Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Race Bike

• 22-05-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Looking for some help please??
    I would like to get a bike that I could use for triathlons / road racing / duathlons etc over the next few years.
    As this is my first bike , I really have no idea about gears / carbon / tyres etc
    I would be looking to get a bike under the BTW scheme & would have a budget of €1200.
    So far I have narrowed it down to
    Giant Defy 1
    Cannondale CAAD8
    Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted
    Would be hoping to get a good 5 years of work out if this bike & really want to get the right one now & not have to be changing again in a few years if it was not up to the job
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

The sky is the limit of course in terms of choice but in terms of a competitive race bike a suggested min. spec. you should be looking at would be.

Carbon frame and forks
    Ultegra Groupset Equivalent or better (105 probably ok to start)
    Mavic Kysirium level equivalent wheelset or better.

The gross cost of this type spec is typically between €1500 and €2500 (pre any BTW reductions).

Have a look at Cube and also online Canyon offerings as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

At the €1200 mark you will tend to get a good bike frame with a mostly 105 groupset and relatively poor wheels/brake callipers/front derailleur.

Try to bargain with the bike shop to get better wheels. At that price point better wheels will make a bigger difference then better finishing kit or groupset.

As the previous poster suggested, spend as much as possible the first time to avoid going back next year to get ultegra gruppo or more expensive Mavic wheels.

The MOST important thing is that the bike fits you properly. Get a good bike fit, it will save injuries and make you faster on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

or buy something like this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057211987 secondhand to get the better quality groupset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

If you can stretch out to €1299 I would suggest a Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0

Not a carbon frame but it only weights 7.95 kilograms and has full carbon forks with a Shimano 11-speed Ultegra groupset. It really seems to be great value and the black on black looks slick :cool:. I'm looking at getting the slightly lower spec'd Roadlite AL 6.0 on the BTW scheme myself.

Advertisement