Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Gately sculpture to be erected at train station

Comments

How can you respectfully compare someone to Jade Goody?

He led a grand and somewhat normal life.. No outstanding talents but in death, got turned into a hero.
    I'm not disrespecting his life, just comparing his death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

[quote=[Deleted User];66819247]I don't see the problem in it. He was a hugely famous singer in a hugely famous band (whether or not you think their music was any good), and was from the area. Never heard about him committing any crimes so it's not as if he was a bad role model. And as for the people suggesting he's only getting a statue because he's gay, cop yourselves on. Do you really think there wouldn't have been a request for a Ronan statue if Ronan Keating had died? I mean, what is the problem here?[/QUOTE]

When Ronan dies a statue of him will be put up in Malahide (he's probably already ordered his own one and polishes it every night), Mikey's in Coolock, and Keith and Shane's in Donaghmede..... Oh god.....
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

[quote=[Deleted User];66819247]I don't see the problem in it. He was a hugely famous singer in a hugely famous band (whether or not you think their music was any good), and was from the area. Never heard about him committing any crimes so it's not as if he was a bad role model. And as for the people suggesting he's only getting a statue because he's gay, cop yourselves on. Do you really think there wouldn't have been a request for a Ronan statue if Ronan Keating had died? I mean, what is the problem here?[/QUOTE]

worthy of being remembered for all time in irish history?

Come to austria, see our nations finest-- a statue of mozart,
    come to Ireland,............................--a statue of stephen gately

how proud you be of ireland internationally then?

just beacause you've money you shouldn't erect a statue.

that councillour should be ashamed, Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

JOE JOE ITS A BLEEDING DISGRACE I TELL YAZ THEY COULD AVE'S SPENT IT ON BUYING A FIELD FOR DA KIDS HORSES JOE

Or a new quip even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Mr Cawley wrote: »

Well said, it's like if Austria put up a statue of Falco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DubMedic wrote: »
    Who's paying for this erection?
    It's spontaneous ... :pac:

Seriously, his bandmates, apparently.

Tbh, I don't really see a pressing argument for a statue of Gately, but, on the other hand, if the band want to pay for one, and the people of the area he grew up in are happy to have it there, I don't see why anyone should get hot under the collar about it either.

One thing he *did* do was present a more positive aspect of the Sheriff St. area, which usually gets a very bad press.

And I agree about Luke Kelly, but maybe what's needed is for *his* bandmates / fans to put up the cash? (I gather some has already been donated).
    purpur1 wrote: »
    Ronan probably ... polishes it every night.
    That's probably true in more senses than one! >_>

just beacause you've money you shouldn't erect a statue.

that councillour should be ashamed

You hit the nail on the head. If it was done by the government due to many requests from members of the public, then fair dues, he's being immortalised and nationally recognised for outstanding service to Irish music. But his wealthy friends are paying for this - it kind of takes away from the importance of it a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If he had not died young there would be no statue. He was relatively famous but I feel he is not deserving of a statue. He has represented Ireland well abroad but I still would not consider him worthy of a statue. I think in years to come he will not be on a list of great Irish people who have benefited our country

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Superbus wrote: »

googes Falco, point well made Sir

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Good to see youve got things in perspective here. A worthy contribution to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

It's spontaneous ... :pac:

Seriously, his bandmates, apparently.

Tbh, I don't really see a pressing argument for a statue of Gately, but, on the other hand, if the band want to pay for one, and the people of the area he grew up in are happy to have it there, I don't see why anyone should get hot under the collar about it either.

That money could be better spent. It could be spent on a youth project to help the disadvantaged youth in the area.
    It will become the dublin city council's responsibility (probably) when 'anto loves shanice' or 'anto and the boyz' is written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

I can't see this happening, but if it does then it will probably be vandalized

That money could be better spent. It could be spent on a youth project to help the disadvantaged youth in the area.
    It will become the dublin city council's responsibility (probably) when 'anto loves shanice' or 'anto and the boyz' is written all over it.
    If it's in the station it will be IE's responsibility ... and presumably will be less likely to be vandalised.

I take your point, though ... but the thing is, as it's not public money that's being spent, none of us have much moral right to *complain* about how it's being spent ... which I would see as quite different from suggesting that there might be better ways to memorialise the lad, which I totally agree with.

Untrue that isnt how it works.

Going by the comments here I dont doubt it.

I agree. I personally think a statue is far too much, he seemed like a nice guy with a nice voice but i don't know why he deserves a statue, obviously his mates think he does and thats nice, but they're using the power of wealth to bypass the importance of being awarded a statue by the State. It's going to be vandalized and the subject of ridicule by certain people. An Inner City youth project named after him would have been far better, something like that might actually change some peoples lives. A statue wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Superbus wrote: »

Incredibly, there's a campaign to do just that.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127728650571689&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

brummytom wrote: »
    And where's Luke Kelly's statue that was proposed years ago? Another Sheriff Street resident who had a huge impact on music.

Couldn't agree more, Luke was a true talent in this country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he was a mediocre singer in a glorified karaoke band

no statue please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

rovert wrote: »
    Good to see homophobia and begrudgery operating side by side here. Boardsies are really operating on over drive.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Can we vloody ban the use of the word "begrudgery" on boards!! It should be up there with Godwin's law and One True Scotsman and the people who use it should be mocked and ridiculed and ran out of AH!! Seriously, one can't comment negatively about any celebrity without some gobdaw rushing in and accusing everyone of begrudgery!! I don't begrudge Stephen Gately anything. I'm perfectly content with my life. And what's more, I'm alive, he's not. So WTF is there to begrudge?! What I do despair of is the relentless promotion and celebration of mediocrity, both here and especially in the UK. I'm sure Gately was a lovely chap who could string a tune together, but he doesn't deserve a prominent statue on a public street in the nationa's capital. Is there a Yeats' statue, one of Synge? How about TK Whitaker or Lemass? Berkeley or Swift?? And yet we want to publicly commemorate a man whose most notable achievments was miming with a few other lads, and being gay?! Seriously, as I said earlier, it's depressing...

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];66819247]And as for the people suggesting he's only getting a statue because he's gay, cop yourselves on.[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons Stepehen Gately was considered a role model wa sbecause he was gay, and the statue is being erected in no small part due to that role. It's not homophobic to say that. It also helps that he was unassuming, unthreatening, and generally a nice fellow with a squeaky clean image (well, other might question that...). They might all be admirable traits in a person, but no reason to raise a public commemorative statue.

The fact that he was in a successful pop band is obviously a factor too, but I gaurantee you that Mikey Graham or Keith Duffy won't be commemorated in a similar fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Untrue that isnt how it works.
    Why don't you tell us how it works so?.
    If it's in the station it will be IE's responsibility ... and presumably will be less likely to be vandalised.

I take your point, though ... but the thing is, as it's not public money that's being spent, none of us have much moral right to *complain* about how it's being spent ... which I would see as quite different from suggesting that there might be better ways to memorialise the lad, which I totally agree with.

A youth centre, built with the assistance of donations from the aforementioned ''band'' would have served a better purpose. Something that will actually be used, and is useful to the community.

This is a good point. Would his life not be commemorated in a more worthwhile fashion if the other Boyzone members donated the money to a gay charity, or even set up scholarships for inner city kids, and named it the Stpehen Gately fund? Erecting the statue is as much about pandering to their own egos as it is about remembering a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't mind a statue being erected if the lads from Boyzone are going to pay for it,

If the council decide to pay for it well then it is a sham.

A statue of Phil Lynott had to be paid for by a fund set up for that purpose, one which took a number of years and hard graft both fundraising and convincing the council of its merits.

Rory Gallagher has been dead years and only got one this year in much the same circumstances.

Luke Kelly has been dead years and no movement at all it seems on going through with the plan.

Joke really.

Einhard wrote: »
    Is there a Yeats' statue, one of Synge? How about TK Whitaker or Lemass? Berkeley or Swift??

There's a statue of Yeats in Sligo and a bust of Swift in St Pat's Cathedral in Dublin, and Berkeley has a whole town named after him as well as the Trinity library - I think he might have a memorial in Cloyne as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Good to see homophobia and begrudgery operating side by side here. Boardsies are really operating on over drive.

How about they produce a Steven Gately commemorative stamp instead, so you can lick his backside should the need arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ah ok so when will we have a Gerry Ryan statue built then ?

mikom wrote: »
    How about they produce a Steven Gately commemorative stamp instead, so you can lick his backside should the need arise.
    I don't think his need is going to arise at this stage ...

fryup wrote: »
    he was a mediocre singer in a glorified karaoke band

no statue please

Credible opinion here
    I agree. I personally think a statue is far too much, he seemed like a nice guy with a nice voice but i don't know why he deserves a statue, obviously his mates think he does and thats nice, but they're using the power of wealth to bypass the importance of being awarded a statue by the State. It's going to be vandalized and the subject of ridicule by certain people. An Inner City youth project named after him would have been far better, something like that might actually change some peoples lives. A statue wont.

Lets rip down the Phil Lynott statue too using most of this logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikom wrote: »

If that were the case, I'd opt for the self-adhesive ones.:eek:

This is a good point. Would his life not be commemorated in a more worthwhile fashion if the other Boyzone members donated the money to a gay charity, or even set up scholarships for inner city kids, and named it the Stpehen Gately fund? Erecting the statue is as much about pandering to their own egos as it is about remembering a friend.

You're completely right. I can only imagine the amount of mileage they'll get out of the PR surrounding this. Probably another album, accidently on purpose released the same week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Welcome to AH were objectivity and factual evidence are a rarity.

Explain how he wasnt a talented singer?

If what you say happens what makes this different from a great many statues?
    Maybe if its going to be a singing statue so least we forget the talent that was robbed of us.

There's a statue of Yeats in Sligo and a bust of Swift in St Pat's Cathedral in Dublin, and Berkeley has a whole town named after him as well as the Trinity library - I think he might have a memorial in Cloyne as well.

I was using their names to make a broader point. Anyway, Swift is remembered in a private building. And the town of Berkeley is in California. They name a whole city after the man, and we don't even have a statue of him. Yet we're prepared to publicly commemorate a man who made little or no lasting impression on Ireland or the world. It's pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Maybe if its going to be a singing statue so least we forget the talent that was robbed of us.

A €2 coin slot and flashing red eyes would be good.

I was using their names to make a broader point.

Sure mate rather than feining interest in these figures to rabble, rabble.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok a statues of him IS a bit much i must say, a bench with his name on it would be loads better, but since (and remember this) the boys from boyzone are paying for it and IE are going to have it on there grounds and will look after it who is it hurting really???? Your not paying for it!
    Sure the money could go to a youth centre which would be loads better, but that will prob only happen if someone can set up a partition against a statues and for a youth centre in Stevens name in the area, anybody...?

I must say as a gay man myself, i dont care much for boyzone and never have, they kinda suck really, but he did help in a small way to push the country forward with people excepting gay people and helpin young gay men and women to come out and also that he was a nice guy too, for that i think he should be remembered in years to come!!!!

P.S. If i had the cash i would get a bench or statues put up of myself, who wouldnt? Money talks especially to Dublin City Council as we all know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If he wasn't gay I really don't think he'd be getting a statue, so putting up a statue of a dead gay person on the basis that they were gay is a bit silly in my view. We already have one of Oscar Wilde and if we needed another (which we don't) my vote would go to the diceman rather than a total z-list no talent like gately who will be completely totally forgotten in about 10 yrs.

Who is the diceman? :confused:

Morlar wrote: »
    If he wasn't gay I really don't think he'd be getting a statue, so putting up a statue of a dead gay person on the basis that they were gay is a bit silly in my view. We already have one of Oscar Wilde and if we needed another (which we don't) my vote would go to the diceman rather than a total z-list no talent like gately who will be completely totally forgotten in about 10 yrs.

Dumb post in this thread so far all the way round. How much Oscar Wilde have you read?

Who is the diceman? :confused:

He was the stephen gately of his day. About 20 yrs ago :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceman_%28Dublin_entertainer%29

rolleyes:

Dumb post in this thread so far all the way round. How much Oscar Wilde have you read?

Sorry Trevor the troll - life's too short.

• Advertisement

Gately was more than (Dublin Entertainer)

Ah right, thanks! :)

Sorry Trevor the troll - life's too short.

How am I trolling Im not the one making homophobic comments?

I take it as a no.

Lets rip down the Phil Lynott statue too using most of this logic.

His statue fund was set up over 20 years ago and it took that long to obtain the necessary funds through fan donations and donanted record sales to produce a statue. It wasn't solely the input of wealthy friends. It was mainly the input of an interested public. I think it was a different case entirely to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

brummytom wrote: »
    What exactly did Stephen Gately to qualify him for this?

Died young.

His statue fund was set up over 20 years ago and it took that long to obtain the necessary funds through fan donations and donanted record sales to produce a statue. It wasn't solely the input of wealthy friends. It was mainly the input of an interested public. I think it was a different case entirely to this one.

Im aware of all that.

That is only one aspect. People are using the argument that Gately should have one because it would be vandalised. Phil's has been vandalised a few times.

Gately was more than (Dublin Entertainer)

The Diceman had talent.

Sure mate rather than feining interest in these figures to rabble, rabble.

Congrats rovert. Rarely am I rendered speechless by the idiocy of a remark, but you've succeeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The locals will have it vandalized anyway.

When you see a church with metal gratings over the windows it's never a good sign.
    And that's how St. Laurence's church is.

If the church could be vandalized then what respect will a statue get?

• Advertisement

Im aware of all that.

That is only one aspect. People are using the argument that Gately should have one because it would be vandalised. Phil's has been vandalised a few times.

Well i don't agree with how he's being awarded a statue but I definitely wouldn't like to see his statue vandalized, nor any of them. It's a sad truth that it more than likely will be. Being Dublin and all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement