Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New fleet announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

What's peoples problem with the Connects? Can be driven on chiefs. Fit prisoners in. They shouldn't be a full replacement to a full size van but are a grand addition.

Brutal handling, no grip in wet, traction control goes mental if your on a slight incline and try get any speed. Sure, you can fit prisoners in easily, as long as they are 4ft unconscious girl guides.

If you want a van, get a real van. If you want something smaller, get a car. These are brutal hybrids and not fit as a main patrol vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

POGAN wrote: »
    New public order unit transport in DMR

From facebook

They were the vans that were suppose to be mobile police stations

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

They were the vans that were suppose to be mobile police stations

No way ?? That's gas , did that idea just go out the window ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

3fullback wrote: »

it was scrapped but the vans were already purchased so after they scrapped it they gave it public order.
    The vans are enormous there not far off the Mercedes mobile command centre a couple of feet smaller though

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-in-firing-line-after-plan-for-mobile-garda-units-scrapped-29596531.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

they must have realised how laughable the idea was.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Perhaps the new vans have perspex windscreens? :D

You've obv never been in one ! There a tin can with wheels !

bravestar wrote: »
    Brutal handling, no grip in wet, traction control goes mental if your on a slight incline and try get any speed. Sure, you can fit prisoners in easily, as long as they are 4ft unconscious girl guides.

If you want a van, get a real van. If you want something smaller, get a car. These are brutal hybrids and not fit as a main patrol vehicle.

But they are not main patrol cars. People need to stop looking at every vehicle we get being a main patrol car. The allocations are wrong in some places but Connects, Transits, Fiestas, Land Cruisers/Santa Fe's are not main response vehicles. They have a support purpose.
    D Trent wrote: »

Your point?

But they are not main patrol cars. People need to stop looking at every vehicle we get being a main patrol car. The allocations are wrong in some places but Connects, Transits, Fiestas, Land Cruisers/Santa Fe's are not main response vehicles. They have a support purpose.

Your point?

You know as well as I do that they have been used by the regular as main cars so that argument ain't gonna hold water. I've never seen a transit etc as a main car but connects... Yep!

You know as well as I do that they have been used by the regular as main cars so that argument ain't gonna hold water. I've never seen a transit etc as a main car but connects... Yep!

I'm not saying it hasn't happened but it shouldn't. People need to write on it and complain.

And the problem lies with the management of the fleet allocation. I know of a compol unit with a 1.8 focus and a warrants unit with an avensis. That's completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

donvito99 wrote: »
    Perhaps the new vans have perspex windscreens? :D

Yes they do

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it hasn't happened but it shouldn't. People need to write on it and complain.

And the problem lies with the management of the fleet allocation. I know of a compol unit with a 1.8 focus and a warrants unit with an avensis. That's completely wrong.

That's the save mileage on the avenais as warrants less mileage than compol too

That's the save mileage on the avenais as warrants less mileage than compol too

But why do warrants need a 2l car? They'd be grand with a fiesta.

foreign wrote: »
    But why do warrants need a 2l car? They'd be grand with a fiesta.

they dont need them but you know the thinking new car longer on the road because the public will see more 11 regs than 06/07 around, longer on the street they are more reports will say newer cars on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

Wouldn't the connects be perfect for the warrants unit. It'd be a grand little run about and has the cage in the back for lodging prisoners

voter1983 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the connects be perfect for the warrants unit. It'd be a grand little run about and has the cage in the back for lodging prisoners

They don't work all day and don't only do prisoner warrants. They collect money too. Better to have the cell vehicle on the regular.

they dont need them but you know the thinking new car longer on the road because the public will see more 11 regs than 06/07 around, longer on the street they are more reports will say newer cars on the road

I don't really care what the public think about what the reg is on the car I'm in. It should be the correct vehicle for the job I'm doing. Kevin Street tried that and lost their one to a country station with high milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

You've obv never been in one ! There a tin can with wheels !
    D Trent wrote: »

A tin can with wheels ! Look what happens when you hit them with a chair :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Horses for courses and all that, but why bother considering the scum in the back?

kub wrote: »
    Horses for courses and all that, but why bother considering the scum in the back?

I'm not. My point is, if you have some 6ft lad going ballistic, it is easier to put them in a larger opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Did the Gardaí not test out the Connect before taking on a lot of them.

Would think the best way of testing vehicles is to take one example of each potential purchase - and send it out to the Gardaí who would use the vehicles and the gardai could test out the vehicle doing the normal day to day work.

Maybe that's how they normally test vehicles - I don't know.

But its the best way imo - take an example out on test - and put it to the test over say 6 months - getting a feel for its performance under real operating conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

jamesr123 wrote: »
    they must have realised how laughable the idea was.......

Was no more laughable than keeping a rural station for a gard to visit 2 hours a week(if he/she's free),with no computer/Internet access...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Old diesel wrote: »
    Did the Gardaí not test out the Connect before taking on a lot of them.

Vehicles are tested, but purchasing them comes down to the cheapest tender. When the Toyota's were purchased, they were one of 4 brands tested, and were ranked least preferable. But they provided the cheapest tender.......

infacteh wrote: »
    Vehicles are tested, but purchasing them comes down to the cheapest tender. When the Toyota's were purchased, they were one of 4 brands tested, and were ranked least preferable. But they provided the cheapest tender.......

Yes but going on the comments here - it seems the Connect was unsuitable for the task at hand.

Id also argue that the Toyotas bought previously were unsuited for traffic corps - so fine go for cheapest tender if they please - but it should be the cheapest suitable vehicle capable of the job been asked of it.

So we shouldn't see an Avensis been used on traffic when its not suitable - or indeed we shouldn't see an i40 on traffic caus its not powerful enough.

The way around this is to have clear specs on the tender for vehicles bought for specific duties like traffic corps or RSU.

Maybe even have separate tenders for each :)

Yes but going on the comments here - it seems the Connect was unsuitable for the task at hand.

Id also argue that the Toyotas bought previously were unsuited for traffic corps - so fine go for cheapest tender if they please - but it should be the cheapest suitable vehicle capable of the job been asked of it.

So we shouldn't see an Avensis been used on traffic when its not suitable - or indeed we shouldn't see an i40 on traffic caus its not powerful enough.

The way around this is to have clear specs on the tender for vehicles bought for specific duties like traffic corps or RSU.

Can't see police spec cars bought to replace xc70

Can't see police spec cars bought to replace xc70

Police spec would be ideal for the job - whether RSU or any other job - however - whats more important is the actual cars suitability for the job its put to.

I'm not. My point is, if you have some 6ft lad going ballistic, it is easier to put them in a larger opening.

Just as hard to put somebody into the back of a full size transit if they are kicking off.

The tenders usually specify a size of vehicle and equipment to come with it (like full size spare rather than blues, etc). Up to the driving school to test the vehicles then. Before the Avensis' were bought there was a Mondeo saloon and estate, a Focus estate and an Insignia tested on the road. Never saw the test Avensis. The other three are on the road around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well you can see the advantage of lower cost. Imagine telling a district with no car to take solace in the fact the next district has a you beut BMW.

Zambia wrote: »
    Well you can see the advantage of lower cost. Imagine telling a district with no car to take solace in the fact the next district has a you beut BMW.

But imagine having to try and keep up with a high performance car and no helicopter available - in a 1.7 diesel i40 with 12.6 seconds 0 to 60.

Don't need a whole fleet of high performance cars - but it would be good to have some

But imagine having to try and keep up with a high performance car and no helicopter available - in a 1.7 diesel i40 with 12.6 seconds 0 to 60.

Don't need a whole fleet of high performance cars - but it would be good to have some

Agreed like the RSU xc70/x5 fleet once there advanced car available in the division would be good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

Is there any sign of these new cars arriving yet?

Advertisement