Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need weigh docket to tax Landcruiser?

• 26-01-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Changed last year from a commercial van to a commercial Landcruiser (SWB) and last week I tried to tax the Landcruiser for the first time.

The tax documents have been bounced back to me as they require all of the usual paperwork again (goods only declaration with Garda signature, letter from revenue/company, etc) even though I've submitted all of these documents previously for every other commercial vehicle I've had.

But now they also have an 'Other Requirements' section which states:
    "If the unladen weight of the vehicle is over 1524Kg, the vehicle must be weighed at an authorised weighbridge and a weight docket must be submitted."

The vehicle has always been commercial, it's not an import, always been in Ireland.

When did they start looking for weight dockets just to tax a jeep?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭9935452

Different tax offices seem to have different requirements ,
    I would say try a different tax office but if everything else is ok it might just be easier to give them what they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Where are you ? If Dublin try Hammond lane , the will do it for small donation to poor box

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

I'm in County Mayo and my nearest weigh bridge (20 miles away) has recently closed down. The others I know of (30 to 40 miles away) are only open during my working hours so a bit of a pain overall. Rang the tax office to query why they need it weighed but they didn't seem to know the answer themselves, other than "It's a requirement".
    They never had this requirement before when I've taxed commercials for the first time.

The Mayo Co Co website has a list of authorised weighbridges but their website appears to be down.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

R0C wrote: »
    I'm in County Mayo and my nearest weigh bridge (20 miles away) has recently closed down. The others I know of (30 to 40 miles away) are only open during my working hours so a bit of a pain overall. Rang the tax office to query why they need it weighed but they didn't seem to know the answer themselves, other than "It's a requirement".
    They never had this requirement before when I've taxed commercials for the first time.

The Mayo Co Co website has a list of authorised weighbridges but their website appears to be down.. :rolleyes:

Try going in again and taxing it and say nothing u might get someone different and they might just do it for ya plus the weight is on the taxbook anyway i don't know why they wanted u to weigh it. I thought that was for trucks more so.

Yeah I thought it was for trucks also.

Can't avoid providing the docket to Mayo now as they have sent me a list of requirements in order to tax the jeep, and the weight docket is right there in large writing on the first page.

Contacted Mayo Co Co again prior to wasting my time having the documents bounced back to me again (applying via post), and they provided a list of "authorised weighbridges" they accept dockets from.

The only weighbridge not in North Mayo is Mayo county council's own weighbridge at their yard in Castlebar. The rest are Belmullet, Ballina and Newport. They can't tell me how much it will cost for the docket, and the weigh bridge is only open at certain hours during the working day. This is nothing more than a money maker for the county council.

I've checked with adjacent counties, you have to have an address in the county in order to apply for vehicle tax there. Luckily I have an address in another county which doesn't require a weight docket, so I'm going with that option.

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it was for trucks also.

Can't avoid providing the docket to Mayo now as they have sent me a list of requirements in order to tax the jeep, and the weight docket is right there in large writing on the first page.

Contacted Mayo Co Co again prior to wasting my time having the documents bounced back to me again (applying via post), and they provided a list of "authorised weighbridges" they accept dockets from.

The only weighbridge not in North Mayo is Mayo county council's own weighbridge at their yard in Castlebar. The rest are Belmullet, Ballina and Newport. They can't tell me how much it will cost for the docket, and the weigh bridge is only open at certain hours during the working day. This is nothing more than a money maker for the county council.

I've checked with adjacent counties, you have to have an address in the county in order to apply for vehicle tax there. Luckily I have an address in another county which doesn't require a weight docket, so I'm going with that option.

good man. I was going to suggest another county council.

for the laugh you should have told them it was under the weight of 1524kgs and u didn't need a weight docket. then when they tell u the weight ask them if they already know the weight, why do they want a docket??

9935452 wrote: »
    good man. I was going to suggest another county council.

for the laugh you should have told them it was under the weight of 1524kgs and u didn't need a weight docket. then when they tell u the weight ask them if they already know the weight, why do they want a docket??

If I had thought of that in time I'd have given it a go. :D

According to the County Council, this is a new rule that all county councils are bringing in so plenty of other people will have their chance to deal with it I'm sure.

If I had thought of that in time I'd have given it a go. :D

According to the County Council, this is a new rule that all county councils are bringing in so plenty of other people will have their chance to deal with it I'm sure.

Tis a money racket . There is no practical reason for it. You can ring a main dealer who supplies the weight, or its on documentation, or Google it

tax renewal online from now on so? to avoid getting caught with this.

Here is another stupid one. i have a road legal quad. i went to tax it . my options were private at 185 or general haulage vehicle at 325.
    Because it had a drawbar it should have been taxed as a general haulage vehicle, a vehicle that could legally tow 500kg, general haulage !!
    I went private.
    I said something about taking off the drawbar and she said i would have to take it to an nct centre to get it reclassified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Husband got his weighed at the local dump and brother got his done at a quarry. Could you try either of those in your area?

I would've happily taxed online but they've never provided me with the pin code for taxing a commercial online. I asked a couple of other people with commercials and they haven't received the pin code either. The pin box on the tax renewal form is blank.

All silly rules like that do is drive people to work the system.

heldel, my county council provide a list of authorised weigh bridges (all in north mayo, castlebar being the most southerly available in the county), the local quarry isn't acceptable. I guess it depends on the county council, some are more relaxed than others.

I have now taxed the vehicle in another county without any of the extra paperwork or weighing required. I did get a warning about the tax disc being only valid for work related purposes, the disc is deemed null and void for personal/social/domestic reasons, if I were to have even a minor road accident I may find myself having difficulties with road traffic laws&insurance, in line with new directives issued last year.

As I'm only using the vehicle for work related purposes, this won't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Don't mean to highjack your thread but I am thinking of getting a Nissan Navara, the sole purpose of use will be private use. Can anyone tell me how this would be taxed? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

what engine size is it if its 3.0 your probably talking €1300 easy roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

Tax is probably least of your worries www.nackerednavara.com

Advertisement