Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Gately sculpture to be erected at train station

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

rovert wrote: »
    Rip down the Phil Lynott statue then using that logic.

Actually that statue SHOULD be ripped down. It's a crock. Does the man no justice at all. Who is responsible for it? Those cretins in Hot Press?

Look - Lynott practically invented the rock pose. He all remember the front cover of Live and Dangerous and how he posed with the bass at every opportunity.

http://www.coverportal.com/Audio/GrafikAudio/thin_lizzy_-_live_and_dangerous_a.jpg

And this is what they came up with?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryancordell/2186320119/

It makes him look like an old age pensioner or a character out of Ulysses.

If you want to see a real tribute to the man, check out the massive mural of him in the alleyway beside the bank of Ireland on Camden street. Now THAT is a tribute.

Back on topic, there should be no statue of Gately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

humanji wrote: »
    What are the homophobic arguments?

Read the beginning of the thread and the he is "only getting it because he is gay" stuff.

guybague wrote: »
    Back on topic, there should be no statue of Gately.

Quite the discussion starter this is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Oh for god's sake some people really have little to complain about. if the people in Sheriff's Street and the members of Boyzone wish to erect a statue in memory of Steven who are we to judge them?

His sexuality has nothing to do with anything and I really think people need to grow up and give the stupid gay jokes and innuendo a rest because it really doesn't contribute to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Read the beginning of the thread and the he is "only getting it because he is gay" stuff.
    That's not homophobic. That's making a fairly true statement. He was an icon for some young homosexuals. That's a hell of a better reason for him to have a statue than being in a boyband.

That's not homophobic. That's making a fairly true statement. He was an icon for some young homosexuals. That's a hell of a better reason for him to have a statue than being in a boyband.

A lot of posters here didnt express it in that context.

A lot of posters here didnt express it in that context.
    A lot of people made gay jokes. But they aren't arguments against it. They're just standard AH posts.

A lot of people made gay jokes. But they aren't arguments against it. They're just standard AH posts.

Right dude, read the thread.

Right dude, read the thread.
    Maybe you should. And take off those anti-rose tinted glasses that make you complain about everybody elses opinions?

• Advertisement

Maybe you should. And take off those anti-rose tinted glasses that make you complain about everybody elses opinions?

It is quite that I have read the topic, seriously read the posts Oscar Wilde for example.

You labelled most the arguements as stupid and homophobic. Do you not see that you've made a gross generalisation of the people on this thread?

You labelled most the arguements as stupid and homophobic. Do you not see that you've made a gross generalisation of the people on this thread?

Generally they are either one of those things. Again read the thread.

What does this have to do with the topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No statue for Tony Gregory then?
    A man who did a lot for the area then Stephen Gately

Or even Jim Sheridan, currently the most famous living person from the area, Seville Place.
    When he dies I'm sure he will get a statue too and more deserving then the topic of this thread

No statue for Tony Gregory then?
    A man who did a lot for the area then Stephen Gately

Or even Jim Sheridan, currently the most famous living person from the area, Seville Place.
    When he dies I'm sure he will get a statue too and more deserving then the topic of this thread

No one is disputing any of this.

Right, perfect example, because you brought it up:
    TBH it's sad we are building statues for him based on his sexuality. Look at Oscar Wilde, fantastic writer and poet, his sexuality will never be questioned upon as to why a statue of him was built. Stephen Gately, average singer made it famous in a failed boyband, I just don't agree with it at all. In fact I think it's a disgrace.

He got statue because he was gay. What a load of shíte.

Do you claim that's homophobic? Because they complained that in their opinion the statue isn't being built because of his achievements, but because he happened to be gay and as such that user believed he didn't warrant a statue. That's not homophobic. It would be the same argument if Gately got a statue for wearing green jumpers. The user doesn't believe it's a valid reason for celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In fairness it's going in down the docklands. It'll be fúcking decapitated within a month anyway, so it's not as if it matters.

Right, perfect example, because you brought it up:

Do you claim that's homophobic? Because they complained that in their opinion the statue isn't being built because of his achievements, but because he happened to be gay and as such that user believed he didn't warrant a statue. That's not homophobic. It would be the same argument if Gately got a statue for wearing green jumpers. The user doesn't believe it's a valid reason for celebration.

What are you ****eing on about that is clearly homophobic.

I guess you missed me asking him did he read any of Wilde's work, he declined answering. Hence this falls under the stupid and homophobic category.

What are you ****eing on about that is clearly homophobic.

I guess you missed me asking him did he read any of Wilde's work, he declined answering. Hence this falls under the stupid and homophobic category.
    No, that's you making an assumption about another user then insulting them. That's all it is. Nothing more.

No, that's you making an assumption about another user then insulting them. That's all it is. Nothing more.

I didnt make the assumption I asked him a question he refused to answer. Likewise all the people who claimed Gately was untalented without any kind of reason.

Again I dont see what this has to do with the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I bet rovert win's. He fights the war of the flea.

• Advertisement

I bet rovert win's. He fights the war of the flea.

Not Ill admit defeat clearly you can make an assessment on someones body of work with reading any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Rip down the Phil Lynott statue then using that logic.

phil lynott will be cited by many successful musicians as an influence on their music. i have never once in my life heard any musician say that stephen gately's squeaky backgrond harmonies offered any inspiration to them.

I didnt make the assumption I asked him a question he refused to answer. Likewise all the people who claimed Gately was untalented without any kind of reason.

Again I dont see what this has to do with the topic.
    Because it's about reasons against having a statue. And not answering a question doesn't mean you're homophobic.If I asked you for your bank account details and you didn't give them to me, does that mean you're homophobic?

genericguy wrote: »
    phil lynott will be cited by many successful musicians as an influence on their music. i have never once in my life heard any musician say that stephen gately's squeaky backgrond harmonies offered any inspiration to them.

Well done taking my post out of context. Take a look at what I was replying and come back to me.
    Because it's about reasons against having a statue. And not answering a question doesn't mean you're homophobic.If I asked you for your bank account details and you didn't give them to me, does that mean you're homophobic?

Congrats at posting jibberish. I never said him not answering the question made him homophobic.

Congrats at posting jibberish. I never said him not answering the question made him homophobic.
    Rovert wrote:

So you're juscalling him stupid then? Resorting to personal abuse isn't big or clever.

So you're juscalling him stupid then? Resorting to personal abuse isn't big or clever.

I said his post was stupid.

Again what does this have to do with the topic we are discussing?

What are you trying and failing to prove here? Get to the point please.

I said his post was stupid.

Again what does this have to do with the topic we are discussing?

What are you trying and failing to prove here? Get to the point please.
    You've insulted a large amount of people on this thread. You've called them stupid and homophobic. All, it seems, because you disagree with them. That's what it has to do with the topic. You're desperately trying to discredit peoples opinions on the subject by attacking the poster and not the post.

If you disagree with someone, then why not actually discuss the piont without resorting to condescension, sarcasm or insults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not Ill admit defeat clearly you can make an assessment on someones body of work with reading any of it.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

You've insulted a large amount of people on this thread. You've called them stupid and homophobic. All, it seems, because you disagree with them. That's what it has to do with the topic. You're desperately trying to discredit peoples opinions on the subject by attacking the poster and not the post.

If you disagree with someone, then why not actually discuss the piont without resorting to condescension, sarcasm or insults?

I insulted their posts. Very few points against him having a statue were valid as most ignored who does and doesn’t have a statue and why, ignores the "faults"/circumstances of death in other people who have a statue, had any display of creditability when it came to questioning his talent, often homophobic or had a sprinkle of good old fashioned begrudgery.

There is little desperation in my posts in fairness as most of the claims by others were very, very easily shot down. Id prefer this topic to be about the topic and not about me.
    mikom wrote: »

Wut?

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

can said sauce also be applied to the troll?

• Advertisement

I don't think there is an orange sauce sweet enough........

Attack the post not the poster.

How am I trolling? Anything I’ve said is backed up by fact I’ve never made any stretches in my arguments. They all been grounded. Im sorry if Ive rained on your parade by being so.

Again what does this have to do with the topic.

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

Yep, when I post sh1te I often call it sarcasm as well.
    It's like a ironic safety net.......... feels comfy.

Well done taking my post out of context. Take a look at what I was replying and come back to me.

i took a look at your post again - that post, as with every single one of yours on this thread, says nothing.

i have a feeling that if i posted a thread called 'the sky is blue' you would be the first person to tell me it was yellow.

Attack the post not the poster.

pot....kettle...

Guys can we draw a line in the sand on this? Again this topic isnt about me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

In years to come people will walk past that statue and say "Stephen Gately who the hell was he?"

why, because you're losing?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    In years to come people will walk past that statue and say "Stephen Gately who the hell was he?"

and why did he have "BOLLOX" and FCUK THE GARDA" written on his shirt?

• Advertisement

Again if that happens it won’t be a phenomenon exclusive to him. That is why there is usually an explanatory plaque at the bottom of most statues.

Is that sand quicksand, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think that right now. Show's how unimportant he was.
    and why did he have "BOLLOX" and FCUK THE GARDA" written on his shirt?

:pac:

Would it not be a better idea to make some sort of celebration of Irish arts in their entirety somewhere in Ireland? Like the Museum of Rock they have in the States, but with all facits of Irish entertainment. Would there not be a huge market for something like that? Even if it was something on a bit of a smaller scale, like say if they'd put statues of various musicians and literary figures in somewhere central, even along the likes of O'Connell St in Dublin, for example.

I mean, as people have said, Luke Kelly has had a huge effect on Irish music and culture but gets no statue, so would it not please everyone to celebrate them all? Granted, the money would be an issue, but theroetically, is it not an idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

I mean, as people have said, Luke Kelly has had a huge effect on Irish music and culture but gets no statue, so would it not please everyone to celebrate them all? Granted, the money would be an issue, but theroetically, is it not an idea?

Thats the problem, it seems, if you have money then you get it. Phil Lynott's was funded over 20 years. Gatelys will be funded by Boyzone. Luke Kelly's family/friends must not hold the same kind of wealth as the Boyzone lads so his only chance would be to get one from the Government (and rightly so). Wasn't this supposed to happen, but got stopped because the public funds dried up or something like that?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I think that right now. Show's how unimportant he was.

:pac:

To you
    Is that sand quicksand, by any chance?

Again please stop I did ask but you choose continue on.
    Would it not be a better idea to make some sort of celebration of Irish arts in their entirety somewhere in Ireland? Like the Museum of Rock they have in the States, but with all facits of Irish entertainment. Would there not be a huge market for something like that? Even if it was something on a bit of a smaller scale, like say if they'd put statues of various musicians and literary figures in somewhere central, even along the likes of O'Connell St in Dublin, for example.

Various attempts have been made but yep it is the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

he does have a bridge named after him though which is damn cool :cool:

the idea of a statue to gately is fcuking cringeworthy, i dont know which is worse this or the fact that he was shortlisted for irelands greatest person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

To you

That's what i'm wondering though, really how important was he? (I'm asking with regard to the greater Irish public, not fans because it's evident that they feel he's of great importance.) Was he of vital importance to Joe Soap on the street?

purpur1 wrote: »
    Was he of vital importance to Joe Soap on the street?

Way to formulate a leading question.

Was Phil Lynott of vital importance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

A sculpture is a bit OTT & crude IMO. A plaque on a bench or wall would suffice for the calibre of the late entertainer involved.

I think that if the remaining Boyzone members want Stephen's name to live on they should set up some sort of annual scholarship/bursary for budding young musicians from the Sherriff Street area, so as they might have the chance of making it in the music/performing arts industry, just as Stephen Gately did.

jeckle wrote: »
    A sculpture is a bit OTT & crude IMO. A plaque on a bench or wall would suffice for the calibre of the late entertainer involved.

I think that if the remaining Boyzone members want Stephen's name to live on they should set up some sort of annual scholarship/bursary for budding young musicians from the Sherriff Street area, so as they might have the chance of making it in the music/performing arts industry, just as Stephen Gately did.

I do think it does come of as self aggrandizing but on a local level he certainly disserves some sort of memorial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement