Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to register a screenplay

Options
  • 18-03-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

How do I do this in Ireland can I do with the irish film board or with who?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Film Board don't offer a service like that.

The Writers Guild of America do I believe and I think Raindance might.

Although in reality I don't think there's a need. You automatically own the copyright to any script you write.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

There is a need because of proof of concept issues. Some hack cam easily take "the hook" from your script if you shop ir around, change a few items around it and get the result produced hoping no one is the wiser.

The W.G.A. DOES allow you to register online but the last time I did so they needed something most Irish don't have. PM me for details.

And of course wotsername had no answer for you. Hardly surprising.

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    And of course wotsername had no answer for you. Hardly surprising.

Who's wotsername?

That's what every agent and prodco. likely said.

*badoomp-boomsh!*

That's what every agent and prodco. likely said.

*badoomp-boomsh!*

Was there a post deleted in this thread?

I honestly can't follow what you're on about.

Who does wotsername refer to?

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter. What does matter is every writer protecting their I.P. when even John Landis says in documented interviews that Hollywood steals. His exact words. And prodcos and reps don't look at unregistered screenplays. They require WGA reg. at the very least and some folks also want a Library of Congress reg.

Doesn't matter. What does matter is every writer protecting their I.P. when even John Landis says in documented interviews that Hollywood steals. His exact words. And prodcos and reps don't look at unregistered screenplays. They require WGA reg. at the very least and some folks also want a Library of Congress reg.

In Ireland, which is where the OP was asking about and where I was answering about, I have never ever heard of a production company asking for WGA registration. And to clarify, when I said there's no need, I meant I don't think there's a need if you're planning on selling your script in Ireland.

In America although WGA is asked for sometimes but registering your work with the US Copyright Office is better as it offers more legal protection.

I don't think the OP is shopping their script around in America though as they asked about registering their script with the Irish Film Board.

Also, who's wotsername? And why was it "hardly surprising" they didn't provide an answer?

Deleted for respect of sad professor.

Deleted for respect of sad professor.

Does he know who wotsername is?

:)

If sad professor doesn't allow me to growl back when someone plays "poke the bear" but sllows the poking then you might still have broken the same rules despite attempting to finesse them.

Btw, as those rules require us to stay on topic, and the topic is scripting and screenplays, how many many have you written and which prodco execs have you negotiated with, as that is on topic and helpful to the OP?

/RESPECTFULLY fullfilling all mandates of the house rules, non patronizingly yours, R4F

• Advertisement

If sad professor doesn't allow me to growl back when someone plays "poke the bear" but sllows the poking then you might still have broken the same rules despite attempting to finesse them.

I'm asking questions because I was trying to understand what you were on about. You weren't making yourself very clear. Now if you had messages deleted for breaking the rules that's not my fault at all.
    Btw, as those rules require us to stay on topic, and the topic is scripting and screenplays, how many many have you written and which prodco execs have you negotiated with, as that is on topic and helpful to the OP?

Well that's none of your business whatsoever but I sense you're dying to tell us all about your work so please do enlighten us!

I've answered the OP's question about registering a screenplay in Ireland and clarified as to what my points were referring to. Production companies in Ireland do not require your work to be registered before reading it. Or at least I have yet to come across one that does. As for the American market - would you not agree that registering a screenplay with the US copyright office offers more legal protection?

As for wotsername - why on earth are you mentioning them on this thread? They've never even posted in this forum. Have you confused me with them somehow?

Well what you sense and what actually "is" has no definitive link. :) as for the rest of it you weren't bang on and deflection doesn't provide us with an indication of your own screenwriting.

Also I mentioned USA copyright before you did. You missed that. When I suggested the Library of Congress.

Which officiates over copyright in tbe USA.

As for your being confused... well, I'm confused as to why someone with no script pages to post here could be helpful to the OP.

Well what you sense and what actually "is" has no definitive link. :) as for the rest of it you weren't bang on and deflection doesn't provide us with an indication of your own screenwriting. [/q

Also I mentioned USA copyright before you did. You missed that. When I suggested the Library of Congress.

Which officiates over copyright in tbe USA.

As for your being confused... well, I'm confused as to why someone with no script pages to post here could be helpful to the OP.

I'm fully aware that the Library of Congress officiates over copyright. I never said you didn't mention it only that they provide better protection than WGA. But I still maintain if the OP is selling their script in Ireland there's no need to go through registration to protect their script.

But somehow while I was trying to answer the questions and help the OP you've turned the thread into some juvenile game of "I'm better than you." You also seem to think wotsername is somehow involved in this thread which is a bit odd.

I'm not confused at all, never said I was. The fact that you think I am just goes to show your reading comprehension isn't the best. Which makes me think your scripts are probably brilliant. I'd love to read them. :)

No, it goes to show that again, you are avoiding and deflecting. That's okay since if the OP has written scripts of their own they'll easily see that whatever your reason for posting here is, until you cease avoiding providing any indication that you write fiction, you cannot be of any help or assistance. Thus the OP can draw their own conclusions until you post a page of your own work and cease attempting deflection

Do you have pages of fiction in the format of screenplays you can post here, yes or no?

If the answer is no then sad professor has to issue you a warning, I believe.

No, it goes to show that again, you are avoiding and deflecting.

Avoiding what?

What are you jabbering on about?
    until you cease avoiding providing any indication that you write fiction, you cannot be of any help or assistance.

Where is it written that someone has to be a writer to advise a writer on matters such as copyright protection? By your logic a producer who works on films constantly but doesn't write themselves would be in no position to offer advice here.

That's quite clearly nonsense.

Do you have pages of fiction in the format of screenplays you can post here, yes or no?

If the answer is no then sad professor has to issue you a warning, I believe.

I have many pages of screenplays that I could post. Yes.

Thanks for asking.

:)

Although why on earth I would receive a warning if the answer was no is beyond me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread has been dragged way off course. Ring4Fea, AnonoBoy is under no obligation to provide you proof of his screenplays.

Apologies to the OP, but I think the answer to your question was answered in the first reply :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement