Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O&K

• 05-01-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

lads, anyone have any information on O&K diggers, looking at one for a self build, price seems really good so im thinking something is wrong, anything to look out for on them? any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Spare parts might be hard to get, has it a deutz engine?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

yep has the deutz engine, needs a brake fixed aswell, the seller tells me cheap fix but worried it could end up costly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

cadete wrote: »
    lads, anyone have any information on O&K diggers, looking at one for a self build, price seems really good so im thinking something is wrong, anything to look out for on them? any advise would be greatly appreciated

I have a O&K RH 4 , late eighties 13 tonne servo control , great machine will get for hours on a few gallons of diesel ,
    the slew brake is fluid operated - the cylinder under cab may need to be replaced, the brake slew hub is external and easy to access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

cadete wrote: »

I don't know much about the O&K but would advise against them,
    They are cheap because they are an oddball, nobody wants them, when you come to sell it you will find the same problem, nobody will want it and you will be stuck with it making it an expensive machine
    As another poster says parts could be hard to get, You say a break needs to be fixed and its an easy fix, if you were selling a machine and there was an easy fix would you have It already done. What else needs to be done.
    Better off getting a 5/6 ton Hitachi or 3cx. it will cost more to buy but will also sell in the morning.

9935452 wrote: »
    I don't know much about the O&K but would advise against them,
    They are cheap because they are an oddball, nobody wants them, when you come to sell it you will find the same problem, nobody will want it and you will be stuck with it making it an expensive machine
    As another poster says parts could be hard to get, You say a break needs to be fixed and its an easy fix, if you were selling a machine and there was an easy fix would you have It already done. What else needs to be done.
    Better off getting a 5/6 ton Hitachi or 3cx. it will cost more to buy but will also sell in the morning.

Regards the slew brake , you will rarely use it only as N emergency brake , it didn't work on mine either when I bough it as it was sitting idle and water got into the fluid , parts can be got both new and secondhand in this country , a lad in killdare has a few of them scrapped and a lad in Galway also cork, my digger has 14000 hours and that stopped working over 10 yeas ago , everything is still original , also they are faster hydraulic than a dash 1 hitachi , they also have a double pump , they were popular years ago , very expensive supposively ,
    plenty of them still across the pond,
    that's just my two cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

Regards the slew brake , you will rarely use it only as N emergency brake , it didn't work on mine either when I bough it as it was sitting idle and water got into the fluid , parts can be got both new and secondhand in this country , a lad in killdare has a few of them scrapped and a lad in Galway also cork, my digger has 14000 hours and that stopped working over 10 yeas ago , everything is still original , also they are faster hydraulic than a dash 1 hitachi , they also have a double pump , they were popular years ago , very expensive supposively ,
    plenty of them still across the pond,
    that's just my two cents

That's fair enough. You like them. I would still be looking to buy a machine that would be more popular now, easier to sell on

To be fair parts can be got for most machines but how long does it take.
    The father needed a transformer for a starter for a tractor and it was quicker for us to buy a genuine one off ebay than wait for the main dealer.
    If the lad in Kildare is kingswood , he has a habit of when things get rare he will send the machine for scrap as no one will have been looking for parts off it.

9935452 wrote: »
    That's fair enough. You like them. I would still be looking to buy a machine that would be more popular now, easier to sell on

To be fair parts can be got for most machines but how long does it take.
    The father needed a transformer for a starter for a tractor and it was quicker for us to buy a genuine one off ebay than wait for the main dealer.
    If the lad in Kildare is kingswood , he has a habit of when things get rare he will send the machine for scrap as no one will have been looking for parts off it.

the reason I bought the o&k is that it Was's cheap and suited my budget , it all depends on the price of the machine , if something big went you can scrap it and not be too much out of pocket

Advertisement