Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Irish Army WW2 Deserters (to join B.A.) be pardoned ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No - they should NOT be Pardoned.
    I think there are some people who disgrace the uniform.

I'm sorry I took part in this thread.

I'm not sorry to have worn the uniform.

I think it brings dishonour to us ALL, back over 300 years, let alone a few decades, to have had to listen to some of the posts in this thread.

May all those who served, fought and died for the Irish Cause be blessed, and all those others forgiven.

The Brotherhood is eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Other - Please explain.
    gbee wrote: »
    I think there are some people who disgrace the uniform.

I'm sorry I took part in this thread.

I'm not sorry to have worn the uniform.

I think it brings dishonour to us ALL, back over 300 years, let alone a few decades, to have had to listen to some of the posts in this thread.

May all those who served, fought and died for the Irish Cause be blessed, and all those others forgiven.

The Brotherhood is eternal.

Sorry, sunshine, but you don't get to say that in the same thread that you also said:
    I'd go so far as to say that the 5,000 who stayed behind are cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Other - Please explain.
    Less of the handbags please gents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Other - Please explain.
    Personally, I voted No.

Those men swore an oath to this country upon deciding to serve this state. They deserted at a time when they were needed. They had an option to seek a discharge but rather than do so, they went AWOL.

Regardless of the deeds they carried out during WW2, they deserted this country and it's Army.

So no, they shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

Other - Please explain.
    Poccington wrote: »
    Personally, I voted No.

Those men swore an oath to this country upon deciding to serve this state. They deserted at a time when they were needed. They had an option to seek a discharge but rather than do so, they went AWOL.

Regardless of the deeds they carried out during WW2, they deserted this country and it's Army.

^^^All that needs to be said on the matter.

What is it with us Irish we're always looking for the grey area

• Advertisement

Gooleybag wrote: »
    What is it with us Irish we're always looking for the grey area

I think it's called charity.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Other - Please explain.
    I cant abide by someone taking an oath to defend us and then going AWOL to fight with a foreign power regardless of the eventual outcome.

We are all speaking now with the benefit of hindsight in terms of the Nazi menace etc.

I would hate to think that it could be that easy to abandon one's vows and pledges in future.

I admire their tenacity to fight, but they knew what they were doing when they left and what it meant. They should live by their decisions. It's a cross I'm sure they were willing to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Poccington wrote: »
    Personally, I voted No.

Did they have the option to discharge? why did so many desert if that option was there? I don't know; does anyone else here?

I would agree with you if those involved had been charged, convicted if found guilty and punished. However we know that didn't happen. What followed for them was totally unfair and that's the only reason why I believe they should be pardoned now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Other - Please explain.
    Did they have the option to discharge? why did so many desert if that option was there? I don't know; does anyone else here?

I would agree with you if those involved had been charged, convicted if found guilty and punished. However we know that didn't happen. What followed for them was totally unfair and that's the only reason why I believe they should be pardoned now.

I am not sure about their option to discharge themselves. The reasons for desertion seem to be complex, and it would seem included the greater wages in the B.A.

Can I ask why do you consider it was 'totally unfair' that deserters lose their benefits and are barred from state employment for 7 years ?

Would you consider them totally unfair in comparison with the penalties in other countries (either at that time or now) ?

I am not aware of any other countries where in comparison Irish penalties for desertion (in this case) are more extreme.

I'd consider this a bad precedent for any state to make. There is also (imo) the inevitable risk of a flood of backdated compensation claims by descendants to consider, in any potential pardon legislation.

Morlar wrote: »
    Can I ask why do you consider it was 'totally unfair' that deserters lose their benefits and are barred from state employment for 7 years ?

Where it's unfair is this should have been a cut off point, end of, punishment complete. If it was we'd not be hearing about it today, and whilst no one is actively pursuing these men, it should be made official.

If a few had been court-martial then, they could have been hung or shot dead ~ or get 5~7 prison, maybe 10 years and it would be over.

• Advertisement

Other - Please explain.
    Where it's unfair is this should have been a cut off point, end of, punishment complete. If it was we'd not be hearing about it today, and whilst no one is actively pursuing these men, it should be made official.

If a few had been court-martial then, they could have been hung or shot dead ~ or get 5~7 prison, maybe 10 years and it would be over.

That post doesn't really make any sense to me. There was a cutoff point of 7 yrs. No one at any point has said or claimed otherwise.

Can I point you to this impartial, non emotive, factual analysis of this situation :

http://www.forthesakeofexample.com/DeV%27s%20Treatment%20of%20Irish%20Deserters%20by%20Bernard%20Kelly%20History%20Ireland%20September%202011.pdf

You are hearing about it today because of an orchestrated advocacy/ lobbying campaign which considers that these men should not have been punished at all. That is what the pardon request is for. No one is pursuing these men. No one ever pursued these men. They lost their benefits and their names were added to a list which barred them from state employment for a period of 7 years. They were perfectly at liberty to take up any non-state funded employment, so in actual fact their penalty was loss of accrued benefits. On what basis would any part of that need to be 'made official' ?

The reason there were not court martialed is the simple quantity of men involved. Had there been courts martial it would have cost the state a fortune in 5,000 plus individual court cases. This is aside from the fact that the penalties would have been more extreme which was something the then govt sought to avoid. The blanket 7-yr ban from State funded employment was seen as a reasonable compromise resulting in no need for 5,000 court cases & prison time etc.

Other - Please explain.
    FYI here also is the homepage for the Pardon campaign.

http://www.forthesakeofexample.com

You will note the tone of language used prominently :
    Irish Soldiers Pardons Campaign (WW2)

In support of pardons for servicemen who allegedly deserted the Irish Defence forces during world war two to fight fascism and whom in August 1945 were dismissed en masse and in absentia by the Irish government through the introduction of legislation in Dail Eireann pursuant to Emergency Powers Order (No 362) 1945.

There is nothing 'allegedly' about the desertion.

Nevertheless this campaign has recieved substantial media coverage from british media, I.T., Independent etc. I genuinely don't understand the lack of a balance within the media on this subject. Every article, story, report I have seen or read on this issue has been totally unquestioning of the version of history put forward by this campaign. I would say the media response to this issue is bordering on outright unquestioning support.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

@Morlar

You have presented a good case and the article is quite fair. Most of my reading on this topic has inferred that the ban on state employment was actually carried out for a longer period, however I have not seen evidence to support it. It's not unlikely IMO.

However, having considered Dev's alleged thought process behind the decision it does now seem reasonable to me anyway. I would still like to know if the option to discharge was available. If they could with little difficulty or cost but chose not to, a pardon seems unrealistic.

Thanks for info;)

That post doesn't really make any sense to me. There was a cutoff point of 7 yrs. No one at any point has said or claimed otherwise.

Can I point you to this impartial, non emotive, factual analysis of this situation :

I read it, excellent read. However, as obvious by this thread as well as the Times and Examiner letter pages, a large section of people don't see it as a cut off point. It is a cut off point, BUT it has not been made official, an inaction by the state cannot be taken as accepting this time period.

Just a thought lads and ladies, we've already pardoned and even elected to various government's members of the IRA and murderers and bomb planters from the times of the troubles.

And some of ye are still carrying a can for the guy who joined up in 1940 wanting to fight and instead was sent cutting turf and paid less and was generally at a loose end in an Army that was itself little more than a collection of boy scout units [at the time].

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Other - Please explain.
    in an Army that was itself little more than a collection of boy scout units [at the time].

And still, there's no end to it. Explain to me how you square this with your claimed eternal respect for the uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Other - Please explain.
    Maoltuile wrote: »
    And still, there's no end to it. Explain to me how you square this with your claimed eternal respect for the uniform?

To be fair, at the beginning of the emergency, the Irish army were woefully short on weaponry of any sort. Most of the Propaganda photos of the era show soldiers manning checkpoints with wooden mockup guns. There was no shortage of rifles, mostly Bolt Action Springfields left over from WW1, a few hundred machine guns, and the rest whatever the brits left after them when they went home in 1922. The Army at the start of the Emergency had good intentions, but little else.

Other - Please explain.
    Just a thought lads and ladies, we've already pardoned and even elected to various government's members of the IRA and murderers and bomb planters from the times of the troubles.

Except no one is talking about an early release programme for these men as they bypassed prison to begin with. Not to mention the little fact that IRA members can still be prosecuted for crimes committed pre gfa.
    The Army at the start of the Emergency had good intentions, but little else.

They also had the 26th Battalion of War of Independence veterans and a wealth of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Other - Please explain.
    To be fair, at the beginning of the emergency, the Irish army were woefully short on weaponry of any sort. Most of the Propaganda photos of the era show soldiers manning checkpoints with wooden mockup guns. There was no shortage of rifles, mostly Bolt Action Springfields left over from WW1, a few hundred machine guns, and the rest whatever the brits left after them when they went home in 1922. The Army at the start of the Emergency had good intentions, but little else.

This is completely untrue.

As of March 1940, the Irish Army had over 42,000 Lee Enfield .303 rifles, the same weapon as was standard issue in the British Army of the time. It also had over 1,400 heavy and light machine guns.

The inventory linked to indicates that the Springfield rifles you mention weren't even delivered until later in 1940 and 1941, and were mainly issued to the LDF (predecessor to the FCA).

Other - Please explain.
    gizmo555 wrote: »
    This is completely untrue.

As of March 1940, the Irish Army had over 42,000 Lee Enfield .303 rifles, the same weapon as was standard issue in the British Army of the time. It also had over 1,400 heavy and light machine guns.

The inventory linked to indicates that the Springfield rifles you mention weren't even delivered until later in 1940 and 1941, and were mainly issued to the LDF (predecessor to the FCA).

Those figures looked familiar, I am sure I have read them before but couldn't find where. They also had various bofors guns placed in an air defence ring around Dublin for example, mobile units in the Phoenix park, Howth and somewhere round kiliney hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Other - Please explain.
    Those figures looked familiar, I am sure I have read them before but couldn't find where. They also had various bofors guns placed in an air defence ring around Dublin for example, mobile units in the Phoenix park, Howth and somewhere round kiliney hill.

And nowhere else. Remember, there was a country outside dublin back then also. I don't think my statement was inaccurate, given the link provided. Worth having a read of "Ireland during the emergency" for the true situation when ireland was at greatest risk, during the period after dunkirk, before the Battle of Britain.
    There was a great series on TV in the 80s also "Caught in a free state" about the Nazi Spies who arrived in ireland with the intention of co-ordinating the efforts of the IRA against the free State Government to provide a Backdoor into Britain. Luckily most were rounded up due to good intel work and in some cases, Luck. Against an army that had taken over most of continental Europe in a matter of weeks, during 1940, it would have been unsuprising for a member of the Irish DF to see the writing on the wall regarding poor equipment, and instead take your chances fighting the foe in an army that was at least making an effort to fight back.

A handful of torpedo boats and armed trawlers would not stop a Kriegsmarine with Armoured Battle Cruisers
    A squadron of fighters backed up by byplanes would not stop a Luftwaffe equipped with hundreds of modern bombers and state of the art fighters.
    Bolt action large calibre rifles would not stop Panzer tanks.
    The notion of Guerrilla warfare holding back the enemy may have worked for the Old enemy, eventually, but it had not worked for the Resistance forces of Central Europe, who paid a huge cost protecting their homland from the invader, with no success.

Other - Please explain.
    I don't think my statement was inaccurate, given the link provided.

Well then you can't have read it very carefully, because there's simply no way to reconcile the facts in it with these totally false assertions of yours:
    To be fair, at the beginning of the emergency, the Irish army were woefully short on weaponry of any sort . . . The Army at the start of the Emergency had good intentions, but little else.
    Bolt action large calibre rifles would not stop Panzer tanks.

This is true to a point, they were only effective against lightly armoured vehicles. However, the Boys anti-tank rifle and similar weapons were standard issue in the British Army and other European armies of the time. The Boys rifle wasn't replaced by the British until the PIAT came into service in the middle of 1943.
    it would have been unsuprising for a member of the Irish DF to see the writing on the wall regarding poor equipment, and instead take your chances fighting the foe in an army that was at least making an effort to fight back.

See, this is the point, and arguments about the quantity and quality of equipment don't change it. Even if they were only armed with pikes, once they enlisted in the Irish Army that decision was no longer theirs to take.

It's important to note that in comparison to deserters from other armies of the time, none of these men were conscripts. The choice to enlist in the Irish Army in the first place was entirely theirs, with no compulsion of any kind. Once they made it, though, they had an obligation to live up to it.

The disparaging comments in this thread made about the men who honoured their commitments to this state and literally stuck to their guns are also highly insulting. The facts are that both the British and the Germans gave serious consideration to invading Ireland and a significant factor in their final decisions not to was the deterrent effect that these men provided - they deserve our thanks, not insults and accusations of cowardice.

The facts are that both the British and the Germans gave serious consideration to invading Ireland and a significant factor in their final decisions not to was the deterrent effect that these men provided -

I suggest that this is a rose coloured glasses look back at history. Churchill planned to take the ports back, Hitler had a bombing plan for Cork Harbour.

It was more likely our 'neutrality' to BOTH sides that allowed refuelling and berthing and provision of tractor parts form Ford and we were more helpful as a 'neutral' state than hostile.

Dublin was bombed in August 1940 by 'stray' German bombers, it was thought locally that this was a warning to Dev that he was being TOO neutral to Britain.

Other - Please explain.
    Dublin was bombed in August 1940 by 'stray' German bombers, it was thought locally that this was a warning to Dev that he was being TOO neutral to Britain.

That's just supposition. Another unproven theory was that british mainpulation of direction-finding radio beams directed the LW bombers to believe they were over britain when they were in fact over Ireland. Both theories are equally unproven.

Other - Please explain.
    I suggest that this is a rose coloured glasses look back at history. Churchill planned to take the ports back, Hitler had a bombing plan for Cork Harbour.

I'm not really sure what point you're making here, but let's try this thought experiment.

We know, as you say, that the British had a plan to take the treaty ports back and if they had, that they would have become military targets for the Germans, resulting in Ireland becoming yet another WWII battlefield.

Let's assume that there was no army in Ireland at all in 1940 and that we would not have been able to resist in any way if the British had decided to take the ports back - that the Royal Navy could just have sailed back in, set up shop and carried on as though they never left in 1938. Do you really think the British wouldn't have done just that?

Other - Please explain.
    Why have we taken to describing a British invasion of Neutral Ireland as 'taking the treaty ports back' ?

That seems to be an intentionally misleading choice of words imo.

It is not safe to assume that britain would have been interested in or even capable of a strictly limited invasion of Ireland to solely take ownership of Irish Ports Britain deemed militarily necessary and nothing more. Which is what the above choice of words implies.

This would have required an all out military invasion & occupation of Neutral Ireland & a 2nd Anglo-Irish War.

Other - Please explain.
    Why have we taken to describing a British invasion of Neutral Ireland as 'taking the treaty ports back' ?

That seems to be an intentionally misleading choice of words imo.

Well, it's not my intention to mislead anyone . . .

Other - Please explain.
    Well, it's not my intention to mislead anyone . . .

I didn't think you were :) A different user introduced this choice of words for a British invasion of Neutral Ireland. I just thought it was odd.

that the Royal Navy could just have sailed back in, set up shop and carried on as though they never left in 1938. Do you really think the British wouldn't have done just that?

It's all they'd have had to do. Realistically, the Irish Army could not retaliate as they'd be fighting both Britain and Germany.

Our only hope to prevent a German invasion would rely on Britain, assisting Britain, even the forceful reoccupation of the ports, would result in massive bombing raids.

The Irish Army would not be able to expel the British forces nor defend against the German forces.

In the end, for both antagonists, having a 'safe' place to hold up in was considered a benefit.

I][SIZE="1"]ps and as we know some ports, Bantry in particular were in fact used anyway, but that's still a secret[/SIZE][/I

• Advertisement

Other - Please explain.
    Originally Posted by gizmo555 View Post
    that the Royal Navy could just have sailed back in, set up shop and carried on as though they never left in 1938. Do you really think the British wouldn't have done just that?

It's all they'd have had to do. Realistically, the Irish Army could not retaliate as they'd be fighting both Britain and Germany.

We are straying further and further from any kind of fact, or history based discussion here.

What evidence are you putting forward to justify your claim that britain could have invaded Neutral Ireland during WW2 and faced no opposition whatsoever ?

Advertisement