Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Correctness gone mad

Options
  • 01-07-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Read an article on the Sunday Business Post today outlining the launch of an online toolkit for employers to help them with diversity in the workplace. The toolkit has been launched by an organisation called GLEN (Gay & Lesbian Equality Network). The article quotes David Roche, GLEN's Director of workplace diversity ".....or give visibility to lesbian and gay staff for business or company related achievements where appropriate."

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with the workplace and discrimination based on sexual orientation is, rightly, illegal.
    I think it is political correctness gone mad to push for some kind of positive discrimination for lesbian and gay workers achievements in the workplace.
    I would also suspect that such positive discrimination would be illegal and while many fellow employees will suss the sexual orientation of their colleagues it has no place in the official policy of an organisation to embrace the sexual orientation of their employees except to ensure that no bullying is tolerated.
    I wonder what next, sexual orientation quotas for boardrooms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

You make a good point against the hypocrisy's of affirmative action but I can't stand the term "political correctness gone mad" as it is the worst of all political clichés. Apparently any modern reformist policy that goes to far can be called political correctness which is insulting to something (political correctness) which is at it's root a force for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

OK, I am going to temporarily lock this thread.

OP, please PM me or another moderator if you have an actual link which shows that this is somehow a government policy or regulatory issue, rather than a business issue because the way you have described it, it sounds like the latter and this isn't the forum for that.

In a note to other posters (whose posts I have deleted), please do not think that because the topic of a thread involves gay people that this is your opportunity to complain about Pride parades, gay PDAs, or whatever other aspects of gay identity or culture that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread but that bother you enough to want to drag things off-topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement