Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Gately sculpture to be erected at train station

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Diceman had talent.

Loving all these talent evalutators on here. Quite the in depth review you made here.
    Einhard wrote: »
    Congrats rovert. Rarely am I rendered speechless by the idiocy of a remark, but you've succeeded.

Why else bring people who already have tributes to them? A knowing display of your our ignorance?
    purpur1 wrote: »
    Well i don't agree with how he's being awarded a statue but I definitely wouldn't like to see his statue vandalized, nor any of them. It's a sad truth that it more than likely will be. Being Dublin and all...

Maybe, maybe celebrating achievement on a local level will change that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

rovert wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe celebrating achievement on a local level will change that?

Well it's a fair point, (the locals were extremely respectful towards him and his family at the time of the funeral and Stephen's always spoke very highly of the residents in and around the Sheriff St area), so you never know. Maybe that's what Boyzone's thoughts are.... Could be wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Loving all these talent evalutators on here. Quite the in depth review you made here.

That from the person who posted this (post quoted in full):
    Gately was more than (Dublin Entertainer)

Ignore him, folks.

That from the person who posted this (post quoted in full):

Ignore him, folks.

So Gately was just a local celebrity?

So he sold 15 million albums in Sheriff Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Anyone who is seriously interested in who should be commemorated with a statue in Dublin should have a read of this tribute to the Diceman by Alan Stanford.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/erect-a-statue-to-the-man-who-made-grafton-street-stand-still-245718.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I couldn't care less if Boyzone want to pay for it. Although it's the equivilent of them building a statue of Bros in England when one of them die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Could they not have named a bench for him instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

erecting a statue to this prick demeans all the other statues in the city to the great men like Larkin

scudzilla wrote: »
    erecting a statue to this prick demeans all the other statues in the city to the great men like Larkin

And Molly Malone of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Osu wrote: »
    Why? What a waste of money. Obviously his death was sad but to commemorate him through a statue is a disgrace. A clear waste of money, he doesn't deserve a statue.

Better be careful how I post on Steo. The last time I posted on his "suspicious" death I was eaten alive.

What a complete joke. You can bet one thing, Ro and the boyz will get another heap of mileage out of this one.

• Advertisement

And Molly Malone of course

Considering the song has become an anthem for the city I think Molly Malone is fair enough.
    Gately is the "cute one" in manufactured pop band that did bad cover versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

statue?

Who next? Jedward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They're pretty much moving statues already ... :pac:

walshb wrote: »
    Better be careful how I post on Steo. The last time I posted on his "suspicious" death I was eaten alive.

What a complete joke. You can bet one thing, Ro and the boyz will get another heap of mileage out of this one.

^ Hasnt said milking yet, he is slipping

^ Hasnt said milking yet, he is slipping

Well said, rovert (Steo&Boyzone's No 1 fan).

Well said, rovert (Steo&Boyzone's No 1 fan).

Says the guy who flocks to every thread about them.

Says the guy who flocks to every thread about them.

Only after you, but!

I wont eat you for speaking the truth.

Only after you, but!

Funny if true

I wonder if Steo's widow, that is correct, isn't it, will be there, and the Bulgarian?

Edit: Widower

• Advertisement

bazza1 wrote: »
    statue?

Who next? Jedward.
    They could rename O'Connell Street "Jedward Street". Nice ring to it.
    At least the statues would give people a laugh when they went past them! A Gately statue is just pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They could rename O'Connell Street "Jedward Street". Nice ring to it.
    At least the statues would give people a laugh when they went past them! A Gately statue is just pathetic.

We already have a Lord Jedward St!

I wonder if Steo's widow, that is correct, isn't it, will be there, and the Bulgarian?

Edit: Widower

What does this have to with anything besides showing how much you are titulated by it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Superbus wrote: »
    A plaque would have done imo...

Read this as plague.

:pac:

What does this have to with anything besides showing how much you are titulated by it?

Well, seeing as Cowles was his 'husband,' and they were together when Steo died, as Cowles claims, I was just wondering if he'd be there. I mean, surely he should be, if the Boyz are gonna' be there, then he should, no?

Titulated? That a new one for you, rovert?

Well, seeing as Cowles was his 'husband,' and they were together when Steo died, as Cowles claims, I was just wondering if he'd be there. I mean, surely he should be, if the Boyz are gonna' be there, then he should, no?

Titulated? That a new one for you, rovert?

Again what does this have to with topic?

Again what does this have to with topic?

It was a question. I asked if anyone thought Cowles would make an appearance. A question, that is all:rolleyes:

It was a question. I asked if anyone thought Cowles would make an appearance. A question, that is all:rolleyes:

His attendance might hog Ronan's camera time, so maybe he wont be invited!!

Of course that what is. What ever issues you have in regards to morality or your own sexuality please address them.

Thanks

None of this has anything to do with the topic.

• Advertisement

Now back to topic please......

I asked earlier, does public planning permission have to be approved for a statue such as this? Anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So Gately was just a local celebrity?

So he sold 15 million albums in Sheriff Street?

Yawn......still going on about those 15 million albums.
    Golden discs and tower records will be getting a statue too the way you are going on.

Of course that what is. What ever issues you have in regards to morality or your own sexuality please address them.

Thanks

None of this has anything to do with the topic.

Ok, Cowles, Steo's long term partner and then husband, has nothing to do with his dead husband getting a statue erected in his hometown...Yeh, rovert, you must be right:confused:

Jeez, I better not ask if anyone thinks Steo's mam and dad wll be there, they probably have nothing to do with this either.

mikom wrote: »
    Yawn......still going on about those 15 million albums.
    Golden discs and tower records will be getting a statue too the way you are going on.

How else do you quantify success in his profession?

Ok, Cowles, Steo's long term partner and then husband, has nothing to do with his dead husband getting a statue erected in his hometown...Yeh, rovert, you must be right:confused:

Jeez, I better not ask if anyone thinks Steo's mam and dad wll be there, the probabl have nothing to do with this either.

No you were making a sly comment about the night of his death. Stop trolling and resolve whatever issues you have.

How else do you quantify success in his profession?

Him or the group?
    There were 4 others.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Him or the group?
    There were 4 others.

Good one mate

Good one mate

Not your mate....... bud.

• Mr Cawley wrote: »
    worthy of being remembered for all time in irish history?

Come to austria, see our nations finest-- a statue of mozart,
    come to Ireland,............................--a statue of stephen gately

how proud you be of ireland internationally then?

just beacause you've money you shouldn't erect a statue.

that councillour should be ashamed, Joe

What's your point? Just because other Irish people might have 'achieved more' than Stephen doesn't mean he shouldn't get a statue that the rest of Boyzone are paying for. I went to Texas a few years ago and there I saw a statue of the late singer Selena. She wasn't the most famous Texan of all time, but that doesn't mean she didn't deserve a statue. She made a lot of contributions to the local music scene, did charity work etc. Her family paid for it. It's just a nice little tribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Four of them collectively don't have enough talent to merit a statue, let alone one of them.

Given your history of comments on the subject, yes, he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crowdflash

There should be no statue. Burke is a fool.

Let's not forget that Gately and co's security locked out the locals in his constituency from the church.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6879602.ece

"After the celebrities drifted off, with some heading to the Four Seasons hotel in Ballsbridge for a party to celebrate Stephen Gately’s 33 years of life — a small number of Sheriff Street residents were prevented from entering the church by hired security guards. The gates were locked."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

Crowdflash, that is a disgusting homophobic comment. You should be ashamed. You know NOTHING about the Sherriff St community.

Don't you know that Sherriff Street is a gay mecca (praise be allah, blessed be her name), a veritable Celtic Castro of our very own, rivaling San Francisco, Amsterdam, and various Greek islands as a world centre of homosexual thought and deed by day and night. Check out the evidence....

What about the local Judy Garland Community Resource Center, the Lisa Murphy Transgender Quilt project, Panti's Burlesque Cabaret Handle Bars (Twink residency) incorporating the Peter Mandelson Mushy Peanis Sauna Centre , the new Up To His Hilton Edwards Five Star Hotel, the Our Ladyboys of Mercy Spiritual Retreat (formerly Tesco Express) where Mother Mary Bernadette (formerly Sinead O'Connor) performs same sex marriage ceremonies on the hour, every hour?

And just throw a stone in Sherriff Street and it's impossible to hit several dozen leather chaps-wearing moustachioed artists busy writing poetry about the Stonewall riots, why Cathal O'Searchaigh is loike, a victim of heterosexist patriarchal crap, and why that Brenda Power is such a bitch.

Yes, clearly this statue will fit right in (ooh matron).

Nodin wrote: »
    Four of them collectively don't have enough talent to merit a statue, let alone one of them.

Given your history of comments on the subject, yes, he is.

Another classic one liner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crowdflash

How much did Gately put back into his community? SFA.

The Headmistress of the National School attached to the Church afforded Ronan Cheating and the other tossers every facility when they were waking in the Church overnight. She suggested that they might make a little contribution to the school fund in return. Last I heard she's still waiting. Not just Gately who made no contribution...

Of course Shinners like Burke have a track record of supporting the erection of Northside statues of people who contributed **** all to Ireland, haven't they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

guybague wrote: »
    Crowdflash, that is a disgusting homophobic comment. You should be ashamed. You know NOTHING about the Sherriff St community.

Could you not say this to his face seeing as he's sitting right beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Another classic one liner....

Two lines.

2. 1+1=.

II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What's all the fuss about? Let them erect a statue, it'll probably get stolen, and then we can have 2 discussions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

rovert, stop trying to justify this bullshít. the man lived as somebody whose name most people couldn't remember, and died by drinking so much that he drowned in his own puke. hardly any role model to society now, was he?

genericguy wrote: »
    rovert, stop trying to justify this bullshít. the man lived as somebody whose name most people couldn't remember, and died by drinking so much that he drowned in his own puke. hardly any role model to society now, was he?

Rip down the Phil Lynott statue then using that logic.

Im not justifying anything beyound most arguments here are either stupid and/or homophobic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Rip down the Phil Lynott statue then using that logic.

Im not justifying anything beyound most arguments here are either stupid and/or homophobic.
    What are the homophobic arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Are you seriously suggesting that he who is generally regarded as one of the greatest drummers of all time , isn't famous?
    Nice story mate.

John Bonham is a bit more famous than you give him credit for.

Ugh...
    Nevermind,

My point got lost somewhere and I'm not really bothered trying to explain it anymore :)

Of course John Bonham is famous...

Long story short.... I think the statue s a waste of money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement