Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who started it?

• 08-07-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

When i think of all the petty squabbles ive had with people over the years to the point of forgetting who made who mad in the first place, i am drawn to an interesting question...

The north and all that - who started it? I can recall as far back as the Ulster Plantations and (i guess) irish landlords selling land to the British. Was there anything prior?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Greeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Was there anything prior?[/QUOTE]

Don't think there's anyone old enough here to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Then there's the Dal Riada, who I think invaded Scotland replacing Pictish with Gaelic (the Romans calleed irish people Scotti and there was an old irish Goddess called Scotta), either way hilarity will prevail in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Brummytoms crew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Well the North have been fighting for their right to marry their cousins I believe and I believe we were against it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know who the fúck it was but I'm blaming it on those stupid vuvuzelas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I blame the Vikings for the kip that is Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

I woulda thought the norman invasion in 1169 was pretty much the start of it! Long time before the plantations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Smcgie wrote: »
    Brummytoms crew!

Virgins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Virgins?

Send in The Whores !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,119 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know who the fúck it was but I'm blaming it on those stupid vuvuzelas.

They're completely Caracas those Vuvuzelans.

Well the North have been fighting for their right to marry their cousins I believe and I believe we were against it!

Was that before or after they stole the lemon tree?

I woulda thought the norman invasion in 1169 was pretty much the start of it! Long time before the plantations!

Isn't the whole Norman thing messy (they're basically recycled Vikings), Alot of infighting between Irish Kings? And English Kings infighting which got the Normans there in the first place.

Smart move by the French, getting everybody to blame the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Who started it in Northern Ireland? Who gives a f*cuk?

We've enough problems down here, without any of this United Ireland malarky.

Float that septic province off into the North Atlantic and give us all a bit of peace.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Smart move by the French, getting everybody to blame the English.

They were Vikings who forced the French to give them land.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

we didn't start the fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

You actually want to approach the topic of the ongoing conflict in northern ireland in a serious manner, in AH?.

This thread will end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Then there's the Dal Riada, who I think invaded Scotland replacing Pictish with Gaelic

Am, no. The Dal Riada was a a Scottish and Western Scottish Gaelic speaking group. The picts merged and spoke Gaelic for cultural reasons.

What started the problems in the North was British Colonialism. I know, I know we should be blaiming us, or saying - era, there;s two of them in it - or making references to the mythical fir bolg.

But, What started the problems in the North was British Colonialism.

Edit:

Oh, crap. Am I in AH?

Sorry what started it was Mary Harny and your ma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I blame the Vikings for the kip that is Dublin.

Can't afford a house here?

• Advertisement

Pittens wrote: »
    Am, no. The Dal Riada was a a Scottish and Western Scottish Gaelic speaking group. The picts merged and spoke Gaelic for cultural reasons.

What started the problems in the North was British Colonialism. I know, I know we should be blaiming us, or saying - era, there;s two of them in it - or making references to the mythical fir bolg.

But, What started the problems in the North was British Colonialism.

Edit:

Oh, crap. Am I in AH?

Sorry what started it was Mary Harny and your ma.

Was there not some initial movement from Ulster? Not trying to tie it in with the troubles but just showing how there was alot of back and forth movement and interaction back in the day.

fontanalis wrote: »
    They were Vikings who forced the French to give them land.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

Smart move by the Vikings to pretend that they were French, then get everybody to blame the English.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Glancing through a book on British and Irish history, it seems that the first violence between Britain and Ireland was a series of raids from Ireland by the Scotti tribe, in the 3rd Century AD, attacks made upon Roman Britain.

Then there was Vikings, Normans and I think the first specific colonisation of the North, segregating it from the rest of the island, would have been the plantations. So the first violence was Irish, then toing and froing, then English plantations.

It's everyone's fault really.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Smart move by the Vikings to pretend that they were French, then get everybody to blame the English.:eek:

Apparently Vikki the Viking was the worst of the lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Isn't the whole Norman thing messy (they're basically recycled Vikings), Alot of infighting between Irish Kings? And English Kings infighting which got the Normans there in the first place.

The Normans were invited in by an Irish King/Chief that wanted to pay'em off as mercenaries... Cant remember the guys name off hand now... think it was McDermot... was from Wexford anyway...

Normans walked across the country and thought... fúck McDermot...

So really the first time Ireland was invaded was by the French...

Vikings... they were just pillagers that settled in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

She was the one who introduced the Orange tan which was to cause so much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ja, but nei, but ja, but nei, but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Those pesky horny Vikings.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Can't afford a house here?

lol ......sure, you selling to get out of the dump?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

I'd say it was ur mudder... she poked me in the eye with her cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Who started it?

THEY did.

(Now read the sig down there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Who started it? The birds and the bees of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And does anyone know why the Vikings invaded Ireland?

Because zey hurd aboot dee Harp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I thought some woman called O'Brien was giving them funny looks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    I thought some woman called O'Brien was giving them funny looks.....

Now she WAS in fact English, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement