Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dáil votes to adjourn for 12-week recess

• 08-07-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Apparently some people are annoyed about this.Thats the thanks our politicians get ,for working their fingers to the bone,on our behalf.:rolleyes:
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen has said it is 'a nonsense' for the Opposition to suggest that the Government is on holidays during the Dáil recess.

Whats the difference between a Recess and a Holiday?
    Mr Cowen said all Oireachtas committees would be continuing their work and he said the budgetary process would also be under way during the summer break.

See they do care!..........its a working holiday recess.They are probably working in the bunker ,on secret plans to kick start the economy and get the country on its feet.

If the Government is on Holidays,are'nt the opposition on holidays too?.

Poll on the way

How long should the Dail summer Holidays...Eh Recess be? 79 votes

Same a it is now
    0% 0 votes
    5-8 weeks
    3% 3 votes
    3-4 weeks
    3% 3 votes
    2 weeks or less
    35% 28 votes
    No summer recess
    36% 29 votes
    They should play Atari Jaguar all summer.
    20% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Someone just drop a scud buster on Leinster house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Sure they do nothing when they are there so an added break will not change anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They are not on holidays.
    Your local TD will be available to meet you in any local town next week, they probably hold meetings especially for constituents all over the area.

If you want them to attend some local meeting they will show up.
    If you need them for a protest march like a local hospital they will be there for sure.

If your local TD or mine was to disappear out of the country for the next 12 weeks and ignore the people who voted for them they will lose votes.
    We voted for them to represent our area so they better be around.

Now you'll say they are there to legislate but if the Dail is in recess then they work for the people who put them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Minister Brian Lenihan is the only one that deserves a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I've always though the bastards should get the same holidays as the rest of us. 21 - 22 days a year. That's plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...if the Dail is in recess then they work for the people who put them there.
    Jeasus - I wish some of them would stop working in that case!

I could list some of their crap but it would be too long for here so its here instead: http://unitedpeople.ie/fail.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

They are not on holidays.
    Your local TD will be available to meet you in any local town next week, they probably hold meetings especially for constituents all over the area.

If you need them for a protest march like a local hospital they will be there for sure.

If your local TD or mine was to disappear out of the country for the next 12 weeks and ignore the people who voted for them they will lose votes.
    We voted for them to represent our area so they better be around.

Now you'll say they are there to legislate but if the Dail is in recess then they work for the people who put them there.

Given the current state of the country IMO they should reduce it significantly this year ,say to 6 weeks,and get on with the job of fixing our economy etc.There after reduce it permanently to 8 or less weeks.This would give them plenty of time to see the locals and still take 2 weeks hols.I am sure their local constituents would understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only break those useless feckers deserve is at the neck.

Biggins wrote: »
    Jeasus - I wish some of them would stop working in that case!

They all work for you, your constituency put them there.

Not just the parties listed on that website which is full of criticism but policies (if any) hidden away from the public...

Any local TD can meet you and no matter what the issue they will at least listen to you.
    Any maybe they can do nothing but you know who they work for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...you know who they work for.
    I know whom they were elected to work for.
    But as to what they can gain themselves from the position and then hold on to it by any means necessary - is another thing altogether!

• Advertisement

Given the current state of the country IMO they should reduce it significantly this year ,say to 6 weeks,and get on with the job of fixing our economy etc.There after reduce it permanently to 8 or less weeks.This would give them plenty of time to see the locals and still take 2 weeks hols.I am sure their local constituents would understand.

Sounds good, I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

.....after which they will go back up to the Dail and vote the opposite way.

I also didn't hear of any of them calling around to get the public's opinion on NAMA, or Anglo bailouts, or golden handshakes, or "expenses" for scheisters, etc.

So yes, they'll make it look like they're listening as usual, but they'll still do what suits their party rather than the country or their constituents.

The only 100% noble and honest exception I can think of at the moment is Shane Ross, and he's not even a TD.
    Any maybe they can will do nothing but because you know who they work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

if the Dail is in recess then they work for the people who put them there.
    Its much better than that.

When the Dail is in recess, they're not doing any more damage to our economy, standard of living or civil liberties.

OP, can you add a '52 weeks' option to the poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Gurgle wrote: »
    Its much better than that.

When the Dail is in recess, they're not doing any more damage to our economy, standard of living or civil liberties.

OP, can you add a '52 weeks' option to the poll?

Fair enough on the first two points, but how exactly is this government restricting our civil liberties? Surely the passage of the Civil Partnership bill has actually expaned them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, I sometimes wonder if putting the whole bloody lot of them under house arrest wouldn't improve the country ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dermot Ahern's blasphemy law would be one way that they're reducing our civil liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

"We utterly oppose this recession,and I say to you again"..........................

wahey!!!!!!!!!.......(fúcking hell..)....wahey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

................"sorry, this recess"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Twelve weeks?!? Schoolkids only get eight weeks! This is a farce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sure they're a grand bunch of lads :rolleyes:

Maybe they should devote their doss time recess to drumming up support for the next general election - where peole can once again vote Fianna Fail. Sure this time their leader isnt even involved in a corruption Tribunal - how can they possibly fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its 12 weeks for a reason. Next week the serious allegations will come out and then people will have forgotten about them by the time the dail resumes.

Advertisement