend I would be putting pressure on the vet to bring him in and put him on a drip (to regain lost fluids through diarrhoea). If he is lethargic or off his food I would be asking for x rays to be done also to rule out a blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would be finding another vet if it was me to bring him down. Blood in their stools is never a good sign and its usually a sign of a very upset tummy or a virus.

I wouldnt take the chance and leave him much longer.

Kennels can be very stressful for dogs and it could cause a tummy upset alright. Did you leave your own food with him when he stayed or would he have been fed something different?

Is he in good form apart from the upset tummy?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

The poor little thing! Blood doesn't sound normal at all. I'd get him to a vet regardless. If it were me I'd want to make sure he's okay, and at least if you bring him and they tell you there's nothing wrong, you then won't have to continue worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP my dog got a very bad tummy last week (my fault for letting have cheese at class) and there was loads of blood in it. Not streaks of mucus and blood but full on blood in the poo and drops of it after he went so I got really worried. I let it go 2 days and he didn't get better - the vet gave him antibiotics and something else to firm the poo then and was goingnto take him in the next day if he didn't improve but once I handed the cash over her bounced back lol. He said fast for 24 hours then feed small and often. My guy was really lethargic and wouldn't drink - if your dog seems ok I'd go with fasting like the vet says and see how they get on. Bright red blood means it's from the lower intestines and more than likely stomach upset the vet said it can look a lot worse than it is. I always have some royal can in sensitivity and probiotics put by justnin case he gets the runs - the RC usually stops it in it's tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

Thanks so much for all the advice guys :) I'm going to ring the kennels first thing in the morning. He has had it all evening but Im going to bring him to the vet tomorrow. I gave the kennels his own food so that rules that out but he is a bit of a scavanger so he may have gone down the bin or ate something dodgy when I brought him for a walk. He seems fine though apart from the bloody diarrahea, he's still running about the house and plaguing me to play with him :D
    hope he's ok though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be concerned by the Vet's advice because of the blood & also because a small dog like a Pug can easily become dehydrated. The other problem is that you don't know when this started. Maybe the Vet was trying to save you the cost but it would ring alarm bells with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My dog frightend the life out of me when she had colitis I always thought blood in the poop was sudden death (being paranoid) but more often than not it's just a nasty infection. Sometimes it clears itself and sometimes it doesn't. The dog would have a temperature I guess if the infection was bad. I don't tend to feed mine for 24 hours(vets are now recommending you feed to give the bowel the nutrition it needs but I think when the tum is that upset and crampy it's better to give it a little rest for a while before feeding but that's just my opinion) and then start feeding royal canin sensativity or plain boiled rice and boiled chicken but if you are worried or think the dog is dehydrated then take him to the vets esp. if he is a bit of a scavenger.

Unless a dog has a sensative nature or there is something wrong with the kennels themselves there shouldn't be a reason for them to get a tummy upset after being to a kennels. A good kennel will do everything to make sure the dog is happy. Although ok dogs, like ourselves, can pick up tummy bugs as well from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP how did she get on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement