Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Bike!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

The ridley for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

I have Giant Defy myself and for a starter bike I could not fault it. Comfortable to cycle on and I wont be changing it too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The ridley has a good spec but beware that actual colour scheme came out in 2005/2006 so the bike is probably a fair age.

The Felt is a 2012 bike and so much newer, all it needs is a new rear tyre to match the front. I can never understand why people replace single tyres with a completely different color tyre to the remaining one.

The trek is a carbon bike and so probably the highest spec frame of all those you listed but it looks like it has a triple chain set of it and so I wouldn't chose it for that reason alone.

The Defy while a good bike looks to be sora spec and so i'd avoid it too.

I wouldn't touch the Teng bike, its been for sale on donedeal for the last 12 months almost and god only knows what kinda bike it actually is, its probably a generic chinese alloy frame that teng had painted in their colours, either way I'd stay well away from it purely because it was a promotional bike, Teng make tools not bikes.

I don't like specialized and so i wouldnt consider it and I also dont like white bikes so that would rule out the Corratec although i think theyre supposed to be a decent bike.

CJC999 wrote: »
    The ridley has a good spec but beware that actual colour scheme came out in 2005/2006 so the bike is probably a fair age.

The Felt is a 2012 bike and so much newer, all it needs is a new rear tyre to match the front. I can never understand why people replace single tyres with a completely different color tyre to the remaining one.

The trek is a carbon bike and so probably the highest spec frame of all those you listed but it looks like it has a triple chain set of it and so I wouldn't chose it for that reason alone.

The Defy while a good bike looks to be sora spec and so i'd avoid it too.

I wouldn't touch the Teng bike, its been for sale on donedeal for the last 12 months almost and god only knows what kinda bike it actually is, its probably a generic chinese alloy frame that teng had painted in their colours, either way I'd stay well away from it purely because it was a promotional bike, Teng make tools not bikes.

I don't like specialized and so i wouldnt consider it and I also dont like white bikes so that would rule out the Corratec although i think theyre supposed to be a decent bike.

So the Felt looks a good bike?

The Trek caught my eye, but seems to be an older bike too, whats the problem with triple chain sets?

Whats the downside to specialized? Outside of the Trek it seems the most expensive of all the bikes new?

Colour isn't an issue, just want a bike that performs, so I don't mind the Corratec being white.

Sorry for the questions, but this is my first road bike and hope to be doing 200Km+ a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Ridley or the Paginini (sp?) for me. This is not based on a huge amount of knowledge though! They may be quite old too.

You would have to go to Longford for the Felt.Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth that particular trauma.*

*and I say that as someone sadly from Longford!

Damo810 wrote: »
    So the Felt looks a good bike?

The Trek caught my eye, but seems to be an older bike too, whats the problem with triple chain sets?

Whats the downside to specialized? Outside of the Trek it seems the most expensive of all the bikes new?

Colour isn't an issue, just want a bike that performs, so I don't mind the Corratec being white.

Sorry for the questions, but this is my first road bike and hope to be doing 200Km+ a week.

Yeah the felt is a good bike, its a 2012 bike with a good spec/group set...just getting a matching rear tyre for it.

Triples are fine if you live in very hilly areas and do a lot of steep climbing but for everyday road use then you'll rarely use the smallest ring. Triples are also more temperamental in setting up and tend to give more bother than standard doubles or compact cranksets and they're heavier.

Nothing wrong with Specialized's, I just don't like them or their sloping top tube and they tend to be more expensive for no reason other than the name but if you like the bike then go and see it. I was just giving my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, i'l probably stick a bid on the felt tomorrow! Might be a bit over budget, but if it's a good bike!

Damo810 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, i'l probably stick a bid on the felt tomorrow! Might be a bit over budget, but if it's a good bike!

I'd say you should be able to get the bike for around the €600 mark. The 2014 F75 is €1150 new, they're basically the same bikes with different paint schemes so around €600 would be a fair price, I think.

Advertisement