Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some French woman has a problem with The Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

The Irish, French, Germans or Americans aren't 'loved' OR 'hated' in any specific region. It depends who you talk to. Though most people don't wake up each morning thinking, "Man, I really hate country X". These outbursts just sort of...happen. She probably gets along fine with Irish people, but felt, when she saw some other letter in the paper, that she had get some things off her chest. I've seen this happen to MANY countries - this is OUR version. We're a small island though, so we'd probably feel more singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Save me... Send me spuds, buttermilk, porter and whiskey. Oh, and a sod of turf. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hagar wrote: »
    I think it's really ironic that people are using generalizations about the French to try and debunk generalizations about the Irish.
    I think you will find that a lot of those generalizations about the irish are true and some will admit to it .Like my own expierence ( as an irishman) is that to some irish people ,the 'cead mile falite' is just a word that they will gladly bandy about same as ' we irish are very friendly ' etc .But when it comes to actually being friendly are anything but ,not just to their own and specialy to forigeners .Those same irish people when abroad will expect everybody and anybody to love them simply cuz they are irish .That is not to take away from the many many good irish people who are genuinly hospitiable and friendly ,both at home in ireland and abroad .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I went to school with a French guy. He told us that he was the son of a count. After a while of putting up with his tantrums, we assumed that he was also a count, but wondered whether it was possible to have a pair of counts in the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Relax lads shes just pissed loads a people hate France (americans and british) when everyone loves us Irish wha?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?
    Dennis Miller

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

We Irish do have a very, "Ah, sure the world loves us" cavalier attitude. She's not wrong there.

Thats the crux of her letter and while her back-up and justification for why we're hated may seem a little... crazy, her initial premise is quite spot on.

We need to get over ourselves or risk turning into the yanks :o
    Nationality is an accidental consequence of child-birth, get over it.

We irish were never very good at navel gazing anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sounds like she was on the rag tbh. Who gives a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

TBH, i hate most of the irish too. bunch of d1cks we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oh no! Whatever shall we do?? Oh yea I know, remember we're Irish and if the Lisbon vote thought us nothing it showed us the opinions of the french doesn't matter.

That made me laugh out loud :D:D

zuroph wrote: »
    TBH, i hate most of the irish too. bunch of d1cks we are.

Dicks are very handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Having spent this year in the company of many a Québecois, i must say that i liked very few of them. In fact, i found them all to be very rude, i'd go far as to say they were a bunch of dick heads.

I can't even begin to believe what real French people are like:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A lot of the French don't like the Quebecois, I think its a bit like the Brits and the Unionists. Bloody wannabes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

She's right to some extent although she is probably mildly insane. We Irish have a major inferiority complex and that is why we have traditionally been so friendly towards foreigners - white foreigners- I must point out. We can't wait to suck up to them and show them how friendly and hospitable we are. We have no such complex about other races, however, and we have no difficulty in looking down our noses at them. If we weren't living in such politically correct times the amount of hostility that we harbour towards other races would be even more evident and open but as such it must remain somewhat hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ivan wrote: »
    We Irish do have a very, "Ah, sure the world loves us" cavalier attitude. She's not wrong there.

That's what she interprets....what it actually is is a "we don't give a **** what you think of us" attitude, but feel free to tell us anyway...it's not like it's going to have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I love the smell of generalisation in the morning.

Anyone else thinking that her husband has been shagging all of her mates behind her back?

anti-venom wrote: »
    She's right to some extent although she is probably mildly insane. We Irish have a major inferiority complex and that is why we have traditionally been so friendly towards foreigners - white foreigners- I must point out. We can't wait to suck up to them and show them how friendly and hospitable we are. We have no such complex about other races, however, and we have no difficulty in looking down our noses at them. If we weren't living in such politically correct times the amount of hostility that we harbour towards other races would be even more evident and open but as such it must remain somewhat hidden.

I think that is why the Irish are so charitable in sending money to the third world. I also think that some of these generous folks think that if they send enough, it will stop any of 'em coming here. Unfortunately for the malevolently generous few, they didn't expect a lot of them to come here to thank them personally. :P

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Funnily enough a Spanish girl I used to go out with said pretty much all that to me.

Spanish, Italian and French girls in the majority of cases dislike Irish males. Thats not to say they won't go for Irish males merely that for an eager Irish man they're harder to pull.

On the brightside English and American girls can't seem to get enough of us!

• Advertisement

Actually read the letter this morning in the Indo. What crawled up her growler...? Shocked that her husband was Irish too...

i guess the problem is the usual way of chatting up an irish girl is not the same way as the usual way of chatting up a french/spanish girl, and most irish males fail to realise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Daddio wrote: »

Anyone else thinking that her husband has been shagging all of her mates behind her back?

That was my first impression also, the letter seems very bitter and personal...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If a new OP had posted the sentiments of this letter in After Hours, they would've been banned for trolling. The woman who did write it has rightly received the derision she deserves. The level to which she has gone over the top in her arguments is shocking, bordering closely on idiocy. The editor of the Indo was obviously stoking controversy to get the paper more attention, there's no other good reason for publishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i agree some of her points tbh :D

but the thing i learnt is say/think whatever you want,irish wont change abit no matter what happens.drink,talk ****,drink,talk ****,drink!!
    zuroph wrote: »
    i guess the problem is the usual way of chatting up an irish girl is not the same way as the usual way of chatting up a french/spanish girl, and most irish males fail to realise this.

lol i just realise that recently,so true!

My opinion of the indo keeps going further and further down, each time i think it cant get much worse, it amazes me. getting close to tabloid levels now.
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    lol i just realise that recently,so true!
    and when u do learn the secret to it, its great!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A racist skank with the literacy of a ten-year-old. The Sunday Indo is worse for printing this hate-filled crap.

Hey, they publish Brendan O'Connors illiterate rants every week..........and this French woman's reply was just (an equally obnoxious) as his editorial comment the week before.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A newspaper troll would be the best way to describe her alright. You can choose to focus on all the negative aspects of anything or anywhere and have a rant.

- Also, regarding Ireland being welcoming and open I don't agree with the poster who said that we are only welcoming to white people!

I have spoken to quite a few people from Africa, Eastern Europe and Asia and while you do get the odd racisit idiot in Ireland the general attitude that they've found is one that's pretty welcoming and open. One guy in particular found the attitudes in Ireland vastly more open and welcoming than Germany and parts of Scandinavia where he had lived before.

My experiences of racism in France were pretty terrifying. A friend of ours was from North Africa and he would be refused entry from bars, clubs etc. The police would just randomly stop him on the street up to 4 times a night, throw him against the nearest wall and search him, demand ID etc.
    It was totally ridiculous and grossly unfair and racist.

I know you get the odd yob in Ireland, but to be fair, the majority of us aren't racist and racisim is generally unacceptable to most of us. I found in France that a blind eye was being turned to this kind of behaviour. At least in Ireland people are generally disgusted by it.

In general people make an effort to be welcoming and understanding, often in a Mrs Doyle trying not to put her foot in it kind of way, but even so it's a hell of a lot better than the attitudes that pervade in places like France, Germany and Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭peekyboo

Seriously, who cares what this woman thinks?? And who says that she actually has an Irish husband or even a husband at all - because she wrote it? Sounds like to me she is just saying she has one so people will take her seriously and give her more credit (?) for thinking that about Irish people while having a husband from here. Either that or she hates his guts and that's why she wrote that letter.

Personally, I have had nothing but positive experiences travelling around the world and being Irish. I would say people do love us and I've yet to experience anything different!

She actually reminds me of a Polish ex-colleague of mine who is in her 50s. She hates married people, children, English people (we live in England) and the rants I've heard about black people are unbelieveable and disgusting. She is so bitter because she is childless and lonely and sounds like this woman is the same.

Good luck to her I say - she sounds like one sad mudderfugger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

She sounds jealous, sure everyone loves us and hates them :pac:

I am wondering where this shoulder chip thing came about too, then she goes on to mention she can smell the crap from our fancy (Dior) boots?

Advertisement